It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

generic Fosamax

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
suem
(female)

suem HB User
generic Fosamax

Wondering if anyone is on the generic form of Fosamax (alendronate)?
Back is weaker and weaker and last dexascan was not good.
Trying to decide what I can tolerate and afford.
Appreciate any advice or information.
suem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
re: generic Fosamax

I've heard too many horror stories about these drugs. Have you talked with your gyno about HRT? My density has improved over the years and they give the reason completely as being on estrogen.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
40mills
(female)

40mills HB User

I used fosamax only for 2 wks about 15 years ago. I had to stop it due to sharp pains in my liver. Also it really inflamed my esophagus. (My esophagus is still inflamed after all these years.)
I would suggest you read about its side effects before you decide to take Fosamax or the generic.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

There are other solutions that don't seriously harm the body. I suggest always reading side effects before getting a prescription, then decide if the side effects are worth the possible results. One exception is a bacterial infection. Then it is better to stop the infection.

Please do consider getting on female hormones. Get a gynecologist that is a female who prescribes natural female hormone therapy will know how to prescribe the least amount that will still protect your body. Male gynos just don't share the same experiences as females and in my own experience & opinion don't know or care as much.

Normal menopause leaves intact ovaries that can give out just enough hormone, but as you likely know, many of us needed uterus and ovaries removed due to disease, or the ovaries just stop functioning due to aging, much like other parts of the body. However, sometimes we need hormone therapy before menopause. Ask your gynecologist about it. If you don't get satisfactory response, if you can, try a different gynecologist.

Pharmacists can tell you which doctors prescribe female hormones.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 08-12-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
suem
(female)

suem HB User
Re: generic Fosamax

Thank You for your response. For the past year,I have been reading the side affects of the biophosphate meds and it is really scary. My doctor has really put the pressure on me about trying one of the meds. I feel lack of Estrogen is what caused this in the first place. He just doesnt want to order the estrogen.I will keep trying.
suem

Old 08-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

why doesn't he want to prescribe HRT? Do you have something in your family history? If not, he needs a good reason not to prescribe it. I have no female cancers in my family going out to great aunts. Only one case of male cancer and he was 83 when he was dxed and smoked. My sister, who is 71, has been on an estrogen patch since she had a hysterectomy at 36. I'm 72 and have been on it since I was 57 and had been on birth control for about 30 years. My bone density scan has gone from -1.9 to -1.1 since I've been on HRT. My sister's has been steady at -1.1. You need to have a talk with your gyno....

Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear suem,

My suggestion is NO on those meds. The side effects are not worth the amount of possible effectiveness. You have every right to say you choose to not risk the possible side effects.

Personally, the first thing I would do is find a different primary care doctor. Please, as soon as possible see a gynecologist that is female (not male), esp. one that has been in in practice 25 or more years and/or specializes in hormone replacement. If your in America and your insurance demands a referral, then get it ASAP. You can call or go in to local pharmacies and ask if any doctors are prescribing female hormones and get a few names.

Right now I am suffering a severely dangerous level of bone loss in my pelvis because I had a complete hysterectomy many years ago and I have not been taking hormone replacement. My endocrinologist had been puzzled why calcoium had not been going into my bones. Now I have to wait till I can get in to see a doctor that understands the importance and how to prescribe them. But, better late than never. I have read of normal bone density after just six months of using the female hormone replacement.

I hope this info helps.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 08-14-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Reply Reply