It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Questions about symptoms. Help please

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
    foxsloth
    (female)

foxsloth HB User
    Questions about symptoms. Help please

Some background: a few months ago, my gf coughed some food up her nose while she was eating and laughing. It was mashed potatoes and chicken. They were trapped somewhere in her sinuses but ENTs couldn't find anything through scope so no one really believed her :/ It caused her a lot of head pressure and pain. Eventually, after taking a lot of anti-inflammatories, it worked itself out, the pieces dislodging and draining out.

Now, a couple weeks ago, the same thing happened again, except this time it's popcorn. Every so often, pieces would drain out and manage to fall into the wrong tube and into her lungs, causing her a lot of pain and difficulty breathing. We don't really know what's going on but doctors haven't been much help :/ Just an hour ago, some particles fell into her lung and caused her to completely stop breathing for a few seconds--like no air at all. She collapsed on the ground and couldn't move or stand. Luckily she had an inhaler from a recent ER visit which she immediately used that helped.

Right now, she's experiencing some of these symptoms: it feels like something is moving from over the top of her ear, into her cheek, and into her chin. Whatever it is, it keeps moving around. Is that a common/normal symptom??? If she puts her hand on her cheek, she can feel something moving.

She's been to the ER so many times and they don't help her. She's going to make some appointments tomorrow with ENTs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: Questions about symptoms. Help please

I don't mean to offend, but to be totally honest, imho something sounds off with this story. People with an obstructed airway that are unable to breath to the point of unconsciousness generally don't wake up and become able to use an inhaler. An inhaler doesn't remove the obstruction and a totally obstructed airway wouldn't allow the medicine from the inhaler to reach the lungs.

If your gf truly inhaled popcorn and stopped breathing it seems to me that she should seek immediate help because that popcorn may still be in her lung and needs to be removed before it swells and causes more problems like aspiration pneumonia or an even more obstructed airway.

I would also highly recommend you learn the heimlich manuever.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
    foxsloth
    (female)

foxsloth HB User
    Re: Questions about symptoms. Help please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harri3t View Post
    I don't mean to offend, but to be totally honest, imho something sounds off with this story. People with an obstructed airway that are unable to breath to the point of unconsciousness generally don't wake up and become able to use an inhaler. An inhaler doesn't remove the obstruction and a totally obstructed airway wouldn't allow the medicine from the inhaler to reach the lungs.

If your gf truly inhaled popcorn and stopped breathing it seems to me that she should seek immediate help because that popcorn may still be in her lung and needs to be removed before it swells and causes more problems like aspiration pneumonia or an even more obstructed airway.

I would also highly recommend you learn the heimlich manuever.
    I said she collapsed, which is different from losing consciousness. She did not lose consciousness, only collapsed where she wasn't able to stand for a few seconds due to the sudden loss of breath. She already visited the ER when this initially happened a few days ago where they did a bronchoscopy that didn't find anything.

Maybe it's not popcorn that is sometimes draining into her lungs and it's just mucus-- either way, whatever it is, it's something that sometimes causes her difficulty breathing.

Anyway, she visited an ENT today and they think the current pain that she's experiencing in her cheeks is TMJ. However, it's not 100% certain so they recommended she see a dentist.

Reply Reply

Tags
    sinus issues