It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Sudden strange eye symptoms including floaters and flashes. Help!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Ell448
(female)

Ell448 HB User
Sudden strange eye symptoms including floaters and flashes. Help!!

Hi, I'm a teenager and Iíve been moderately shortsited (-4.5 in the left and -4.75 in the right) for about 5/6 years now. About 3/4 weeks ago we had a thunderstorm with a lot of lighting. I walked into my kitchen which was well lit (this was in the down ay) and saw a sudden white flash in the whole of my vision, almost like somebody had just flashed a bright torch on and off infront of me quickly, I assumed it was lightning.

This has happened quite a few times now and for the first probably 7 times it happened I just assumed it was lightning, and continued to assume this until I was sitting in class one day at school about 2/3 weeks ago and saw 2 little dots floating across my vision. I knew they were floaters as I have heard about them before, but I have never had any of these issues with my vision apart from shortsightedness.

It worried me instantly, so went home and researched all about them. I am aware they could be harmless but I have a very bad feeling about it, and have seen that if youíre experiencing floaters along with the flashes, there could be something wrong. At first it was occasional small floaters and flashes, but theyíve gotten increasingly and rapidly worse. Itís been sunny lately so weíve been outside barbecuing and what not, and these floaters just wonít leave me alone! I now see them everywhere, even when looking at peoples faces or reading in places that arenít even well lit! (although theyíre usually more visible when Iím somewhere bright, eg looking at the sky) I continue to see them in all lighting now. And not to mention theyíre really big now and I just canít go a single day without seeing at least 40/50. They can be the strangest shapes too. Iíve had GCSEís in school these past 2 weeks and canít concentrate becuase I just see floaters drifting across my paper and the wall. I see strange things too, almost like strange dark shapes just floating around (theyíre not floaters), mostly in my prephiral vision. Back to the flashes, once I had researched floaters I noticed that theyíre sometimes paired with Ďflashes of lightí, this is when I noticed that that is what I was experiencing.

Sometimes I will see full vision flashes as previously explained but now, theyíre mostly little flashing white or black dots (sometimes the black dots pulsate in my left eye) in my vision. I am experiencing eye pain occasionally. I noticed that for the past 6 months, my eyesight is getting rapidly worse, I now this is normal for teens but Iím talking about seriously rapidly: I received new, stronger glasses approximately 5/6 months ago, and just under 2 months later my shortsightedness had gotten even worse by 3 steps!! This is now happening frequently. For about 4 months now, I have suffered with bad night vision, where I walked into my room in the dark one evening and saw that I was seeing more than double of the light on my digital light up clock (the numbers light up). This also got increasingly worse and I now experience severe glare and haloes, and also the triple vision and glare of light constantly, not just in the dark, but even in full daylight.

For example, if I look at a street lamp I will see huge white lines coming out of it, or if there are subtitles on a screen I will see multiple of them. I recently went to the optician to explain these glare issues etc (I had not yet experienced the flashes or floaters) who said she wasnít sure what was wrong, gave me stronger glasses and said to go to the doctor if symptoms persist/get worse. They did! I went to the doctor who didnít do any tests on my eyes (this was at the stage when I still thought the flashes were lightning, so I only mentioned the glare/ double vision of light) and he just asked me to read something, sat me down and booked me an appointment with the ophthalmologist at the hospital.
It is since then my symptoms of floaters and flashes have been revealed and everything is getting worse by the day.

I have no idea when my ophthalmologist appointment is and have been waiting for a little while now. I donít know what to do! Itís really affecting me. Something thatís also happening is I sometimes see a dark shadow just fly across my vision (not floaters) they can be white or black, but usually black. I can sometimes see a shower of flashing white dots in my vision and I know that all of this is very abnormal for my age. I can feel that something is wrong, Iím just not sure what!? Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Is this serious?

Should I try to push for my ophthalmologist appointment? My Grandad has glaucoma, but my optician tested for that and I do not have it. All of these symptoms get worse by the day! As I say, none of this has ever happened before! Everything that appeared, appeared so suddenly, none of it was gradual. P.S- sorry for how long this is!!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
xltjim
(male)

xltjim HB User
Re: Sudden strange eye symptoms including floaters and flashes. Help!!

Hi, let me start by saying this may be nothing at all. That said please know what you are experiencing are classic symptoms of either a Vitreous or Retina detachment. If vitreous they may just check the retina to make sure it isn't tearing the retina and have you come back in a few weeks. As you mentioned you have been doing some reading on this, you know deep down there is an issue. Please treat this as a true emergency. Call Ophthalmologist ASAP. You need a dilated eye exam. If this one won't see or do a dilated exam you call another. You could go to emergency room but would need one that has Opthalmologist available or on call. Again.....do it NOW (hopefully you have already called while waiting for response). Your sight depends on it. Some damage could be irreversible without treatment. I have been through this twice, one each eye. Take care. Jim

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

In my city, we have an emergency eye clinic.....do you have one on your city? If so....go there.

If no emergency clinic....Yes....absolutely call to find out who the opthomologist is and plead your situation and fear... and push to get in asap. In the meantime, you could get in to see your GP and check for blood pressure, blood sugar, thyroid, hormonal....etc that could be related to this issue.

Are you on the pill?

Any meds?

While occasional floaters are normal and a bother, the flashes are not. Vitreous detachment isn't common in your age group, but it doesnt mean it can't happen, but the flashes are most likely something pulling on the retina.

Do you tend to get headaches?

Keep us updated, please.

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Ell448
(female)

Ell448 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply! Youíve been so helpful. Iíll get to them ASAP. Iíll let you know the result.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Ell448
(female)

Ell448 HB User

Thank you so much for your response! Youíve been really helpful. No I am not on any meds/the pill. However I do tend to get headaches yes. I will keep you updated. I appreciate such a fast response!

The following user gives a hug of support to Ell448:
quincy (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi you need to see an ophthalmologist, a medical doctor of the eyes immediately. Those lightning flashes you are seeing are possibly signs of a detached retina. Without treatment, this can become very serious. Please do not wait, call an ophthalmologist and tell them this may be an emergency and get in to see one immediately. Let us know what you find out?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Ell448
(female)

Ell448 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi you need to see an ophthalmologist, a medical doctor of the eyes immediately. Those lightning flashes you are seeing are possibly signs of a detached retina. Without treatment, this can become very serious. Please do not wait, call an ophthalmologist and tell them this may be an emergency and get in to see one immediately. Let us know what you find out?
Thanks so much for your advice! Youíve been so helpful. I will keep you updated.

Reply Reply