It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• CT Sinus Scan with Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
    violinplayer
    (female)

violinplayer HB User
    CT Sinus Scan with Fusion

Hi, I recently had a CT scan of my sinuses, but do not understand what the findings mean. My follow up appointment with my doctor is not for another two weeks, so I was hoping someone could help me understand it. Thanks!

*Note: I had brain surgery 12 years ago, so I know some of the notes toward the bottom refer to that.

FINDINGS:
    Surgery: No evidence for prior surgery

Frontal sinus: Prominent frontal sinus without evidence for overt mucous membrane proliferative changes or air-fluid levels. Small focal area of thickening along the inferomedial aspect of the left frontal region. No bone destruction.

Sphenoid sinus: Well-aerated with no mucosal thickening, fluid or mass.

Ethmoid air cells: Focal areas of ethmoid sinus thickening.

Maxillary sinuses: The maxillary ostia are not observed to be patent. There is prominent soft tissue density over the right greater than left infundibulum. Mucous cysts more prominently demonstrated on the right than left. No overt bone destruction.

Nasal cavity: Focal opacification within the right nasal cavity. Septal bowing to the left. Mild prominence of inferior turbinate on the left.

Osseous structures: No fractures or erosions. Post craniotomy changes on the left.

Orbits: Orbits and globes are normal.

Brain: The examination shows asymmetry of the anterior horn of the left lateral ventricular system. Presumed post surgical changes. Calcification within the region of the left caudate nucleus. Calcification inferior aspect of the anterior horn of left lateral ventricular system.

IMPRESSION:
    Prominent soft tissue opacification within right greater than left maxillary sinus. Increased soft tissue density over right greater than left infundibulum. Focal thickening within the ethmoid region. Small focal area of mucous membrane thickening about the left anterior-inferior aspect of the frontal sinus. Post-op craniotomy on the left. Other incidental findings as above.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Re: CT Sinus Scan with Fusion

The quesiton is, what are your sypmtoms and how long have you tried to manage them?

From your CT, a Dr could recommend a septoplasty, and maybe some work to open the maxillary sinuses? Also a turbinate reduction at least on one side.

However, it is routine practice to say a patient needs a septoplasty. No one NEEDS one, and the large majority of people do not have perfect septums.

If there is any sinus intervention, I wold try everything before resorting to surgery. Even then, you might have a chance at a sinuplasty, where they just move the structures rather than removing them.

On the turbinate, again, a lot of people have "enlarged" turbinates. Doing turbinate reductions and septoplasties are Drs' bread and butter. Remember they are surgeons who want to do surgery.

If you can breathe fine, don't touch them. If they are causing drianiage problems, try every thing possible for a LONG time not weeks, a LONG time, look into allergies, anything. Then consider very carefully a reduction after reading about the potential risks, and select a very conservative surgeon who is aware of empty nose symdrome and will do an outfracture or a very conservative submucosal resection.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Re: CT Sinus Scan with Fusion

The quesiton is, what are your sypmtoms and how long have you tried to manage them?

From your CT, a Dr could recommend a septoplasty, and maybe some work to open the maxillary sinuses? Also a turbinate reduction at least on one side.

However, it is routine practice to say a patient needs a septoplasty. No one NEEDS one, and the large majority of people do not have perfect septums.

If there is any sinus intervention, I wold try everything before resorting to surgery. Even then, you might have a chance at a sinuplasty, where they just move the structures rather than removing them.

On the turbinate, again, a lot of people have "enlarged" turbinates. Doing turbinate reductions and septoplasties are Drs' bread and butter. Remember they are surgeons who want to do surgery.

If you can breathe fine, don't touch them. If they are causing drianiage problems, try every thing possible for a LONG time not weeks, a LONG time, look into allergies, anything. Then consider very carefully a reduction after reading about the potential risks, and select a very conservative surgeon who is aware of empty nose symdrome and will do an outfracture or a very conservative submucosal resection.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ct scan, sinus cure, sinus issues, surgery