It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Treat my sinus infections "upside down" with peroxide. It works!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Lightbulb Treat my sinus infections "upside down" with peroxide. It works!

*** ‘UPSIDE DOWN SINUS FLOODING’ CAN CAUSE LIQUIDS TO ENTER YOUR EUSTACHIAN TUBES AND MIDDLE EARS ***

Warning: Since I first posted on Healthboards, about sinus flooding, in Oct 2003, two people have reported getting liquid in their Eustachian Tubes and middle ears while trying this flooding. If you decide to try a sinus flooding, to attempt to treat your sinus infection problems, you should first get approval from your doctor, and do this procedure only at your own risk. I have done over 50 sinus floodings, without a problem with my Eustachian Tubes, and will continue to do them.

The following are the posts of those who reported problems with their middle ears and Eustachian Tubes.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210&page=19&pp=5[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1409537&postcount=160[/url]

Full documentation and description of the "Upside Down Sinus Flooding", with peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt, is not posted in this thread. I posted it under Allergies in the "New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation." thread, and then I refer to the documentation from more than one thread. .

To read the documentation follow the following link:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765[/url]

There is another discussion about the sinus flooding in the Allergies board, in the "How I fixed my sinus problems. (Updated version of "upside down" irrigation)" thread. To read, use the following link:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210[/url]

Last edited by Machaon; 01-06-2005 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Added warning about a risk of getting liquid into Eustchian Tubes and Middle Ears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I've been using the Xlear nasal wash with Xylitol(kills bacteria). It works good but yours sounds very extensive and maybe they both work adequately. I have panasinus which brings on bronchitis and so on and so forth. This last sinus infection I used the xlear and I didn't need to take any antibiotics and my nose stayed open most of the time and got rid of it faster than before, infections usually lasted for a month or more this time only 2 weeks and I attribute it to the nasal wash.

Old 11-18-2003, 04:42 AM   #3
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User
    Does nasal irrigation help with sinus pressure? I get killer sinus headaches.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daisyheadmaisy

Yes, by cleaning out the sinus passage it can relieve some of the pressure. Give it a try.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:21 PM   #5
    Corinna_H

Corinna_H HB User
    Re: Treat my sinus infections "upside down" with peroxide. It works!

Goodness beerzoids, what an amazing process! It sounds like the soaking is very effective! I was feeling a bit worried about the harshness of the peroxide, but then I recalled the mixture I'd had to 'sniff' up my nose after the sinus washout i had and i came to realise it was actually leading to spread of infection because it had nothing sterilising in. I wonder if tea tree oil would be less harsh but still antiseptic?

I have heard about the Neti pot as a way of irrigating sinus's and people swear by it. I guess it wouldn't soak, though.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corinna_H
    Goodness beerzoids, what an amazing process! It sounds like the soaking is very effective! I was feeling a bit worried about the harshness of the peroxide, but then I recalled the mixture I'* had to 'sniff' up my nose after the sinus washout i had and i came to realise it was actually leading to spread of infection because it had nothing sterilising in. I wonder if tea tree oil would be less harsh but still antiseptic?

I have heard about the Neti pot as a way of irrigating sinus's and people swear by it. I guess it wouldn't soak, though.
    Certainly, the other types of irrigation could be tried first, and then my type of "upside down" flooding irrigation could be used as the irrigation of last resort. I have also heard great results from the more typical irrigation. The main purpose for using a flooding technique, is to get the peroxide/baking soda combination to the source of the sinus problem.

I only use the "upside down" irrigation method. That might be because I am lazy. I can go several months before I need to irrigate again.

The peroxide stings a little more when using 5ml peroxide to 50ml water, rather than 3ml peroxide to 50ml water, but I usually choose to use 5ml peroxide. Perhaps, though, the reason that the peroxide doesn't sting my sinuses too much anymore is because my sinuses are doing so well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Nasal irrigation does well at treating the symptoms of sinus infection, and sinusitis, but it may not kill the infection. That is why some sinus sufferers have to irrigate all the time, or take antibiotics time after time.

My "upside down" anti-infective flooding of the sinuses has a better chance of getting to the source of the sinus problems, which could be multiple sinus infections in multiple sinus cavities.

This year, for the first time, I am going to use "upside down" flooding of my sinuses, instead of getting a flu shot. If I encounter any coughing or sneezing by others, I will do an "upside down" flooding of my sinuses with peroxide and baking soda, when I get home. Time will tell if this is effective.

