It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

Benicar?Cozaar/ARB Increasing BP?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Storrs
(male)

Storrs HB User
Benicar?Cozaar/ARB Increasing BP?

Greetings,

I have posted here many years ago, but due to life circumstances have not recently. I will be brief.

For over 10 years I have been on the same med regimen for my BP. Due to not being able to tolerate Lisinopril (which worked very well for me once upon a time) I was switched to an ARB (Cozaar). I went through a period of mercurial BP readings from 2009 through 2014. I was diagnosed (finally) with hyperparathyroidism about 5 years ago and had surgery to correct the problem. Several months after surgery, my BP returned to controllable levels, having been very difficult to control for a few years prior. At one time I was taking max dose cozaar, HCTZ as well as 240 mg of diltiazem, just to maintain 140s over 90s. After the surgery I was able to reduce the medication greatly. Which leads to my question.

I switched fro cozaar to benicar (generic) because benicar always worked a bit better for me than did cozaar. However, I noticed over the past year or so that my normal regimen had not been working as well, and I started needing to add 60 to 120 mg of diltiazem a day. Last weekend, I ran out of my olmesartan (benicar) and wasn't able to refill it right away. As a result I did not take any for 2 days. Interestingly, my BP was better without taking the olmesartan. So, I decided to give it a few more days to see what would happen. I am now on day 5 without taking olmesartan. My BP is better than it's been while taking it. I now take one 60mg tablet of diltiazem, twice a day, and the pressure is better. My question is, has anyone else ever had this happen?

I have heard that ACE1s like lisinopril can raise BP if you have renal artery stenosis, however, I have never heard the same regarding an ARB, and I have no reason to necessarily believe I have renal artery stenosis. Any thoughts?

Regards, Brenden.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply