It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sick constantly, sinusitis flare ups every 2 months. Advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
    4yrsinusitis
    (female)

4yrsinusitis HB User
    Sick constantly, sinusitis flare ups every 2 months. Advice?

This is my first time posting, so hey everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

I used to get acute sinus infections around once or twice a year. The rest of the year my sinuses generally felt completely clogged (chronic sinusitis, according to the doc and CT and MRI scans). I've had chronic sinusitis for 4 years, and I just want to get better. The pressure in my face got/gets worse when I bend over and in damp/ freezing weather. Unfortunately, it's damp almost year round where I live. Nothing would come out and I am tired of living constantly sick. I am tired in general.

After going for my first CT scan after a cold that went on for too long, it turned out that my septum was deviated slightly. The doctor didn't think it was a big problem at all, but I was offered a surgery to fix it. I didn't think that was necessary -at that time I hadn't tried any treatment at all. Allergy tests were/ are all negative so far.
    So I went home and tried a lot of home remedies;from the neti pot/salt rinses, breathing steam, and rinsing nose with various mixes (eg of hydrogen peroxide), to changing my diet and taking away milk, sugar. I also cycled went through the typical meds that the docs prescribed like Nasonex, Polydex, Avamys, etc, etc. Still, my face didn't feel better. We took out the carpet in our home, bought a humidifier... the place is not moldy and we have no pets. There is barely any carpeting and everything is kept clean. I workout a lot, I'm in good shape and otherwise completely healthy. My blood pressure is a tad bit low.

The problem is this past year I've been getting sick every 2 months (exactly). I'd go down for a couple of days with a fever of around 38 degrees celsius. I'd lay in bed for a week every 2 months feeling like sh*t.My forehead and cheeks would feel awful. I would take the typical painkillers, rest, all that, before giving up and going to the doctor for antibiotics. He would always prescribe the same stuff, usually amoxicillin, and it wouldn't help. I'd take meds to bring the fever down. If nothing helped, I'd get another prescription of antibiotics, even though they didn't help either and I'd explain that so far amoxicillin hasn't helped, I'd still get prescribed them anyway. For around the last year I'd hark up green and yellow mucus that goes down into my throat from my nose. I can't quite describe how bad I feel year round. It's obviously not the worst situation. I don't want complications from this or the frequent antibiotic use. I'm missing school.

Anyway doctor checked me out and found staphylococcus a (10^8 and resistant to penicillin) in the mucus from my throat. I drank antibiotics (not penicillin). I still spit up drip, but I haven't seen any yellow or green for a while. The pressure and swelling in the sinuses didn't go down. Blood tests were fine except for higher levels of cytomegalovirus and giardia lamblia, which was treated. The reason why I'm asking is that the last time I was sick was almost 2 months ago, and I don't want this pattern to continue.

The cytomegalovirus hasn't been treated yet (I know that it doesn't go away completely, but as the level is higher than normal so I'm going to do something about it).
    Is it possible that my sinus problems are because of it? Should I get that surgery to fix the slightly deviated septum? Drinking antibiotics constantly is not ideal, but I feel like I don't really have a choice.

Honestly, general advice would be absolutely greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to 4yrsinusitis:
    sweetpotato13 (08-27-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User
    Re: Sick constantly, sinusitis flare ups every 2 months. Advice?

I dont really have advice but relate to your symptoms an also have deviated septum an a nasal polylp. The behind the eye pressure is getting to me. Was just put on antibiotics an not expecting much. Been 2 an half months. I really hooe someine has some answers for you, feel your misery.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
    FrancineL
    (female)

FrancineL HB User
    Re: Sick constantly, sinusitis flare ups every 2 months. Advice?

I was like you, major sinus infection 4-5 times a year, leading to pneumonia at least twice a year. I finally bit the bullet and had sinus surgery......that was 20 years ago and I'm still not having any sinus problems. It's an icky surgery, not painful but uncomfortable.....but I've never been sorry I had it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    advice or experience, antibiotics don't work, chronic sinusitis, home remedies, sinusitis