It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus surgery or not? Dizzy for 7 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
    blacklabs19
    (male)

blacklabs19 HB User
    Sinus surgery or not? Dizzy for 7 weeks

I started a renovation at my house and noticed everyone I looked up I was getting dizzy. I went to the GP and they guessed at BPPV. Epleys did not solve the problem so I went to an ENT who agreed not BPPV but maybe a sinus infection due to my constant sniffles. I started on Flonase for two weeks and with no change went to a neurologist who mentioned MS. That scared me enough to get an MRI which luckily showed no ms or tumors but a closed right maxillary sinus with chronic sinusitis. I took two weeks of amoxiclav and then a week of Leva quin and prednisone to no improvement. I went to a second ENT who did a CT and confirmed my busted sinus and said I will need surgery. However, he said he doesn't think the dizziness is caused by the chronic sinus infection. Should I get the surgery and hope it clears the dizziness (lightheadedness really)? I also have a constant ringing in my right ear and when I go to pop then the right is not working properly. I go for a VNG next monday but I wonder if I should just set up the surgery that week as well to get over this thing. Any suggestions? Does a chronic sinusitis cause light headedness and ear issues? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Re: Sinus surgery or not? Dizzy for 7 weeks

Have you ever heard people warn not to have sinus surgery?

I did, and I didn't listen....or at least I did not do my homework. Now I have a big problem with my nose.

There are differing approaches and types of sinus surgery, ranging from invasive to conservative.

Even the conservative MIST surgery may not be in theh hands of an aggressive practictioner.

Will they also do a turbinate reduction? Well, no one told me, yet I had one, and too much was removed, Now I have a dry nose.

Allegedly, a sinuplasty is conservative BECAUSE IT PRESERVES NASAL STRUCTURES. But you would need to assess the risks, because I am not an expert.

You see, the more tissue and nasal structures they remove or open, the greater chance of destroying your nasal physiology and function.

I had aggressive sinus surgery - giant maxillary antrostomies, most of my sinuses removed. Did I ask for that ?

No, I envisioned "opening my sinuses" was a small membrane they just opened a little. Instead they knock out all the chambers which are not able to be replaced.

Your sinuses have a purposed, one of which is to create nitric oxide which is important in breathing. When you have a giant open space in your nose, your breathing is affected.

Do everything you can to avoid sinus surgery. It is harmful. When I went to see a pulmonologist because I had breathing problems after surgery, he said "we don't (as a profession) recommend it".

I think that says it all.

Closed Thread