It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Could I have chronic sinus infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
    Argon18

Argon18 HB User
    Could I have chronic sinus infection?

Hi,

I have been very ill for just over 3 months now and still don't have a clear diagnosis. I'm hoping this group can tell me if my symptoms could be those of a chronic sinus infection.

I became ill with flu-like symptoms after returning from a trip to North Carolina. It started with a soar throat, fever, fatigue, congestion. Then the nose congestion moved to my ears. I had extreme pressure and pain. I have been having continuous discharge running down the back of my throat. My nose feels blocked even though air goes through. I have continuous chills but no fever now. Lately, I have developed pain and much pressure on my forehead and behind and around my eyes. I am very tired, never seem to sleep enough to feel rested. I have a cough and find breathing harder than usual.

After four weeks, I tried 2 short treatments of antiobiotics but it did not help me.

Earlier on, the most pain I felt was in my ears so I went to see an ENT. He said it looked like I could have a sinus infection and I am waiting for a CT-scan. Since then, the pressure has expanded to my forehead and eyes and so I am thinking that it could be a chronic sinus infection. He didnt tell me after the scan, if it confirmed a sinus infection what type of treatments are available.

Could this be chronic sinus infection? If so, how have others gotten rid of it? Could it explain my extreme fatigue and chills?

The ENT said the cause could be viral or allergies. Could allergies be causing so many symptoms?

I am very depressed and sad about feeling so bad for over 3 months and wonder if the chills could be induced by anxiety.

Any insight on what this could be and how to treat it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User
    Re: Could I have chronic sinus infection?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argon18 View Post
    Hi,

I have been very ill for just over 3 months now and still don't have a clear diagnosis. I'm hoping this group can tell me if my symptoms could be those of a chronic sinus infection.

I became ill with flu-like symptoms after returning from a trip to North Carolina. It started with a soar throat, fever, fatigue, congestion. Then the nose congestion moved to my ears. I had extreme pressure and pain.

I have been having continuous discharge running down the back of my throat. My nose feels blocked even though air goes through. I have continuous chills but no fever now. Lately, I have developed pain and much pressure on my forehead and behind and around my eyes. I am very tired, never seem to sleep enough to feel rested. I have a cough and find breathing harder than usual.

After four weeks, I tried 2 short treatments of antiobiotics but it did not help me.

Earlier on, the most pain I felt was in my ears so I went to see an ENT. He said it looked like I could have a sinus infection and I am waiting for a CT-scan. Since then, the pressure has expanded to my forehead and eyes and so I am thinking that it could be a chronic sinus infection. He didnt tell me after the scan, if it confirmed a sinus infection what type of treatments are available.

Could this be chronic sinus infection? If so, how have others gotten rid of it? Could it explain my extreme fatigue and chills?

The ENT said the cause could be viral or allergies. Could allergies be causing so many symptoms?

I am very depressed and sad about feeling so bad for over 3 months and wonder if the chills could be induced by anxiety.

Any insight on what this could be and how to treat it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    I have had some issues like that from sinus problems. Especially, if you have bad allergies, it can be tough to get rid of this nasty stuff. It usually does clear up, but I have sometimes I had take oral cortisteroids and try several antibiotics. Good news it will eventually begin to clear up. It does seem this late summer can be rough if you have allergies because of smog and humidity.

I have gotten additional relief from a neil med sinus wash (use distilled water) and my ent gave me a budesonide solution to add to the wash that reduces swelling. If you google washington university of st. louis and budesonide and sinusitis some info should come up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by EricNC; 08-11-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
    Argon18

Argon18 HB User

Thank you Eric.

That is useful, I will look up the budesonide. I started the Neti pot this week. In my case, nothing comes out except the solution and I find it rather abrasive inside. Not sure it helps yet but I will continue anyways, nothing to loose.

I took prednisone for 2 weeks but it didn't help much and it made my heart race. I started a 3-week antibiotics treatment a couple of days ago. I'm crossing my fingers it will bring some relief.

Have you had episodes lasting several months? And did the pain sometimes bring nausea?

I will see an allergist in September to see if allergies are making it worse. There is a cat new to my household since December. Perhaps, I am allergic.

It is really nice to read that this eventually clears up.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
    EricNC
    (male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User

Sounds like your doing the right thing. I used to get sinus infections that go on for about 6 weeks. The long term antibiotic sounds like a good plan. I used to get better right about the time I would hit the end of the antibiotic cycle and then get worse when I stopped using it. I think if mucus gets into your stomach or inner ear, it can give you some stomach flu (mild) symptoms. Mucinex (OTC) can help thin out the mucus. If you try it, drink a bunch of water at the same.

I still use mucinex to keep things from getting stuffed up. I use the 600 mg tablets(blue formula).

Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

I feel for you going through that this long. Im on about 3 weeks an its getting me down feeling sick, dizzy, head pressure an in ears also, my throat feels sore from drainage. I went to urgent care, my doc twice an er today. I cant believe a sinus an ear infection is lasting this long. 1 round antibiotics did nothing. Hope you get some relief soon. Was you also having dizziness or light headed feeling?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
    Argon18

Argon18 HB User

Hi,

I feel light headed but not too dizzy. I had a long bout of a vestibular disorder in my early 20s but this is nothing like it. I think one day of those symptoms is already too much. I can't wait to find relief. It helps to know others are going through the same steps. Right now, my worst symptoms are head pain - pressure -fullness in ears, back throat dripping and nausea. Are you also experiencing nausea? I find this symptom worrysome and difficult to handle. The process of seeing doctors and getting the various tests is really long. I saw a ENT in early July who requested a CT scan but the scan isn't until the end of September! I also have to wait until early September to see an allergist. Its hard to be patient when going through all this. Is it worth going to ER? Does it speed up the various steps?

Old 08-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

I could have wrote that post. Having ear fullness, sinus back thoat, severe headaches, dizzy, brain fog 3 weeks and its getting me down. Also eye pressure. Have been to urgent care, my doc twice in week an er. They all say same thing sinus infection. The fatigue is bad, but the worse is feeling a sick feeling in my head. Feels like low grade freezer. I am vit d decicuent so wonder if causing it. I am taming lots vitamins. Vit c helped alot at 1p0p iu. Wishing you the besr.

Closed Thread