It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Swelling inside nose

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User
    Swelling inside nose

Does anyone suffer from swelling inside your nose? It always happens in my right nostril. As a result of this, the roof of my mouth hurts when I eat or even brush my teeth. This started happening about six years ago. I would go to the ENT & he gave me steriod pills to take, antibiotics & a prescription nose spray. It would go away & was a while before it returned again. It ended up happening about four times through the years. Then February 2019 I woke up with a cold, my nose was swollen inside again on the right side & the roof of my mouth was hurting even at times when I wasn't eating. Eating anything always makes it worse. I went to the ENT & he told me it's allergies, before he said it was sinuses. Oh brother. So, I went to an allergist & he looked up my nose & said he did not feel I had allergies or a sinus infection. He said I had a bacterial infection inside my nose. He prescribed me an ointment called Mupirocin USP 2%. He told me to place it in my nose three times a day, and to even use it for a week after it was gone. I was relieved how it went away. Then suddenly it returned with a vengeance. So back to the ENT. He was very rude to me & said there was nothing I could do, and that I would have to live with this. He declared it was allergies & that I was allergic to the town I live in. That's insane & ridiculous. I've lived here my entire life. I saw in reviews on yelp he told some other lady this, so I guess this is what he says if he can't figure it out or doesn't want to. So I then went to another ENT, she gave me antibiotics to take for a three weeks. I notice it was better, but I still felt the sharp feeling in the upper part of my mouth. My nose wasn't swelled then, it was more the feeling on the roof of my mouth. She said it sounded like an infection & told me to take the antibiotic another week. It felt better for about four days & I finally thought it was finally gone. Now it's back to the swollen nose in the right nostril. I'm ready to go out of my mind. I am using the netti pot daily, and I used flonaise for two days. It feels better, but not completely. I just watched a Dr. on ******* saying not to use Flonaise for more than 3 days or someone's nose will then swell more. I'm at my wits end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Swelling inside nose

First of all, am sorry you are dealing with this. sometimes it can be difficult to figure out.
    Next, you can become allergic to anything at any time, no matter if you haven't been allergic to it for 50 years...it can happen. So it could be where you live. Have you tried antihistamies? Had allergy testing? While it could be allergies, baterial or fungal, you'll need testing to weed it all out. Go to an allergy practice as they are immunologists and probably will do testing, etc. Keep us posted

Old 11-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Has any of the doctors sent you for x-ray or CT or MRI? If not, push for something that might give them more insight rather than only what they can see.
    Did you have a nasal swab?

Flonase is a topical steroid and can be used for long term. It can, however, cause nose bleeds, dryness, irritation...etc.
    Decongestant sprays can cause rebound congestion, and limited use is recommended.

Have you tried Sudafed? Have you tried Singulair?

Hope you start to have improvement soon.

q

Old 11-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haylo View Post
    Does anyone suffer from swelling inside your nose? It always happens in my right nostril. As a result of this, the roof of my mouth hurts when I eat or even brush my teeth.
    Swelling inside the nose comes from swollen turbinates and swollen nasal membranes, caused by either infection or allergies or both, IMHO. The turbinates are like tubes within the nose, which commonly blocks up only one nostril. In my case, decades ago when I had sinus problems, if I remember correctly, if I lied on my right side, my right nostril would block, and my left nostril would open up, and if I lied on my left side, my left nostril would block and my right nostril would open up. The turbinates can shift within the nasal passages, causing stuffing or unstuffing of the nose.

The roof of your mouth lies under your sinus cavities and nasal membranes, so if there is inflammation and irritation up there, it can cause pain on the roof of the mouth.

Quote:
    Then February 2019 I woke up with a cold, my nose was swollen inside again on the right side & the roof of my mouth was hurting even at times when I wasn't eating.
    If your nose is normally swollen on only one side, it could be that your nasal passages and/or turbinates are infected and injured. If so, antibiotics provide relief by killing the active infection, but the injuries are ripe for another infection. As soon as the antibiotics wear off, opportunistic bacteria can once again attack the damaged areas and re-infect. The damage/injuries to the turbinates and/or nasal membranes must be healed, or they will continue to re-infect and cause all kinds of problems.

When one has a sinus infection or nasal membrane infection, allergies always make symptoms worse.

Quote:
    I just watched a Dr. on ******* saying not to use Flonaise for more than 3 days or someone's nose will then swell more.
    I've been using Flonase sinus spray (Fluticasone) and Flovent asthma inhaler (Fluticasone) for decades. Great stuff!

Regards! I hope you can get some relief! Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply

« help | - »