It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus pressure sufferers - SURVEY - please participate.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User
    Question Sinus pressure sufferers - SURVEY - please participate.

Hello, This year was the first time I've ever experienced sinus problems. For 2 months now, I've had terrible pressure in my sinus cavities (ears, eyes, top of head, neck) everyday, varying from mild to severe. I've been through the process of seeing my ENT, the CT scan, the meds (antibiotics, nasal spray, allergy meds). It has helped to some degree, but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet. I am curious as to what all of us sufferers have in common, therefor I am taking this survey. Maybe it will shed some insight and help us understand the causes and nature of sinus problems. Please respond. I think it will be interesting. Add questions if you like. I probably will, as I think of more...

1) Do you have allergies?
    2) What are you allergic to?
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started?
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc)
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both?
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems?
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc)
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful?
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes?
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem?
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday?
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck?
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck?
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems?
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot?
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy?
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last?
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses?
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down?
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible?
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms?
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?)

Thanks... I hope none of these questions are offensive. They are not meant to be. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this, in any way I can. To help all of us. I'll answer the survey too. Take care!
    And PLEASE, if you find a good solution for your sinus problems, please come back and share it with us. Greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User
    Smile Survey

1) Do you have allergies? Yes
    2) What are you allergic to? Perfumes, Dust, Cats, Yeast, Mold
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? 28
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) Ears, Nose, Eyes.
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? Pressure
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? No took antibiotics though which sparked a rash and then allergies to everything.
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) No
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? Only change was antibiotic treatment for a sore throat.
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? No. Made it worse. Cipro and zithromax.
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?No.
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?No.
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? A bit.
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? Sore throat.
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 4
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? no
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? Used to be an insomniac. Now I sleep easily because sinuses make me so fatigued.
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? Yes.
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? Healthy.
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? It's all the time.
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? Morning.
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? No difference.
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? Ocassional ringing.
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? Exercise and aviodance.
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) No.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
    pd50

pd50 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny01
    2) What are you allergic to? Perfumes, Dust, Cats, Yeast, Mold
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? 28
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) Ears, Nose, Eyes.
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? Pressure
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? No took antibiotics though which sparked a rash and then allergies to everything.
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) No
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? Only change was antibiotic treatment for a sore throat.
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? No. Made it worse. Cipro and zithromax.
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?No.
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?No.
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? A bit.
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? Sore throat.
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 4
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? no
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? Used to be an insomniac. Now I sleep easily because sinuses make me so fatigued.
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? Healthy.
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? It's all the time.
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? Morning.
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? No difference.
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? Ocassional ringing.
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? Exercise and aviodance.
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) No.

I started with my allegies at age 15, I am now 50. I was skin tested and tested positive to mold, rageweed, grass, horse, dogs, cat, ect......
    Normally kept under control with actifed and antibiotics when sinus infections came from the inflamtion allergies caused.
    Now on rhinocort aq nasal steroid, actifed, and atenolol for high blood pressure.
    Get congested, ears block......off balance feeling from the clogged up head.
    Had cat scan of head, blood work hearing tests.negative
    Diagnosed with viral labrynthitis........that is slowly going away.
    Weather changes causes the tissues to swell and then the congestion starts.

I have read over the years in many books that when we get viral colds...... the tissues swell up and thus makes us prone to develope allergies......When the tissues swell the allergens have better entry to cause imflamation.........so many people that never had sinus or allergies problems may develope them after a viral infection. The only thing you can do is work closely with your ENT to find out what reduces your symptoms.......Being 50 years old I have been there and still am there. Hang in there......it will get better with proper treatmeant. With flare ups from time to time.

Forgot to mention I do have neck pain......but I have bulging discs in the neck.....that comes with age......no relation to my sinus condition. As we age so do our bodies......some things we have to get use to living with.....I learned to live with the neck pain and stiffness....Best thing to prolong neck problems is proper posture and strengthening excercises for the upper back.

