It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Could My Symptoms be Just Allergies?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
    dac122
    (male)

dac122 HB User
    Could My Symptoms be Just Allergies?

I have been dealing with chronic sinusitis since last fall: dry sinuses, headache, fatigue, dizziness, ears pressure/plugged up/fullness, pain behind eyes. The worst is the headache, fatigue, dizziness. Symptoms are worst in the AM.

I've been seeing an ENT and we've tried a few things. Antihistamines seem to help some. Sudafed helps for a few hours. Prednisone has helped more than anything else with headache, fatigue, dizziness, but that's not a permanent solution. A CT shows I have a slightly deviated septum.

I've been researching like crazy trying to figure this out and of course come across bad autoimmune diseases like Sjogrens because I have other odd health issues.

I'm really hoping this is all due to allergies. In the fall and spring I occasionally get mild hay fever - slightly watery irritated eyes, some post nasal drip. But again very mild.

Is it possible the above symptoms could all be due to allergies even though I don't have the classic runny watery eyes and nose?

I know there is no way to be sure until I do allergy testing, but I would sleep better knowing there could be a simpler cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Could My Symptoms be Just Allergies?

Oh absolutely could be allergies. Sounds very typical. You really need testing to determine which ones and get on the right meds or allergy injections.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    dac122 (04-16-2015)
    Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I too think it could be just allergies, which can be miserable and make one feel sick,so would suggest seeing an allergist, taking ALL precautions about eliminating allergens and treating with antihistamines, etc,. and then seeing where you stand. Allergies can be isolated or part of other conditions, but in the course of treating the allergies completely, you will see if symptoms of other things persist, and you need to look further. In the meantime, treating the allergies should help a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    dac122 (04-16-2015)
    Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
    Angels31
    (female)

Angels31 HB User
    Did you ever find out what is going on? I am having similar issues except mine came after bronchitis. Have had really dry sinuses for over a month now. I tested negative for sjogrens. It is driving me crazy!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
    dac122
    (male)

dac122 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angels31 View Post
    Did you ever find out what is going on? I am having similar issues except mine came after bronchitis. Have had really dry sinuses for over a month now. I tested negative for sjogrens. It is driving me crazy!
    I've learned it was partially caused by a pain medicine's side effects. Allergy testing shows I am at least moderately allergic to 17 out of 20 items. My lingering symptoms at this point are ear fullness and dizziness. I have an ENG in a few weeks to see what can be done with the dizziness. Because the pain meds were at least partly responsible we are starting fresh with most therapies. So far steroids and antihistamines don't seem to work.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
    dac122
    (male)

dac122 HB User

I just wanted to follow up with a resolution to this problem in hopes it might help others.

After trying pretty much every steroid, decongestant or other allergy med, my doctor offered allergy shots. My allergy testing showed 16 out of 20 allergens I reacted to. Doctor thought not extreme. Honestly, I think he had nothing else to offer. I was skeptical since the doc did not sound convinced but the allergy testing nurse thought I had severe allergy. So that was confusing but figured what do I have to lose.

I go each week. After just two weeks (two shots) I began noticing a difference. Almost two months now and I am noticing a big difference. I have not had this much energy and have not felt this good in years. I have to do an entire year. I am excited to see how it goes as I get to the end.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Thanks for your update! It is so nice to hear success stories, and know you are feeling better, likely to continue improving with further treatment. It is helpful to get follow-up from people as they find solutions, so thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    dac122 (10-27-2015)
    Old 10-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
    Angels31
    (female)

Angels31 HB User

Here is my update, I have had a sinus infection for 7 months. It turns out I had a tooth infection and the root was infected and went right into my sinuses. I had the tooth removed today and a bone graft. So hopefully this will take care of the problem. It did not show up on a regular x-ray but showed up on a 3D X-ray. That is why it took so long. Hopefully this will help someone!

Old 11-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I had that same thing happen to me years ago. Was having HORRIBLE beaches; they were so bad, they put me to bed and I had NO idea as to the cause. Went to some voodoo person, who told me I had a bad tooth, and, by George, he was correct. Once the tooth problem was taken care of, I felt immediate relief. I asked my dentist why an x-ray did not pick this up and was told that x-rays do not. Hope you feel better.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
    allergyhead
    (female)

allergyhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
    I just wanted to follow up with a resolution to this problem in hopes it might help others.

After trying pretty much every steroid, decongestant or other allergy med, my doctor offered allergy shots. My allergy testing showed 16 out of 20 allergens I reacted to. Doctor thought not extreme. Honestly, I think he had nothing else to offer. I was skeptical since the doc did not sound convinced but the allergy testing nurse thought I had severe allergy. So that was confusing but figured what do I have to lose.

I go each week. After just two weeks (two shots) I began noticing a difference. Almost two months now and I am noticing a big difference. I have not had this much energy and have not felt this good in years. I have to do an entire year. I am excited to see how it goes as I get to the end.
    I am going to start with allergy shots in couple weeks.. looking forward to feeling normal again

Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User

The allergy shots really do help. Some people get truly amazing results. I have found that ,although I still struggle with allergies, I can tolerate much higher polllen levels. I used to feel bad anytime pollen was in the moderate range. Now, I only struggle when pollen is in the high range. It's obviously much more liveable if you have 8 bad days a month vs. 25 days. I did get better results when I changed doctors. To get good results you need to take really strong shots. Some medicals groups seem to skimp on the concentrations. So, you might want to make sure your doctor is using the newest guidelines that call from these stronger concentrations

Last edited by EricNC; 11-23-2015 at 01:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to EricNC For This Useful Post:
    dac122 (11-30-2015)
    Old 11-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
    dac122
    (male)

dac122 HB User

Thanks EricNC. That's good to know. I was wondering what I should do when I get to the end and am still have symptoms. Do you have a link to the newest guidelines you reference?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
    Angels31
    (female)

Angels31 HB User
    Here is another update, after having the oral surgery, I was still not getting better. I had an MRI and it showed a tooth infection in the tooth next to it. I also had it pulled and there was a GIANT infection in it. It had a root canal where the root was severed and in my sinus also. So this was where the infection originated and spread to the tooth next to it. All from a bad root canal! I am now healing slowly but surely!

Old 12-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #14
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User

I just heard the information from my current doctor, who is younger and more up on research than my prior doctor. But, I believe there is an Academy or Speciality Group for Allergies and Immunology that publishes suggested guidelines.

The Following User Says Thank You to EricNC For This Useful Post:
    dac122 (12-08-2015)
    Old 01-22-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
    dac122
    (male)

dac122 HB User

Another update to help other folks.

I have been 2+ years doing shots. I reached my max concentration 1 year ago, and now go every 2 weeks.

The shots have worked quite well. Almost all symptoms drastically reduced, and I can now treat remaining symptoms with steroid nasal spray. I can now also tell the real culprit are my eustachian tubes. When they feel full, have pressure, all my symptoms come back.

I am working with my ENT to try a few more things but I think I am headed for eustachian tube dilation, and also balloon sinoplasty since my terminus region is narrow. He figures if I go in for one I should do both. The ENT thinks there is some kind of pressure imbalance that happens wheever allergens narrow those sinuses and eustachian tube. I will be pushing him for this next visiting in about a month.

Reply Reply