It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Fibula and walking boot question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
    Pattilat
    (female)

Pattilat HB User
    Fractured Fibula and walking boot question

I spent 2 weeks in hard cast and 1 week in walking boot. Doctor said to try walking in boot (both crutches to one crutch to none). Hoping to get completely out of boot in 2 more weeks. Scared of pain and learning to move to the next step in healing. Any advice??
    I am a runner and tennis player and can't wait to get back to normal routines. Any words of encouragement and positive stories would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Fractured Fibula and walking boot question

Dear Pattilat,

I so feel for you, having had a broken leg and various other shattered bones.
    Three weeks is not enough time for the bone to become strong. Depending on the type of break the healing time can be months.

The doctor may be allowing you to bear weight because the fibula is not a weight bearing bone. But don't get in a hurry to do more than walking. Keep up your non weight bearing exercise, too. Soon enough you will be back at the sports.

Check with your doctor before moving ahead.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should not have much pain. Soreness for sure because it's been pretty immobile. Just take it slow and easy. Try a little more weight bearing each day...be sure to use both crtuches for the first week. Walk on the heel only. The add a little more each day eventually switching to one crutch and then none. SLOWLY!

Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
    Pattilat
    (female)

Pattilat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Pattilat,

I so feel for you, having had a broken leg and various other shattered bones.
    Three weeks is not enough time for the bone to become strong. Depending on the type of break the healing time can be months.

The doctor may be allowing you to bear weight because the fibula is not a weight bearing bone. But don't get in a hurry to do more than walking. Keep up your non weight bearing exercise, too. Soon enough you will be back at the sports.

Check with your doctor before moving ahead.
    Thank you! I will take it slow because I really want to make sure it heals correctly.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
    Pattilat
    (female)

Pattilat HB User

Thank you! I will try that! Appreciate!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pattilat View Post
    Thank you! I will take it slow because I really want to make sure it heals correctly.

Good for you!
    You will get through this just fine I am sure. Let us know how things are going and if you get any concerns.

Hugs,

Reply Reply