It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Levaquin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #1
    monguuse12
    (male)

monguuse12 HB User
    Levaquin

This Quinolone is an effective antibiotic for sinusitis, if it can be tolerated. What is an equivalent antibiotic without the side effects? It has caused significant tendon problems for me months after taking it. Is there really an equivalent that works as well; it seems antibiotics like Bactrim, Z-Pak, etc do not work as well, probably because the bacteria may have become resistant to these antibiotics. Also, what about topical antibiotics such as Mupirocin? Do these work when combines with nasal rinses?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User
    Re: Levaquin

It is not common to be prescribed nasal rinses with antibiotics in them. Mupirocin is usually a topical application, not sure it would be effective if diluted. Levaquin is reserved for the upper echelon of defense in sinus problems, after things like 1000 mg Augmentin have failed. It is a pretty nasty drug, at least it was to me, I try to avoid it. The problem with sinus infections is that if you only get a couple per year, antibiotics may help, and may help keep things like orbital and brain involvement at bay. If you have a lot of infections, you probably have a structural issue, especially since the infections themselves create scar tissue in the openings off each sinus, which makes them smaller and more prone to getting clogged and infected. Many people in this situation have a chronic infection going on all the time. Surgery will be the only option to make clear drainage pathways.

Antibiotics are a tough call in sinus infections.. Mucus is there to protect and flush out things like dust and bacteria, so when it gets backed up in there, the antibiotics in your mucus membranes can't get to little pockets of the infection, so drainage is always the key. The first line of defense, since we can't do surgery on ourselves, we can thin out the mucus to try to get it to drain. Always start with guaifenesin, like plain Robitussin or Mucinex and plenty of water, and humidify your house. This will help to drain it out. Then try sudafed or afrin to open up the sinuses, but use them sparingly as you will get more congestion (rebound) when you stop. That's my quick primer on sinus infection..and trust me, with six surgeries from three super docs I have the experience to back up my advice..

Old 04-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User

Can't figure out how to eliminate the double post, so..here is nothing to replace it..

Last edited by Katana; 04-24-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Eliminate double post..

Old 04-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
    monguuse12
    (male)

monguuse12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katanahamon View Post
    Can't figure out how to eliminate the double post, so..here is nothing to replace it..

Katanahamon,

Thank you. This was very helpful. If one has had several infections, and Levaquin is the only thing that works, surgery is the only solution. But, what do you think is the risk to the eyes?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
    monguuse12
    (male)

monguuse12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monguuse12 View Post
    Katanahamon,

Thank you. This was very helpful. If one has had several infections, and Levaquin is the only thing that works, surgery is the only solution. But, what do you think is the risk to the eyes?
    And, by risk to the eyes, I mean the specific procedure of ethmoidectomy, which is the most effective way to improve drainage?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User

Risks of surgery are always directly related to the quality of the surgeon, but uncinectomy and ethmoidectomy are usually the starting points, along with turbinate reduction/correction of deviated septum and or nasal valve strengthening, depending of course on the individual's CT results. Risks specifically to your eyes, I'm not sure why you are concerned about that. If you have a good doc, FESS or functional endoscopic sinus surgery has good outcomes. Get a second opinion, and ask how much of the docs training has been in endoscopic methods. Ask nurses and CT techs about docs, they can sometimes tell you who is good (or who to avoid). They try to do the minimal thing necessary to make a natural drainage pathway. It's interesting to see how our sinuses develop..everyone's are different, which is why CT must be used.

Before I ever had any sinus surgery, I actually was diagnosed with a retinoschisis, which is when the lining of the eye separates into layers (sort of like a retinal detachment)and I have a visual field loss of around 25 percent at the bottom right eye, and no one could ever say if the constant sinus problems may have been the reason for it. If anything, the surgeries improved my vision by reducing swelling. I often noticed blurry vision when things were really bad. So, risk to your eyes is posed by allowing constant infection around and behind them, whether or not it is equal to the risk of surgery depends on the situation and is best left to the statisticians, but I would say if you need sinus surgery, don't worry about that, the risk is minimal, and that many sinus operations reduce the risk of eye damage by eliminating infections. My niece had a large cyst that basically pushed through her sinus and ate the lamina papyracea, that fine bone surrounding your eye socket, and her surgeon did a great job removing the cyst and improving her health.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
    Katana
    (male)

Katana HB User

I should have said that if you have had damage from levaquin, don't use it, get your doc to find you some something else. Also, more succinctly, if your CT shows you really need surgery, it will outweigh other risks as infections in there can cause lots of bad things. And, if you have to be on something worse than levaquin all the time, that is more likely to damage you than surgery would.. Better to create clear drainage pathways and not have to take antibiotics..at least in an ideal world.

The Following User Says Thank You to Katana For This Useful Post:
    monguuse12 (04-25-2016)
    Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
    monguuse12
    (male)

monguuse12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I should have said that if you have had damage from levaquin, don't use it, get your doc to find you some something else. Also, more succinctly, if your CT shows you really need surgery, it will outweigh other risks as infections in there can cause lots of bad things. And, if you have to be on something worse than levaquin all the time, that is more likely to damage you than surgery would.. Better to create clear drainage pathways and not have to take antibiotics..at least in an ideal world.

Thank you. The only reason I am so concerned about the eye is that I only have one good eye and if it is damaged, I have no good eyes. The surgeon says there is a 1% chance the eye will be damaged. I think he probably meant less than 1%.

Closed Thread

Tags
    antibiotic resistant infection, levaquin