It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Frontal Drillout

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
    rsierra1025
    (male)

rsierra1025 HB User
    Frontal Drillout

I'm not "SICK" now so I forget this page is here but I remembered today so thought I would share my story. I'm not sick but have some side issues that I'm sure are related to my last procedure which was the Frontal Drillout.

My First infection came with strep and mono my Senior Year of High School back in 88', 89'. Antibiotics took care of it. After that I don't remember any issues that were memorable until around 1998 I started getting sinus infections moving my way up through the antibiotics. Finally around 1999 I ended up having my first surgery for the deviated Septum. A few weeks later I had issues again and ended up with a 2nd procedure where the Dr. Cut me open by my eye on the bridge of my nose and cleaned things out. It sort of turns into a blur but there was rotating antibiotics for about a year. I even went as far as a Pickline to try and straighten things out. No luck. I was on the table a couple more times with the 4th happening in 2002 just before my boy was born. They Cut me open where proceedure 2 had been and cut the septum so the left side would drain into the right. That lasted for about 8 years and then I ended up getting sick again. over the course of a year and 1/2 it was 4 more surgeries with the final one being the Frontal Drillout.

For those that are at the point that Frontal Drillout is your last option here's my experience with it. It's been successful so far (knock on wood). I can't remember how long ago I had this but I'm thinking it's at least 4 or 5 years. My biggest issue is that strong smells make my head feel crappy. My work transferred me to a different office and we are above a hair salon. The Salon was grandfathered in many years ago before all the air quality stuff SOOOO the fumes float upstairs and make me very ill. I'll be exhausted, I can't focus, my face will get all hot on one side, etc. I work in an office environment and actually have to wear a demolition mask that's good for Formeldeheid (SP) and other chemicals. I tried one for mold because I thought that was the problem, No luck. The days I don't wear it as much as I should I feel terrible the next day. I know it's the hair salon because when I'm in the car with my mother in law her hairspray will make me feel the same way...and my kids "AX" spray has been banned in the house because it does the same thing to my head. I don't know what the exact chemical is that gets me but there's something. So, if you have many chemicals around (Perfumes, detergents, cleaning items, etc) think about trying to go a bit more natural and/or eliminate some of those products. That's really hard for me to say because in the past I was always one of those that would Poo-poo the treehugger/green stuff.

My other odd issue is that my left side was what plugged up in the past. Even with the open cavity I'm dealing with now, when I'm getting sick I have to sleep on my right side so that things drain correctly. If I'm on my left it 's like the little Cilia don't work well on that side.

My Final issue, where they cut my septum down to seems to be right on a blood vessel and sometimes it'll get a little scab on it, so of course I'll pick at it. Usually it'll heal up but this past year I have been on blood thinners and that spot has been a danger zone for me because I have had 2 bloody noses and I couldn't get them stopped with out a visit to the ER one day and ENT the next. (Dry air in winter was the cause).

Overall my experience with the drillout has been positive and my options were limited to this or the obliteration. I'm glad this is the route I went, I just wanted to share the side effects that I have dealt with.

Anyhow, to all that took the time to read this and are dealing with issues I wish you the best of luck to find a cure to your situation. Those that don't deal with this have no idea how life sucking it can be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Re: Frontal Drillout

Did your Dr explain why you might have such extreme sensitivity to smells that you have to wear a mask? Is your nose dry? That can have an effect.

On drainage. I have valve collapse, and things get "stuck" so when I lay on the opposite side they can drain. Have you looked into investigating any structural collapse?

You had a lot of surgeries. Do you have a record of what procedures you had? Maybe I would get a second opinion and see if I could get a better quality of life and solve these potential complicaitons.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Frontal Drillout

We have somewhat similar tales of woe. About 30 years ago, I suffered a long term sinus infection, which caused me to become extremely sensitive to even trace elements of various chemicals and odors. We've had to eliminate almost all chemicals and odors from our home; and have even had to get rid of furniture and cabinets which were causing me to be ill.

From what I have researched, the sinus infection resulted in an autoimmune condition, in which my body over-reacts to the slightest amount of chemical or odor, which my body perceives as an attack. To protect against a perceived attack, my immune system causes an over-production of various hormones, meant to protect my body from the perceived invasion. These hormones, especially the adrenal hormones, are usually wonderful, powerful hormones, but when constantly over-produced can cause all kinds of misery.

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread