It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic Sinus problems affecting sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #1
    locksleyu
    (male)

locksleyu HB User
    Chronic Sinus problems affecting sleep

I have had problems with my sinuses/allergies since I was young, always carrying a handkerchief with a frequent blocked or runny nose.

In the last few years this has become worse, with frequent post nasal drip during the day which causes me to cough. At night, it is even worse and I will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night where it is hard to breathe. When I take a breath in or out there is a large wheezing sound (something like tiny whistles at different pitches), and even if I cough it is hard to get the phlegm out of my lungs. Drinking water or taking a shower seems to help a little, but not that much.

I went to a nose-throat-ear doctor a few years ago and he said that my lungs were fine fortunately, but I had a reaction in my sinuses where they would constrict. This was causing post nasal drip and I think this phlegm was getting into my lungs, especially when I am sleeping (maybe because I cough less?)

A that time he gave me a shot in the nose of a steroid, which almost immediately cured me of the condition for a few months, but eventually it came back. He gave me other medicine but I didn't have a need to use it until it expired and then was too late. He said to come back for allergy tests (with pricks to a patch of skin), but I felt that wouldn't help this problem so never went back.

I have tried Neti pot and it seems to help a bit right after I use it, but several hours later the condition can worsen again (especially when I am sleeping).

When I have alot of phlegm in my lungs usually my nose is blocked pretty badly, though one nostral is usually blocked most of the time even during the day.

If I go back to the doctor I am sure he will be able to fix it temporarily again, but I am looking for a more long term solution.

I have tried several different over the counter allergy medicines, but none worked. I also tried acupuncture, no effect.
    If anyone can offer and advice or suggestions please let me know so I can sleep soundly again.

Last edited by locksleyu; 03-28-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Chronic Sinus problems affecting sleep

Get the allergy test. Then follow the regimen recommended. You can't just take random allergy meds without knowing what your alleregies are. You may need allergy injections.

I also highly recommend the breathe right nasal strips at bedtime. They work wonders for me.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-28-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergy treatment, chronic disease, sinuses