It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Only one blocked nostril

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Only one blocked nostril

I have one nostril that is completely blocked ALL the time. The other one has pretty good airflow. No other symptoms at all except a little aching, and as far as I know, no allergies.
    ENT (telephone appt because of Covid) suggested steroid nasal spray (Nasacort) twice a day and said a humdiifier could help if I have one. I don't and I didn't buy one.
    No change after a week. I called him again. He said up the Nasacort to 3 times a day and buy Neilmed nasal sinus rinse. Use 3 times a day before I use the Nasacort.

Before I use the rinse, what happens when one nostril is SO occluded, (no air flow or musous in or out) and I use this rinse??? I can't imagine the solution will be able to flow thru or into this one nostril!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Only one blocked nostril

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zuzu8 View Post
    I have one nostril that is completely blocked ALL the time. The other one has pretty good airflow. No other symptoms at all except a little aching, and as far as I know, no allergies.
    ENT (telephone appt because of Covid) suggested steroid nasal spray (Nasacort) twice a day and said a humdiifier could help if I have one. I don't and I didn't buy one.
    No change after a week. I called him again. He said up the Nasacort to 3 times a day and buy Neilmed nasal sinus rinse. Use 3 times a day before I use the Nasacort.

Before I use the rinse, what happens when one nostril is SO occluded, (no air flow or musous in or out) and I use this rinse??? I can't imagine the solution will be able to flow thru or into this one nostril!
    Are you sure you do not have a deviated septum? I had blockage and no spray would work. Once the deviated septum was corrected, no blockage and it is very easy, non painful surgery, if you go to a good ear nose and throat dr.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I'm 77. I had sinus surgery 40 years ago for a polyp with zero issues since, not even the slightest problem. It's a good question but can you DEVELOP a deviated septum late in life, or are you born with it?

Old 11-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:

I'm 77. I had sinus surgery 40 years ago for a polyp with zero issues since, not even the slightest problem. It's a good question but can you DEVELOP a deviated septum late in life, or are you born with it?
    I wondered why I never had the trouble before my age of 50 or so on, so I cannot answer that. I developed allergies at 45 and that is when my stuffiness began. BIG TIME. Once that was take. care of, I hardly use any Kleenex and I used to go through boxes faster than Grand took Richmond. Went to a good ear/nose and throat man at USC. I don't think I was born with it; have a twin and she has NO problems.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #5
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:

Polyps are different. The deviated septum blocks the passage.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Interesting that you developed allergies late. I have no allergies. I just did a little sleuthing on deviated septums and it's unlikely one can develop it without first some kind of trauma happening to the nose/face. That's not ever happened to me. I'm waiting for my ENT (mine's at Cedars) to call me. I DREAD the idea of going to see him in person, trying to stay away from hospitals and ESPECIALLY this kind of doc during Covid. I'm fully vaccinated though. Hoping he may RX an antibiotic without needing to see me!

Old 11-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Interesting that you developed allergies late. I have no allergies. I just did a little sleuthing on deviated septums and it's unlikely one can develop it without first some kind of trauma happening to the nose/face. That's not ever happened to me. I'm waiting for my ENT (mine's at Cedars) to call me. I DREAD the idea of going to see him in person, trying to stay away from hospitals and ESPECIALLY this kind of doc during Covid. I'm fully vaccinated though. Hoping he may RX an antibiotic without needing to see me!
    To my knowledge, I NEVER had any trauma to my nose, if you can believe it and it made me wonder why I had it later in life.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just read that as we age it IS possible to acquire a deviated septum. Might not be severe, but enough to cause problems. Given my (ahem) age, maybe that's what's happened. Doc didn't call me back as promised by his nurse. So I'll call him again tomorrow, and see what he wants to do. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Just read that as we age it IS possible to acquire a deviated septum. Might not be severe, but enough to cause problems. Given my (ahem) age, maybe that's what's happened. Doc didn't call me back as promised by his nurse. So I'll call him again tomorrow, and see what he wants to do. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

You are welcome. If you have to have surgery, mine was a SNAP.

Feel free to let me know the outcome.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    I have one nostril that is completely blocked ALL the time. The other one has pretty good airflow.
    One problem that can cause blockage on only one side of one's nose is swollen turbinates.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #11
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Machaon. I remember you from The HIgh Blood Pressure board years ago!

Yes I'm familiar with turbinates - Just puzzled that only one nostril is affected.

Hope all is well in your world these days.

zuzu

Old 11-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi zuzu8! Yes... still alive and kicking!

My "one nostril" closure was caused by allergies. If I lied on my right side, my left nostril would close. If I lied on my left side, my right nostril would close. I feel that when I lied on one side the turbinate in the opposite nostril would flop over and close that nostril. Just a result of the law of gravity.

I would imagine that, if you have a closed nostril all the time, your turbinates on that side could be significantly enlarged blocking that nostril.

Something could be irritating you and causing the swelling. Have you recently changed your diet? Any new smelly chemicals enter your home? Any interior painting?

We are doing as well as we can. Thanks for the good words.

Best of luck and health! Bob

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Old 11-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #13
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey Bob-Trying to figure out what a trigger might be for this and the only thing I can come up with is the fact that we're starting to use our forced air heat lately. My landlord is going to change the filters,

Because of Covid I haven't been going out as much and sit breathing in what I bet are lots of fine particulates coming thru those heat vents.
    zuzu xx

Reply Reply

« CT of sinus | - »