I've stopped doing the flooding, since my sinuses are doing so well. No more stuffed up nose. No more sinus pressure. No more sinus clogging on one side and then moving to the other side. My sense of smell is slowly coming back. I get a new surprise "smell" almost every day. I blew my nose today for the first time in about a week, and the discharge was totally clear. I had chronic sinus problems since I was a kid. I can't believe that the bad sinus days are over.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM   #8
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Obviously you believe in your technique, which draining your sinuses is an important part of the treatment, but i have one concern. If the peroxide causes bleeding, their is the possibility the bacteria could get into the blood stream and cause a septicemia. Their is a rich blood supply in the nasal area. Can't you omit the peroxide? The solution doesn't have to have something to kill the bacteria, because bacteria can be easily aspirated into the sinus cavitys from the nasopharynx.

It is true antibiotics have a hard time getting into the sinuses, but if you combined the antibiotic with you technique, you migh recover faster.

Bruce

Old 12-04-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce
    Obviously you believe in your technique, which draining your sinuses is an important part of the treatment, but i have one concern. If the peroxide causes bleeding, their is the possibility the bacteria could get into the blood stream and cause a septicemia. Their is a rich blood supply in the nasal area. Can't you omit the peroxide? The solution doesn't have to have something to kill the bacteria, because bacteria can be easily aspirated into the sinus cavitys from the nasopharynx.

It is true antibiotics have a hard time getting into the sinuses, but if you combined the antibiotic with you technique, you migh recover faster.

Bruce
    I myself have to be careful because my sinuses bleed especially first thing in the morning and ends up causing problems in my bronchial tubes and throat. I use a commercial solution Xlear to wash mine out a couple times a week but even then I still may need to have antibiotic treatment.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    ... but i have one concern. If the peroxide causes bleeding, their is the possibility the bacteria could get into the blood stream and cause a septicemia.
    Opppps. Sorry about not responding to your question earlier.

If anything, my type of treatment might help to prevent septicemia, for those who have constant bleeding in their nasal passages from infections. The "upside down" flooding gets rid of the infection. If you are worried about the bacteria getting into the bloodstream, I would think that the risk of septicemia would be greater if the infection was allowed to progress.

I haven't had a bloody discharge in a long time. Each person's sinus situation is different. That is why it would be best for someone to check with their doctor before using my "upside down" technique.

My sinuses are open, and comfortable 24 hours. I used to wake up stuffed up. My sense of smell is coming back, very, very slowly. I think that the sinuses take many months to completely heal depending upon how much damage was done by the infection(s).

Quote:
    Their is a rich blood supply in the nasal area. Can't you omit the peroxide? The solution doesn't have to have something to kill the bacteria, because bacteria can be easily aspirated into the sinus cavitys from the nasopharynx.
    From what I have read, there is almost no blood supply in the sinuses themselves. Most of the blood supply is along nasal passages. Antibiotics need a blood supply in order to get at the infection, IMHO. That is why antibiotics don't usually work at curing infections within the sinuses. Just ask anyone who has been battling recurring sinus infections for years, like I had.

I find that the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda works great at curing my sinus infections, and making my sinuses feel great. After years and years of misery and doctors and surgery, I have found something that is highly successful at curing my sinusitis. I am not going to change a thing!

Quote:
    It is true antibiotics have a hard time getting into the sinuses, but if you combined the antibiotic with you technique, you might recover faster.
    Bruce
    Perhaps so, but I am overjoyed with the results. Even though I feel that it takes many months for the sinuses to heal, during that time, while I am keeping the sinus infections away, my sinuses feel very good. After several months of "upside down" flooding of my sinuses, the discharge was still somewhat yellow, but my sinuses were doing very well. During the time my sinuses were healing, I wouldl wake up in the morning somewhat stuffed, but it was no big deal. Durng the past two years, I've done an "upside down" flooding type of irrigation approximately 30 times, or an average of 2-3 times per month.

Now, however, I feel like going up on the top of a mountain and screaming, I have found a way to cure sinusitis!!! But, I feel that nobody is listening.

Thanks for your input. You have brought up some interesting points, that should be considered and discussed. I appreciate it!

Regards........

Last edited by moderator2; 12-14-2003 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #11
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

One side of my nose is always stuffed up. I do not get sinus infections often. How often should I do this?

Old 12-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    One side of my nose is always stuffed up. I do not get sinus infections often. How often should I do this?
    I feel that many people suffer from chronic, low grade or dormant infections, which cause problems with the sinuses, but don't manifest themselves as full fledged infections, until something sets them off. Your sinus irritation could also be caused by years-old crusty garbage that has never been flushed from your sinus cavities. I feel that the peroxide has a way of foaming the garbage out.

If your problem is caused, in part, to something within your sinus cavities, like bacteria, or crust, you might see a significant improvement after one treatment. I kept doing the treatments until the discharge was cleaner, and until my sinuses were feeling better. I've never done more than four treatments in any one day.

Let's assume that there is something in your sinus cavities, or an infection, that is causing irritation. If the anti-infective mixture doesn't get to the correct area, then the benefits will be limited. That is why I keep my head "upside down" for several minutes, and even tilt my head, somewhat, in order to get the anti-infective mixture into as many areas as possible.

