It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Preventing recurring sinus infections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
    Dave56789
    (male)

Dave56789 HB User
    Preventing recurring sinus infections

I get about 4 or 5 sinus infections a year. Looking for ways to prevent them. Doctor put me on Singukair, which does not seem to help. I came across a technique called inverted sinus flooding on this site. It was mentioned about 10 years ago and not much recently. Has anybody tried this and do you find it helpful? What other things are effective at preventing sinus infections? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User
    Re: Preventing recurring sinus infections

I had a similar problem. The two best things were allergy immunotherapy shots and a budesonide nasal wash. The nasal wash helped stop nasal blockages and promote drainage. Washington University of St. Louis has published several studies on using a .1% budesonide solution and adding it to a neil med type nasal irragation solution of Salt and H2O with good results. It will come up with a google search. The nasal wash was more effective for me than were the nasal steroid sprays, although if you have not tried those it's probably worth it. A spray with budesonide is Rhinocort. It just became an OTC med in the US in Feb. 2016.

Prior to the above, I got between 5-7 sinus infections. I now average about 1.5. If it's bad flu season, I get two. If not, I usually get 1.

Last edited by EricNC; 03-23-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: More info

Old 03-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Dave, you had asked about inverted sinus flooding and if it was effective.

I had multiple sinus infections for many years, although not as many as you are having. My last sinus infection was in 2001. Back then, I got extremely frustrated due to getting sinus infection after sinus infection after sinus infection, each one followed by a costly, time consuming, disappointing visit to an ENT doctor.

During my last sinus infection, in 2001, I stupidly bent my head down in the shower and squirted some 3% hydrogen peroxide into my nasal passages. It was one of the dumbest things that I ever did. I had no idea if it would help, or if it would make things worse!

Fortunately, and surprisingly, it worked! Using diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide, in my sinuses, led to a complete cure of my multiple, annual sinus infections! I was overjoyed, and, after 15 years without sinus infection problems, I am still overjoyed!

I theorized, afterwards, that, the reason that it worked was because my sinus infections were mostly in my nasal passages and not in my sinus cavities; and that I had just been on a course of antibiotics.

It has been so long and I have grown so old, that I can no longer remember a lot of the details, but I am very grateful that it worked and relieved me of my chronic sinus infection misery. I haven't had to do another sinus flooding with peroxide in quite a few years.

No one else should try using diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide, in their sinuses, unless approved under the care and supervision of a medical professional.

You asked: Has anybody tried this and do you find it helpful?, so I figured I would respond about my experience with it.

Best of luck and health to you and I hope that you can find a permanent solution to your chronic sinus infections!

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-22-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User

That many infections warrants a CT scan by a good ENT doc. If you have a structural problem, no drugs, sprays or rinses will stop the infections because there are pockets of mucus that can't drain out. That being said, drainage is the key. (All of the surgeries and techniques are to establish a clear drainage pathway, and I've had basically all of them, including FESS, Modified Endoscopic Lothrop, and a full frontal obliteration..) You can take plain guaifenesin like Mucinex or Robitussin to thin out the mucus so it can drain more easily, but again, you probably need a CT scan. (I usually don't reply to others' advice, but don't put hydrogen peroxide in your sinuses..that would not be good.)

Closed Thread