It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shyness Message Board

Adult premature babies and shyness?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
knockout
(female)

knockout HB User
Question Adult premature babies and shyness?

I was reading somewhere that babies born premature, when they're older, their more likley to be shy and introverted. Just wondering does anyone know why? Or have an idea as to why?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Adult premature babies and shyness?

Where did you read this and are you certain it is from a reputable source? Unfortunately, not everything is monitored online, so people can put up whatever they want.

I don't know if this was a study...by who...or how many people were looked at..but I was born 3 months premature and spent the first month of my life in an incubator. My second daughter was born 2 months premature. Neither of us is shy or inhibited in any way. In fact, we are both in sales and are very confident speaking in front of people and to strangers.

There could be some truth to this, but then again, it could be a theory and not a fact. If it was a study of thousands of people, it could ring some truth...but if it was a study of only 10 or 20 people, its not a big enough study to be concrete evidence. We all know there are exceptions to every rule. I know this does not apply to me or my daughter. Does it apply to you?

Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
knockout
(female)

knockout HB User

Hey. Yes I feel it might apply to me since I was born 2 and a half months early. And I notice I'm a bit quiet most times. Introverted also. But anyone could be either one of those doesn't matter how there born. I just read more likley to be. I just wanted to see if anyone could relate. But ya. I'm not as outgoing as I feel I should be. I feel it could be based on that. But then no one really knows.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I think you are right that no one really knows. There are quite a few factors which might go into this..for instance, are you an only child? Are you a middle child? Both of these may mean that you were quieter than other kids growing up. But, the reverse can be true as well: I know plenty of middle children who are really loud because they had to fight for attention!

To overcome your shyness, you might consider taking a public speaking class. Being forced to speak out loud in front of people is not something that any of us do naturally. Its a learned skill, which takes time to get good at; but it can really help overcome being shy.

You can also , since you are so aware of it, make it a point to look people in the eye and say hello to strangers or servers at a restaurant. Practicing being more outgoing with strangers helps allot. I learned all of this in my public speaking class in college. You have to force yourself to really make eye contact and practice speaking to strangers before you will get comfortable in big crowds or with new people who you are introduced to.

Whatever you do, know that you can do this (get through it) if you really want to! Best of luck to you!

Reply Reply