It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Constant Sinus Issues for almost 10 Years

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
    Anthemic
    (female)

Anthemic HB User
    Constant Sinus Issues for almost 10 Years

I've been dealing with constant sinus problems for almost 10 years (age 16 - 25). I don't remember how the sinus issues began, but I know it's been happening since I was in high school. It started happening soon after getting the Gardasil vaccine (not sure if it's related). I have done almost everything to fix my problems. I have had 2 sinus surgeries and I've been on many allergy medications. I've even been on oral steroids for my sinus issues, which gave me HORRIBLE side effects.

My first sinus surgery was at age 20, and my second sinus surgery was at age 24. I still think my septum is deviated, but my surgeon said that there's only so much someone can do to a septum. I have to blow my nose daily, and I'm even getting open cuts inside my nose. I can only smell sometimes (50% of the day) and I can rarely breathe through my nose (5-10% of the day). I remember being able to breathe out of my nose the moment I woke up from both surgeries. I thought I was cured. But as the weeks went by, the congestion and ability to breathe got worse.

I've taken all kinds of allergy meds: Zyrtec, Allegra, Mucinex, Claritin, and another one I can't remember. I've taken all kinds of nasal sprays, which never worked. Right now, I'm on the off brand version of Zyrtec, since the original Zyrtec is expensive. The only things it does for me is keeps my eyes and throat from itching constantly, and helps me avoid constant sneezing.

I know I have horrible allergies; but shouldn't my allergy pills help me breathe through my nose, and at least be able to smell most of the time? I don't have a sinus infection, but my doctor said the inside of my nose is inflamed as if I do have one, (even though I don't). The allergy pills do work for some things, they just don't work enough. My doctor said I may need allergy shots, but they're expensive, even with insurance. Before I decide to start getting them, I'd like to know if anyone else has greatly benefited from them. I'm so sick of always having to carry tissue wherever I go so I can blow my nose.

Could this just be severe allergies?

Last edited by Anthemic; 12-20-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Constant Sinus Issues for almost 10 Years

Yes, it can be and most people get relief with the shots. They only last about 10-15 years for me before I have to go back on antihistamines but, lordy, they are great while they work! You can get regular zyrtec at Sam's for like $15 for 2 years worth.Take 2 a day - morning and night.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Anthemic (12-21-2016)
    Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
    Anthemic
    (female)

Anthemic HB User
    Re: Constant Sinus Issues for almost 10 Years

Hey, you're from Birmingham! I frequent there, and work there as well.

Thanks so much for the reply! I had no idea the allergy shots can stop working. They told me that 5 years worth of allergy shots can sure someone. Oh well, 10-15 years sounds pretty good, too.

Closed Thread