It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus infection won't clear up

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User
    Sinus infection won't clear up

I went to an allergist & was tested for everything, and it showed I'm not allergic to anything. So then I went back to the ENT & her physician assistant gave me a really strong antibiotic to take. It has gotten somewhat better, but it is still very, very uncomfortable even after taking this strong antibiotic for 10 days now. I am absolutely miserable. A neighbor of mine told me one of her girlfriends had sinus surgery twice & it didn't help. She said she's been using the nirvage system for cleaning her sinuses, but my Dr. didn't recommend that. I have just been told to use the squeeze bottles with the saline twice a day which I've been doing.

In December I took a 30 day course of this same antibiotic & it did go away, but then it returned in April & is still going on. I'm at my wits end. I don't want to live like this. I fear now even the strongest antibiotic won't ever get rid of this. I also fear if I have sinus surgery it won't work, and also fear side effects. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who can't get rid of a sinus infection. The roof of mouth hurts that's right under my nose. The real sharp pain in my nose is gone, but it still feels weird. This is just not a normal way to live.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Sinus infection won't clear up

Hi Haylo!

Sorry that you are struggling with sinus infections. That is miserable. I went through multiple annual sinus infections for many years, until I finally got rid of them completely 17 years ago. I think that I was fortunate because I think that my sinus infections were in my nasal passages and not in the harder to reach sinus cavities.

My sinus allergies always led to sinus infections, several times per year for decades! My sinuses would swell up and then the next morning I would wake up with closed, stuffy, nasty, uncomfortable sinuses. Then, back to the ENT..... waiting long times in his waiting room, another antibiotic prescription, the long drive back home, and, at least $100 down the tubes!

"upside down sinus flooding infections gone"

It's now been over 17 years since my last sinus infection, as the result of flooding my nasal areas with diluted 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, after an antibiotic killed the infection. Chronic Sinus Infection misery GONE! Having to give my money to non-caring ENTs GONE! Long waits in ENT offices GONE!

I stopped my multiple, annual sinus infection with a boneheaded, stupid, dangerous and risky flooding of my sinuses with diluted 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, to protect the damaged sinus membranes, after antibiotics killed the infection. I had no idea what I was doing. I knew nothing about the risk to the Eustachian Tube openings at the back of my throat. I knew nothing about the structure of the Sinus Cavities, or the Nasal Passages. I knew nothing about the effects of Peroxide if it actually did get into my Sinus Cavities. I was stupid. But..... fortunately I was also very lucky. It worked and I have been sinus infection cured for over 17 years. No more sinus irrigation or sinus flooding. My nose behaves itself, and so do I! What a wonderful relief.

This should only be done under the supervision of a medical professional. It worked for me but I don't know if it would help someone else or make someone else worse!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You probably aren't totally flushing out all the infection. I'd try a neti pot, etc.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User

I use a netti pot twice a day, so I am flushing out my sinuses.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User

Thank you for your reply. Do you still use the hydrogen peroxide from time to time, or everyday or ever now. I just did it & was scared, but at this point I'll try anything. The first bit I poured into my nose burnt really bad & I didn't think I could take it. I thought if it doesn't go away I'll do the netti pot again. It did stop burning so I poured the entire cup of distilled water with one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide mixed in. I was able to tolerate it much better as I guess my nose got used to it. How many times did you have to do this before your sinus infection went away? Sorry for so many questions; I just want to make sure I do it right & as often as necessary. I just can't take living like this anymore. It's not NORMAL. I fear taking so many antibiotics; I've heard after you take so many they just stop working. That's what I think is happening now to me. I have also taken steroid pills & used the flonasase. The Dr. told me to stop using the flonase because it can cause glaucoma & cataracts. Oh brother, this is just terrible. My symptoms are always swelling inside on nostril real bad, and then the upper part of mouth hurts that's below my nose. It hurts to even eat. I sure hope this works. I do use hydrogen peroxide in my ear that's on the right side with all this problem, the Dr. told me to use it. It does help, because I seem to build up a lot of wax in that ear I think because of the swelling on that one side. I don't know why he didn't mention using it my nose, but I'm glad you did & pray it works for me. Again....sorry for all the questions, but it would be great to have the success you've had.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haylo View Post
    Do you still use the hydrogen peroxide from time to time, or everyday or ever now.
    I haven't flooded my sinuses with hydrogen peroxide in over 10 years! I used peroxide in my sinuses AFTER antibiotics had cleared up my sinus infection. The purpose for the hydrogen peroxide, IMHO, is to protect nasal membranes that were injured and damaged due to infections, until those damaged nasal membranes were completely healed and would not continue to get infected. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide will NOT kill an infection, IMHO.

Quote:
    In December I took a 30 day course of this same antibiotic & it did go away, but then it returned in April & is still going on.
    This makes me believe that your infections are probably in your nasal passages and not in your sinus cavities. Sinus cavities don't have a good blood supply and antibiotics don't work too well in there, IMHO.

The problem is that, as soon as you stop taking the antibiotics, the damaged, injured nasal membranes are easily reinfected causing a vicious cycle of infections.

I am not a medical professional, so take everything I post as just my personal, uneducated opinion.

Quote:
    I just did it & was scared, but at this point I'll try anything. The first bit I poured into my nose burnt really bad & I didn't think I could take it.
    3% hydrogen peroxide can be very irritating and painful within the nasal passages. I used to dilute the stuff, one part hydrogen peroxide to 20 parts water. For some females, even that was not enough dilution, and they had to dilute it one part hydrogen peroxide to 40 parts water.

I posted very lengthy and detailed documentation regarding exactly what I did, how I did it and how I tried to protect my eustachian tubes from getting clogged up with the hydrogen peroxide. It was titled "upside down sinus flooding infections gone". I'll search HealthBoards and see if I can find it and let you know.