When someone first uses the peroxide/baking soda/salt/filtered water mixture, it can burn quite a bit, even at 3ml peroxide to 50ml filtered water.

Once again, I must caution you. I am not a doctor and I have no idea about your particular sinus condition. It would be best for you to check with a doctor before trying my "upside down" process.

Regards

Last edited by moderator2; 12-14-2003 at 09:17 AM.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
    Corinna_H

Corinna_H HB User

Having had sinus problems for the last 50 years, I sometimes find myself thinking I have no problems currently, then when I pay attention to my sinus's I find they are painful, but I am so used to 'tuning out' the pain, I really don't notice it unless it is worse than usual, so no apparent pain may not mean no problem.

.... I keep my head "upside down" for several minutes, and even tilt my head, somewhat, in order to get the anti-infective mixture into as many areas as possible.

Beerzoids, a technical question; I take it you mean by 'even tilted' you mean the upside down version of head tilted back?

I agree about the near uselessness of antibiotics. Your theory that it is caused by poor blood supply to the sinus's meaning very little antibiotic gets to the site of infection sounds like the most likely reason.

another possibility is that it is a fungal infection in the sinus's and there antibiotics would not help although the peroxide would! I will never forget once getting a brief sudden intense smell of mould going down the back of my throat along with the perpetual post nasal drip, it was extremely strong and must have been in a sinus. Yuk!!

If I can get into the head down position (a real doubt...I am physically disabled) I will ceartainly try your method and am passing the info on to my son, who has acute sinus pain just now.

Thanks! You deserve a medal for services to humanity!!

Last edited by Corinna_H; 12-12-2003 at 11:19 AM.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Beerzoids, a technical question; I take it you mean by 'even tilted' you mean the upside down version of head tilted back?
    I mean that, with the top of my head down on the shower floor, I tilt my head to the side in order to get the anti-infective mixture into one of the sinuses to the sides of the nose, or face. The sinuses have got to be in a downward position in order for the mixture to seep into them from the nasal passages. It's all a matter of gravity. The liquid must travel DOWN into the sinus cavities for it to destroy whatever harmful bacteria, or debris, is in there.

Quote:
    I agree about the near uselessness of antibiotics. Your theory that it is caused by poor blood supply to the sinus's meaning very little antibiotic gets to the site of infection sounds like the most likely reason.
    I would go to a ENT and he would throw another antibiotic at me. Antibiotics act as decongestants, so when my sinuses were feeling better I thought that the antibiotics were working. NOT! Once the decongestant nature of the antibiotics was gone, the problems would just come back, and I would be back on another round of antibiotics, on and on and on and on. It is great for the ENTs.

Quote:
    If I can get into the head down position (a real doubt...I am physically disabled) I will ceartainly try your method and am passing the info on to my son, who has acute sinus pain just now.
    I have never tried lying in bed with my head tilted over the side, either on my back or on my stomach. I would be worried if I tried the sinus flooding on my back. In that position, the opening to the Eustachian Tubes, leading to the ears, could be at the bottom of the liquid, and there would be a danger of getting fluid into the Eustachian Tubes and into the ears, where it could do some damage.

The important thing is getting the sinuses down low enough so that the anti-infective liquid can seep into them, and so that the liquid does not get swallowed, or enter into the throat, or the Eustachian Tubes or ears. Since most of the sinuses are more inside facial areas, it would make more sense to lie on one's stomach, with their head off the end of the bed. I have never tested it that way. I might try it today, just to see what happens. I haven't done an "upside down" flooding since Oct 30th, so perhaps I'm due.

Let me know if you find a way. Please let me know what your son decides to do. I get very little feedback. I've only heard from four extremely happy "ex" sinus sufferers in two months. Either people aren't trying it, or people aren't feeding back, whether good or bad.

Quote:
    Thanks! You deserve a medal for services to humanity!!
    That is very kind of you to say. We gave brief thought to writing a book and selling the story. But, it was painful to think that ONE person might continue to suffer because they wouldn't get access to the information.

Thanks for your reply. Best of the holidays to you.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-25-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    If I can get into the head down position (a real doubt...I am physically disabled)
    I had suggested a method of lying in bed, on one's stomach, with one's head over the end, in order to get the sinuses in a down position, as a means of being able to flood the sinuses with the anti-infective mixture of peroxide and baking soda. I have never tried it so I don't know if it would even work for me.

After thinking about it, perhaps I was being too assumptive about your disability, and I may have sounded rude. If so, I apologize.

Do you think that there might be a way to do it?

Also, even though I feel that my "upside down" flooding technique is safe and effective, I am not a doctor. Before anyone attempts it, one should check with their own doctor.

Regards......

Last edited by Machaon; 12-12-2003 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread