It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronis Sphenoid Sinusitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
    nobody102
    (male)

nobody102 HB User
    Chronis Sphenoid Sinusitis

53 yo male here. Had major sinus surgery 25 years ago. Over last two years, left sphenoid kept getting infected. Had two baloonplasties over that period. No help CT 3 months ago showed left sphenoid completely occluded. Has a spenoidotomy 2 months ago. ENT said it was the worst case he has seen. Was completly full of thick, hardened stuff. Made a HUGE opening - 1.5 cm. pathology showed scant signs of pseudomonas aeruginosa. He did not put me on any antibiotics right away. Was healing slowly, then a month ago, got a cold, and things got bad. Had another CT this week. inflammation is back. Was put on a 12 day course of high prednisone and augmentin. After 10 day course of augmentin, no better.
    Scoped this week, and still not good. Tissue inside is still swelling and there is purulent discharge. Terrible smell on that side of my nose. So now, I am on cipro (terrified of that) for 3 weeks. Also put a propel steroid stent in there to try to calm down the inflammation w/o oral steroids. I am really praying this new treatment will work. Going back in a week for follow-up. This has been so frustrating and debilitating (can't sleep due to pain, now taking ambein). I don't know if I should get a second opinion to look at what is going on, or if there is some other underlying cause that is preventing the healing to take place, or are there infection/immune drs that treat this? I had my Ige tested last year because of all my infections, and it was normal. Also, not diabetic (a1c of 5.2). Any help or guidance apperciated!

Last edited by nobody102; 08-27-2016 at 03:09 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to nobody102:
    sweetpotato13 (08-27-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    infection, sphenoid sinusitis