It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Quitting Flonase

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
    wozniack
    (female)

wozniack HB User
    Question Quitting Flonase

So I ended up in the ER late Thursday night due to severe nasal congestion. I had had trouble breathing through my nose for a while due to my environment and the high pollen count outside. The doctor I saw prescribed me Flonase.

It didn't occur to me at the time to ask him if it was a "non-drowsy" spray as those types of medications keep me awake at night. I had been sleeping well until the third night of using the spray. After a night of tossing and turning, I only slept an hour, which completely ruined my day. Now tonight, although I feel tired, I am very wired! I really hope I get at least 3 hours of sleep in tonight so I don't feel bad tomorrow.

Right now, I'm on the "2x daily spray for 1 week" rule. Next week, I can take a lesser amount, which is only on spray in each nostril a day. What I want to do is get through the rest of this awful week, then do the "1 spray for week 2" rule, and then the third week start tapering off by doing 1 spray in each nostril every 2 days for a week and then maybe the following week doing 1 spray in each nostril every 3 days, making it just twice the fourth week.

Is that safe? Are people who take the full prescribed amount really supposed to take it for 6 months? I want to switch to another medication that is not going to keep me up for days. Also, when I don't get enough sleep I have all sorts of body pains, and I have a history of chest pains which is something else I worry about.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by wozniack; 07-28-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User
    Re: Quitting Flonase

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wozniack View Post
    So I ended up in the ER late Thursday night due to severe nasal congestion. I had had trouble breathing through my nose for a while due to my environment and the high pollen count outside. The doctor I saw prescribed me Flonase.

It didn't occur to me at the time to ask him if it was a "non-drowsy" spray as those types of medications keep me awake at night. I had been sleeping well until the third night of using the spray. After a night of tossing and turning, I only slept an hour, which completely ruined my day. Now tonight, although I feel tired, I am very wired! I really hope I get at least 3 hours of sleep in tonight so I don't feel bad tomorrow.

Right now, I'm on the "2x daily spray for 1 week" rule. Next week, I can take a lesser amount, which is only on spray in each nostril a day. What I want to do is get through the rest of this awful week, then do the "1 spray for week 2" rule, and then the third week start tapering off by doing 1 spray in each nostril every 2 days for a week and then maybe the following week doing 1 spray in each nostril every 3 days, making it just twice the fourth week.

Is that safe? Are people who take the full prescribed amount really supposed to take it for 6 months? I want to switch to another medication that is not going to keep me up for days. Also, when I don't get enough sleep I have all sorts of body pains, and I have a history of chest pains which is something else I worry about.

Thanks for reading...
    There is no requirement that you take for 6 months. You can drop back to one spray each nasal passage per day when ever you want. Also, you can stop anytime your allergies improve and go back to it when your symptoms get worse. They do say after about 3-5 days of use it will give you better relief.

You might also try rhinocort that became an OTC spray in Feb 2016. It gives people less of a hyped up feeling than flonase. However, some people find this hyper feeling with flonase gets better after about 5-7 days of use.

Last edited by EricNC; 07-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Closed Thread