I am not a medical professional or student. I don't know if 3% hydrogen peroxide, in one's sinuses, would make someone better or worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User

OK, let me know as soon as you can about your upside down sinus flooding cured your sinus infections. Amazingly this morning I can tell a difference & it must be because I used the hydrogen peroxide. Even though it burned when I put a small amount into my nose, five minutes later I put the rest of it in my nose & was able to handle it. I don't ever get stuffed up like I see others do with a sinus infection. When this happens to me it feels like a sharp pin is sticking into my nose. It's very painful, and as a result from the swelling in my nose the upper palate of my mouth, right below my swollen nose, hurts badly. I'm not sure if I should use the hydrogen peroxide again today. I am using the netti pots twice a day, but this wasn't really taking away the pain. (ENT told me to use Xclear sinus rinse instead of the packets for netti pots. It's supposed to be moisturizing & the other can dry one out. The pain has been better since taking the antibiotics; however, up until all day yesterday I still felt a burning in my nose & the uncomfortable stinging in the upper part of my mouth. It's either coincidental it's much better today, or just the one dose through my nose of a tablespoon of the hydrogen peroxide made a difference. I feel the hydrogen peroxide made a big difference, but I don't want to over use it. I get what you're saying, if it's an infection someone does need antibiotics, but I'd prefer never to get an infection again. Who would want one? I've been to three ENT's over this, spent countless amounts of money & time & set & cried in frustration.

The ENT who put me on the dose of antibiotics told me to stop using flonase that was helping because he said it can cause glaucoma & cataracts. So I stopped using it. I doubt many people are aware of this side effect. Thanks again for your replies, and I will anxiously be waiting to read about your upside down sinus flooding & how it cured your sinus infections. Take care

Old 07-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    OK, let me know as soon as you can about your upside down sinus flooding cured your sinus infections.
    It included a day-to-day log of my experiences and reactions. I'd hate to lose it... gotta find it! The title upside down sinus flooding infections gone was a strange title. I often wondered if I should have named it something else! Probably scared people away!

Quote:
    Amazingly this morning I can tell a difference & it must be because I used the hydrogen peroxide. Even though it burned when I put a small amount into my nose, five minutes later I put the rest of it in my nose & was able to handle it. I don't ever get stuffed up like I see others do with a sinus infection. When this happens to me it feels like a sharp pin is sticking into my nose.
    3% hydrogen peroxide, while it can't kill an entrenched infection, as far as I know, is deadly against various viruses and bacteria. Perhaps your improvement is caused by the 3% hydrogen peroxide reducing the amount of virus or bacteria load, allowing your body's own immune system to do a better job? I've had quite a bit of feedback from patients who experienced improvements to their sinus misery even though they were not completely cured like I was.

Quote:
    It's very painful, and as a result from the swelling in my nose the upper palate of my mouth, right below my swollen nose, hurts badly.
    When my sinus allergies act up, my upper palate gets sore.

Quote:
    It's either coincidental it's much better today, or just the one dose through my nose of a tablespoon of the hydrogen peroxide made a difference. I feel the hydrogen peroxide made a big difference, but I don't want to over use it.
    I did an "upside down sinus flooding" about 70 times over 5 years before I stopped doing it. Most of the sinus floodings happened during the first few months.

I've gargled with 3% hydrogen peroxide and brushed my teeth with it for many years. These days, because of Covid-19, after coming home from shopping I spray my facemask with it, I wash my hands with it, qtip my nostrils with it and gargle. Good stuff.

Quote:
    The ENT who put me on the dose of antibiotics told me to stop using flonase that was helping because he said it can cause glaucoma & cataracts. So I stopped using it.
    He's supposedly the expert and I am merely a lowly fellow patient, but I have been on corticosteroids daily for decades and, at 76, I've got perfect, clear eyesight. I use it for nasal allergies and also for asthma.

I've read that intranasal and inhaled corticosteroids may result in the development of glaucoma and/or cataracts but millions use them daily so I wonder what percentage of patients actually develop glaucoma & cataracts from it?

I've spent many hours documenting and posting about my experience. I received the following thank you. It's what motivates me to post about it!

Quote:
    Posted by Katerina on December 08, 2003 at 15:31:38 (from IP
    *************):

November 08, 2003 at 11:07:26:

Thank you for this website! You have saved my life. I suffer
    and suffer from non stop sinus infections. I now feel
    great and no more antibiotics!!!!! My sinus infections also
    used to go into my lungs from time to time. Gone too!!!!
    I can now live life. No more headaches.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
    Haylo
    (female)

Haylo HB User

I used the hydrogen peroxide again in my nose today. Amazingly today there was much less burning. It's still kind of here, but getting better. Could be the hydrogen peroxide in combination with the antibiotics. I don't want to keep taking antibiotics each time; they can lose their affect after taking them so many times. I've also taken steroids & those can be bad also. I have used hydrogen peroxide to whiten my teeth, works much better than stuff you buy at the dentist, plus it cost way less. I used the hydrogen peroxide to lift up a stain on one of my carpets that had been there for awhile; it lifted it right up. It is great stuff. I wonder why ENT's don't tell someone to use it in their nose. Mine did tell me to use it in my ears because the one side was popping all the time, the side I always get my sinus infections on. I don't want to overuse the hydrogen peroxide in my nose, but I can't find anything about this when I do research. I found a few things, but it didn't say how often to do it.

Let me know when you find your article, it sounds very interesting. Again, thank you for your help it's greatly appreciated. I hope I can have your same luck because these infections have literally been ruining my life. The corona virus is more than enough to deal with.

Reply Reply