It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

life expectancy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
jeffreyl
Inactive
(male)

jeffreyl HB User
life expectancy

how can we increase life expectancy? apart from diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes what else can we do to increase our life expectancy? japan has the highest life expectancy of any country, why is that? should i be eating tofu or do more yoga? what is the key or secret to living longer like the japanese do? is it our genes or something else that ultimately determines this? what has the final say of how long were gonna live? does anyone know? if i want to live longer, what should i be doing while im still young so i can live past the century mark? rsvp. thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: life expectancy

In truth.....it's in your genes, tendencies for disease, factors of infections, environment, etc to trigger said gene tendencies into action, etc.
Meat isn't bad for you.....eating balanced, exercising moderately, having good self-emotional and self-mental awareness, and not believing any extremes as cures or life extending, etc is a good thing. Many (perceived) healthy people drop dead because of heart defect that presented from pushing their bodies to extremes or have ignored symptoms and refuse to see doctors because they believe docs are pill pushers.

One doesnt know one's life span since this only one go-around, and we can't do it over again to make changes.

You might consider to have genetic testing done for disease tendencies.
Your future of old will be different than mine since I'm soon to be 64 and have health disease which are inherited.
Life expectancy isnt without issues....and your body will change with time. You won't remain as you are through eating tofu and doing yoga.

Be well, find the balance without being polarised in one way or the other.

q

Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: life expectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyl View Post
how can we increase life expectancy? apart from diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes what else can we do to increase our life expectancy?
Don't take up any dangerous sport like sky diving. Don't ride motor cycles. Fasten your seat belt when driving and don't drink and drive. Don't take up a hazardous occupation, of which there are many. All of these things count.

Quote:
japan has the highest life expectancy of any country, why is that? should i be eating tofu or do more yoga? what is the key or secret to living longer like the japanese do?
The last I heard, the Japanese in Okinawa had the highest percentage of centenarians in their population. (Although, the younger Okinawans are gradually consuming more fast food.) Look at any healthy population and you will notice that they eat more natural whole foods and a lot less animal protein. The Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda California live 10 years longer than the rest of the U.S. population. And most of them are vegetarians and vegans. Those who do eat meat eat less than one serving per week on average. (This was from a large long term study)

Quote:
is it our genes or something else that ultimately determines this?
Well, if you get some dreaded disease it's convenient to blame it on your genes. But the Okinawans have the same genes that we do. And so do the Seventh Day Adventists. A study was done of second generation Japanese-Americans and they were found to have the same rates of disease as the rest of the U.S. population.

Quote:
what has the final say of how long were gonna live? does anyone know? if i want to live longer, what should i be doing while im still young so i can live past the century mark? rsvp. thank you.
Eat less animal protein, sugar and other processed foods.
These are the foods that speed up the aging process. Animal protein contains Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF1) Sugar, and starches that are easily converted to sugar, will increase insulin growth factor.

There's an advantage to having a low BMI as long as you don't go below 18. Staying between 18 and 19 is ideal. Research has been done on this. As your BMI goes up, your risk of death from all causes goes up accordingly. (This obviously excludes professional body builders and some non-professional body builders. That's why I think it would also help to take one's percentage of body fat into consideration.)

This is not the whole story but just a quick overview. You can do more research on your own if you like.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Reply Reply