It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

jock itch/athletes foot

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
jeffreyl
Inactive
(male)

jeffreyl HB User
jock itch/athletes foot

does jock itch have a permanent cure other than applying every now and then lotrimin ultra? what is the underlying cause of this skin condition? what about athletes foot? how come both go away but eventually return, why is that? does either have a permanent cure or not? my doctor told me to use lotrimin ultra but only if absolutely necessary but he said that i use medicated powder for both on daily basis because it wont damage my skin. do either one have a permanent cure or not? does somebody know? rsvp. thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: jock itch/athletes foot

Jeffreyyl,
Both althletes foot and jock itch are the same fungus. The fungus is called tinea cruris. Where you get it changes the name, but its all the same. Yes, they are completely treatable with products like what your doctor suggested; however, you have to use them as directed, twice a day for up to a month to completely rid yourself of the fungus.

The fungus comes from damp conditions. Not drying off between your toes, walking around on a contaminated floor without socks (such as a locker room), even walking in the wet sidewalk by the pool can give you athletes foot...jock itch is the same, sweating in your underwear and not changing them right away or properly cleaning your body from sweat after working out or playing sports. Sitting around in damp workout shorts will do it. The best thing to do is always wear flip flops and dry off between your toes well when you shower/ bathe...and to keep hygiene extreme when you are sweating in your groin area...always shower and cleanse well and again, dry well around your groin.

If you use the products as directed, this will go away. Some people are more prone to picking up the fungus than others....in my house my husband gets it almost every summer. During that time I have the kids wear flip flops in the shower to prevent them from getting it, use bleach on EVERYTHING including his towels, sheets and the bathroom floor/ tub until its gone.

I hope this helps.

Reply Reply

« Hand eczema | - »