It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus sugery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
    dansally
    (male)

dansally HB User
    Sinus sugery

My ENT wants to perform surgery to include three procedures, Septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and total ethniudectomy. I have heard bad stories about the success rate of these procedures and various opinion of the length of recovery post-surgery. A brief medical history. I am 59 years old and have taken Allegra and Flonase for several years for allergy problems. Two years ago I was diagnosed with COPD and now use Spiriva. I also snore regularly so bad that my wife uses ear plugs at night! The past 3 or 4 years I have suffered with really bad sinus infections with unbearable headaches. Last year it lasted (on and off) for 4 months and took several trips to the doctor and several different antibiotics to get over it. That is when my Primary Care doctor referred me to an ENT. He ordered a CT Scan and when he reviewed the scan is when he recommended these surgeries. Last month I had a really bad sinus infection, and am now suffering again. I am fine with some pain and suffering after this surgery if it will truly reduce the occurrence of these issues. I am totally miserable and have a difficult time working when these occur. So with that said, I am looking for advice on whether or not these surgeries have a good chance of resolving my sinus infection/headache issues. I really appreciate any advice or experience that you have had. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Sinus sugery

well, in 1980 I had a sphenoethmoidectomy due to numerous nasal polyps and bad drainage. Because the polyps themselves were my primary issue, the surgery was worth it for me. I think that my quality of life in general, regarding my sinuses, is better. I still do get headachy but I am not having constant sinus infections. Lately I will get one maybe twice a year, which is good for me.
    Surgery like this has come a LONG WAY since I had mine done. I would do it again, personally. You sound like you are not feeling well at all, so in my opinion you don't have much to lose if you do the surgery, you know? I wish you the best, whatever you decide. One more thing.... since my ENT recommended that I use over the counter Flonase, I am feeling really good! As you make your decision about surgery you might want to give that a try.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
    dansally
    (male)

dansally HB User

Sorry for the delay I have been on travel and really busy. Thanks for the reply! I do in fact already use Flonase, as well as Allegra. I have pretty much made my mind up that I am going to have the surgery in OCT. Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
    Cm034
    (female)

Cm034 HB User

Were you told that you had nasal polyps? If so, on one side or both or is he wanting to do the surgery based on your sinus infection? I guess I'm asking what the findings were on your CT Scan.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User

Whatever you do, think long and hard about having a turbinate reduction. The incidence of permanent nasal dryness all the way to empty nose syndrome is higher than is admitted. Since you are approaching geriatric years ( no offense) your nasal mucosa has its own aging problems (see geriatric rhinitis) - and a large intervetion, especially a turbinate reduction may increase the likelihood down the road of nasal dryness and problems.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-01-2016 at 05:01 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Teagan4 For This Useful Post:
    Machaon (07-01-2016)
    Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

For me the worst part was when the doctor took the packing out of my nose. These days though, even that is done differently. The surgery itself was no big deal.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

For a month or two the air entering my nose would feel SUPER cold, but I am sure that the winter weather was no help. That was my only symptom. I had only a very small amount of pain after the surgery.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had no external incisions with my surgery.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
    Purrfect2017
    (female)

Purrfect2017 HB User

Hi Sweet Potato
    What kind of Surgery did you have as you said you had no external incisions

Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had a sphenoethmoidectomy to remove about 50 nasal polyps

Reply Reply