It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• IS THIS A SINUS INFECTION?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
    DUKE1

DUKE1 HB User
    Post IS THIS A SINUS INFECTION?

Hello all new to this board.

Ok last Tuesday I became sick with what I thought was the Flue, this was the second time in 35 days that I would have had it. Symptoms I had were chills to the bone then hot as hell, terrible body aches, eyes killing me, high fever and one horrible sore throat it was clearly visible how swollen my neck was.

So on the third day (Thursday) I went to the walk in clinic. My Dr. retired 3 years ago and this was the first time since I needed a Dr. I am now looking for a new one. It was my mainly my throat killing me she told me that I had a sinus infection and gave me prescription that has worked well.

Can a sinus Infection cause the above? I was in real bad shape for a while and it was news to me that it could do this to a person, not that I ever gave a sinus infection any thought before I was told this.

Also a few question to you all.
    What can I do to prevent this again, twice in 35 days was ruff.
    Can this be contagious? Neither time has my wife or kids come ill after my battle.
    And any other tips would be great.

Thank you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
    Hillary5

Hillary5 HB User
    Arrow

To be honest, I have not heard of a sinus infecton causing such a state of suffering. Although I believe each person's body will react different to certain sickness. The thing that keyed me off is the swollen neck-if this is an allergic reaction it is one that targets your respiratory system. Do you have a history of family allergies, food or air?

------------------
    -HLGS-

Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    It sounds more like an upper respiratory infection to me. This basically affects your sinuses, ears, and throat. Did the dr mention anything about your tonsils being swollen? That would account for the swelling in your neck. Or you could possibly have swollen glands.

Old 02-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
    N2golf
    Inactive

N2golf HB User
    YES! It certainly can be miserable and what you described can be the effects of a sinus infection. I can't remember, did you say that you had headaches with it? Sinus infections can be contagious. They are also very hard to treat. I have had asthma/allergies/sinus problems for over 30 years. As far as prevention? I take a multi vitamin, 1000 mg. vitamin C and echinacea (when I first start to feel not right) and that seems to really cut down on the frequency of sinus attacks. Good luck!!!

Old 03-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Hi- You posed an interesting "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" question.
    Here's what seems to have happened in your case:
    You got the flu. And you got it bad!
    Flu is viral, but you subsequently developed a secondary bacterial infection (probably in throat)
    THEN you got a sinus infection as a complication of that.
    SO, it seems to me, although I'm not a doctor,(just giving my two cents)... the flu came first. The sinus infection followed. Of course any combo is possible. But glad you are feeling better anyway!!!

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 03-03-2003).]

Old 03-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #6
    Lisasv1

Lisasv1 HB User
    Let me clarify the last post as I know all about colds and sinus infections. I get them all the time.

You probably started out with a cold which is a virus. The flu is a bacteria which usually causes fever and vomiting. On the other hand, a Cold which is a virus is probably what you started out with, which usually gives symptoms like runny nose and a sore throat. When some of bacteria from your cold gets into your sinuses, you end up with a sinus infection.
    Antibiotics wont treat a (viral) cold, but they will treat the bacteria of an infection resulting from the cold.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread