It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Continual Sinus infections since Nov of 2015

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
    nadrojch
    (male)

nadrojch HB User
    Continual Sinus infections since Nov of 2015

Ok so idk if posting here will do any good but here it goes:

Since November of 2015 I have had consistent sinus infections. It's so bad that only after 2-3 weeks off antibiotics it comes back. I was refered to a ENT and I thought he was going to help cause he seemed to care until I called his office today because he saw me Friday and gave me a nasal spray and now once again as of starting this nasal spray i hAve another sinus infection. His office refused to try and fit me in before he leaves tomorrow night or squeeze me in when he returns next week even though they know I get pneumonia very easily from untreated sinus infections so I was forced to go to the ER. My ER Dr I saw this afternoon doesn't understand why my ENT hasn't ordered any type of imaging or scoped me and I once again am back on a antibiotic. My last round started roughly 2-3 weeks ago and was for 10 days. I am currently in a fight with my insurance because I have a form of medicad and I told them the issue I am having and they are doing everything they can legally do to make me see my current ENT April 1st because all the other ENT in network with my plan aren't taking patients or are no longer taking my plan which would require my insurance to start a prior authorization for services to be provided to me by a out of network provider which would cost them more. Is there anything I can do to force my insurance to expidite this process because I'm tired of being sick and suffering from severe sinus headaches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User
    Re: Continual Sinus infections since Nov of 2015

Can't help with your insurance woes except to say sorry, that stinks. I too can't understand why they didn't do a CT scan, or why the ER doc didn't order one for you. Basically, if your sinuses can't drain out, there is always an infection going on. Because they are insulated with mucus, antibiotics can't penetrate very well, and the pockets of goo keep incubating the infection. So...you'll have to fight to get a proper diagnosis. Always start with plain guaifenesin or Mucinex/Robitussin to keep the mucus thin, drink lots of water with it. That's the best and easiest thing to start with that seems to help a lot. (Also steam, humidifier when you sleep or all the time if your house is dry). Take the heel of your balled up fist and tap the back of your head, you can locate exactly where you have an infection..if your top teeth hurt, it's maxillary, over your eyebrows it's frontal. After the mucinex kicks in, you can use some sudafed to maybe get things to open up, Afrin spray if things are dire..it will open it up, you just get rebound congestion when it wears off, so just use stuff like that as a last resort or to get things open and draining. Some people have good results with irrigating, just be sure to sterilize your squeeze bottle in the microwave and use boiled water(cooled, obviously) and not tap water with the saline packets. I'm of a split opinion about irrigating..if it opens things up and helps drain it out, great, but if you have an active infection it can just push the bacteria around where it might not have been before. So..it's all about drainage..a CT will show if there is a structural problem, which is likely if you can't get rid of infections. You can treat yourself by getting the mucus as thin as possible with guaifenesin and lots of water, both by drinking it and humidifying.

Closed Thread