It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Obsession on upcoming surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
RunBikeRun
(female)

RunBikeRun HB User
Obsession on upcoming surgery

I'm 5 weeks away from repair of a large posterior/medial osteochondral defect on my talus, Evan's osteotomy, and Kidner procedure to remove my painful accessory navicular bone and reattach my PTT on my right foot.

While my pain is consistently at a level I can manage with OTC NSAIDs and some ice, I'm at peace with my decision to go forward with the surgery because it's not going to get better on it's own, the risks with the surgery go up with age (I'm 47 now), and I can't do the activities I love. I used to run 20-30 miles a week, but now I'm unable to run more than a few steps, walking on flat ground is very limited, and I can't handle uneven ground for any distance. The current issues came to a head after I tried to rehab after a stress fracture to the same foot last year, an injury made worse by my flattening foot.

I've read everything I can about the procedures, including white papers, medical journals, and medical device company literature. I've watched videos of the procedures. I've checked the FDA for recalls on the screws, anchors, plates, and substances I'll be getting. I've read probably thousands of blog posts about individual experiences.

From the stress fracture last year, I'm quite familiar with being NWB - I had 7 weeks in a cast totally non-weight bearing after 8 in a boot when the fracture was slow to heal. I have crutches, a knee scooter, and a shower chair, along with a host of other smaller tools to make the recovery more manageable. And my elevation wedge is on the way.

My issue is a nagging feeling that things could go horribly wrong. The success rates for all of the procedures are relatively high. I have a surgeon I trust who is a national leader on fixing OCDs and a track record of scores, if not hundreds, of the other procedures.
But there are risks, and I worry that my number will be up.

I'm looking for some happy success stories from others who have walked this journey. Nothing sugar-coated. Just the facts that things go fine most of the time to help me feel more at ease.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply