It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Empty Nose Syndrome or other issue?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
    NeuroticNigel
    (male)

NeuroticNigel HB User
    Empty Nose Syndrome or other issue?

Hi guys I'm 27, I'm in good physical health except for the problems Im about to describe to you. No issues that I know of other than my sinus problems.

4 years ago I had Septum surgery with turbinate reductions. A few months after the surgery I knew something was wrong and that I was not recovering properly. The recovery was as hellish as I had heard that it would be. but WELL past the expected recovery date, I continued to experience the symptoms that I had immediately after surgery. Even after the "final chunks" of scabbing and scar tissue were removed by the doctor I still felt obstruction in my airways and have been unable to properly breathe through my sinuses. Returning to my doctor to express my problems went nowhere. All he did was "check" my sinus with his flashlight, determine everything looked "correct" and encourage me to continue using my nasal spray and allergy medication.

At this point I'd like to clarify, the obstruction that I "felt" and still feel to this day is not just a feeling. I awaken every morning with (GROSSOUT WARNING) large chunks of bloody, crusty, solidified mucus that completely blocks my nasal passage. 4 years after this surgery! Is that not insane? Every morning for 4 years Ive spent an extra 15 minutes a day honking and blowing solid nasal crusts, the same variety that I had immediately post surgery, just to get some semblance of breathing ability. This breathing ability goes away about 15 minutes after I finish this routine too, btw, a routine I can only go through if I have a hot shower to loosen everything up. After I get it all out and go about my business, however, my sinuses swell up again except now theres nothing to blow out except regular clear mucus with the occasional crusty chunk. I probably blow my nose about 30 or 40 times a day but my breathing never improves. Physical activity, time, eventually I have to blow my nose again.

You might be wondering "But Nigel, ENS is described as the feeling of obstructed sinuses even when breathing is clear. You clearly have obstructed sinuses beyond just a feeling". I admit I do not fully understand what this disease is. But my symptoms are very complicated. I do feel that consciously I can breathe through my nose well, but the upper airway still feels restricted and I feel like I have to remind myself to breathe through my nose and it doesn't seem like much oxygen is getting through when I do. Its a very complicated thing to describe.

The reason I had the septum surgery to begin with was the year prior I had developed a pretty serious allergy problem out of now. My nasal passages were very restricted and I had severe post nasal drip to the point that it would pool constantly in the back of my throat causing (to those who suffer from post nasal drip) the all too familiar issues with clearing ones throat constantly. But much worse than that is the effect it has on your sleep. Besides not being able to breathe properly you are constantly awoken by the feeling that post nasal drip causes. Combined with that, I think those of us with severe congestion and obstruction have a harder time getting through our day and having the physical and mental energy when our breathing is so restricted.

I remember the days of clear breathing and to me they seem like a dream of a life. I thought clearer and had more energy. I was in better physical shape and less lethargic. The whole ordeal has caused significant depression and instead of fighting for my health after the problems with the surgery I gave up and moved forward with my life. We only have so much time and energy for consulting doctors and applying treatments. I by no means have it anywhere near as bad as many others out there when it comes to my health but this is a problem that if I can not fix I at least want to know the cause and do the best that I can because my quality of life is not what it should be for a young man and I want it back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
    jamesrskinner
    (male)

jamesrskinner HB User
    Re: Empty Nose Syndrome or other issue?

It does sound to me like you are experiencing ENS.

Last edited by Moderator1; 12-24-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Closed Thread