It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Constant Catarrh/phlegm in throat - extremely frustrating

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
    qwrty2017

qwrty2017 HB User
    Constant Catarrh/phlegm in throat - extremely frustrating

Hello, first time poster here.

I have suffered for about a year now from excess catarrh/phlegm at the back of my throat.

I always get this after drinking or especially eating meals.

It is extremely distressing because I have to constantly clear my throat. When I talk, often my throat gets "blocked" and my speech is affected - in that my words cannot come out because of the phlegm in my throat. This makes me nervous to even speak to someone and can be very embarassing.

In terms of medical history, I have OCD and was taking aripiprazole for it. My GP believed that this was the cause, so when I saw my psychiatrist last we agreed to stop it. However I have stopped for 2 weeks now and still have the phlegm / catarrh.

A few months ago another GP thought it was acid reflux and put me on Omeprazole but this did not help whatsoever so I have been taken off it.

It seems that no medical professional I have seen knows what is wrong with me. I am growing increasingly concerned and hope that someone on here can help me.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Constant Catarrh/phlegm in throat - extremely frustrating

Dear qwrty,

Same here. I've also been having unusually thick mucus drainage in my throat. If it's not yellow or green, it's not dangerous; but still is, as you mentioned, annoying. It was making me sneeze, choke and cough.

Years ago I didn't get the drainage unless I had an ear infection or a cold. Lately I have been having the symptoms every day. Funny to see your post because I just resolved the cause of my current drainage issue. Last night my ears felt stuffy, so I put a dab of Vicks vaporub on a piece of cotton ball and put that in my ears. This morning the thick drainage that was in my throat was significantly improved.

I had forgotten that throat drainage can be from the ears. I didn't have pain in my ears, just a slight full feeling. This time the drainage is due to ear canal congestion.

My mother always used Vicks vaborub for any congestion issue and even saved a cat that had distemper by slathering it with Vicks and putting the cat in an enclosed area with a vaporizer. It was dying, so mom did what she could, and the next morning the cat's congestion was gone, mom toweled it's fur and the cat was just fine. Never get Vicks near your eyes.

Thick or thin post-nasal drip/drainage down the throat can be from allergies, the odor of paint or other chemicals or from smoke. I can get thick phlegm from sugary drinks, milk (fresh raw milk doesn't cause that reaction; I grew up on fresh raw milk) fake dairy products, fake pre-prepared food products, excess dryness in the air, chemicals such as smoke, fresh paint, cleaning products, perfumed products, blooming plants, plant pollen or molding leaves.

I was suffering the thick mucous myself and couldn't over come it by drinking hot tea, but last night when my ears felt stuffy, so I got out the trusty Vicks, and put a dab on a piece of cotton ball and into each ear. This morning I noticed that the thick throat drainage was mostly cleared up, too. It's easy to forget how connected the ear canal is connected to the throat. I may have been having ear congestion all along.

I suggest that you notice which foods or food combinations may be affecting you, and avoid those. And, try some Vicks in your ears over night. Let me know what resolves your issue.

Reply Reply