It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Second septoplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
    Ndabski
    (male)

Ndabski HB User
    Second septoplasty

Hi all, I am writing in this thread because on Tuesday of this week I am going in for my second septoplasty surgery. I had my first septoplasty back in 2010 after breaking my nose, and then two months after the surgery I broke my nose again, causing my septum to become deviated again. I went for a consult two weeks ago and the ENT I saw said that it looks like they left a lot of my septum so the surgery should go fine. She also said that she does not use splints or pack the nose and just uses stitches. When I look up my nose it does not appear that there is much septum remaining. I am concerned that she didn't take enough time to evaluate my nose as she only examined it for 1-2 minutes with a light. I have been reading some horror stories about patients having perforated septums after revision surgeries. Please let me know if there is any advice you can give. I am thinking about trying to make a last minute appointment tomorrow to get a second opinion. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Re: Second septoplasty

It may be implied, but you don't say why you are having a septoplasty. Is it because you are unable to breathe?

I think that further revision does deplete cartilage. My surgeon did a septoplasty, but only the posterior. I was imagining it would be the anterior front) which was really crooked.

Do you know which part they intend to do?

Also, there can be structural complications from septoplasties also.

Finally, do not let them touch your turbinates.

Incidnetally, some 60 or larger percent of the population have a deviated septum, and most get along fine. THere is no reason to do a septoplasty just for the sake of having a perfectly straight septum. But, most ENTs would have you believe that it is a major problem to go around in life with one!

Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User
    Re: Second septoplasty

Second opinions are a good idea, but only if you know they are a great doc. I wouldn't worry too much about how fast your exam was, this type of issue is straightforward and what seems like "too fast" to the layman is plenty of time for the professional. Get another opinion if it will set your mind at ease.

Closed Thread