Last edited by pd50; 11-18-2003 at 05:17 PM.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User
    1) Do you have allergies? yes; used to be in form of rash/hives/hayfever; now, it's in the form of inflammation of sinuses, it appears.
    2) What are you allergic to? dust/dust mites/pollen/mold/dog dander
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? started 2 mos. ago at age 42
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) ears/nose/eyes/top of head
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? mainly pressure, sometimes pain (maybe tension, when it's pain)
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? yes
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) yes!
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? yes, lots of changes
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? yes, but it's hard to tell, what really works, with all the different medications at once being taken. took biaxin
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? somewhat helps, allegra
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? yes, at first it was noticably improved; now, it's not as obvious.
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? yes.
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem?
    I had fifth's virus, aka "slap cheeks" virus in May. Don't think it is associated with my later developing sinus problems, but who knows.
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 3 hours
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? yes!
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck? maybe computer work station setup or bad sleeping posture or stress from sinuses.
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? sleep well now. when sinuses first developed, did not sleep well.
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? very healthy, except for high bp.
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? it's lasted for 2 mos. This is my first sinus problem.
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? usually in evening, but if I have an active day, it is bad during the day too.
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? laying down, I feel pressure intensify against my eyes.
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? at first, I heard loud throbbing by my ears. after meds, it disappeared, but comes back occasionally.
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? Flonase has helped some. Sinucleanse has helped some. Allergy meds seems to help some too. Nothing alleviates it all together. Oh yeah, and decogestants help some.
    yes, I had a two bridges put in on my left side of my mouth. Coincidentally, that is where I have pressure on my ears (left side).

Old 11-19-2003, 07:17 AM   #5
    Dove1960

Dove1960 HB User
    2) What are you allergic to? Never tested but know pet dander and dust for sure
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? every since I can remember
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) ears/nose/eyes
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? pressure
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? n/a
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) yes
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? Possible that this may have an effect. I went to the chiropractor and was sinus problem free for 10 years after a life of suffering. I need to go back to the chiro soon.
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? No unless there was an infection then yes
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? Some I am taking Zytec at the momemt but still get congested.
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? I have a nasal spray for the congestion it seems to be working some but not completely
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? OH YES
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? NO
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 3-4
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? No
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck? n/a
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? Yes/fine depends how bad the drainage is
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? yes
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? Healthy
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? It depends on the weather
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? morning and evening
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down?
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? ears feel plugged up
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? The chiropractor
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) NO

Old 11-22-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Sinus pressure sufferers - SURVEY - please participate.

2) What are you allergic to? Dust, dogs, cats, cotton, dyes, newsprint, old books, many foods, carbonless paper, milk, many chemicals, auto exhaust, and anything that moves or doesn't move...
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? During childhood.
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) Don't have.
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? Pressure, sometimes including aching.
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? n.a.
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) Yes, many.
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? Increase in Asthma and sinus problems after major highway opened.
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? Yes, but only temporarily.
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? No.
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? Yes, Beconase AQ
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? Yes
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? n.a.
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? Many!
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? No
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? I sleep very well unless my sinuses are blocked, which doesn't happen any more.
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? No.
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? I have Asthma, sinusitis and serious heart problems.
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? It varied from several days to weeks to months. The sinus spray masks underlying sinus problems, such as infections.
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? Worse at night.
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? I noticed it more when laying down.
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? No ear pressure.
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? Upside Down Peroxide and baking soda flooding of sinuses.
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) No

I had sinus infections and sinus misery for decades. After many failed experiments, I finally discovered a simple method for treating my sinuses, using peroxide and baking soda, which I call, "Upside Down Irrigation." I haven't had sinus problems in months.

Best of luck with your search for a solution for your sinus problems.

Last edited by Machaon; 11-22-2003 at 03:07 PM.

Old 11-22-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
    becky1954

becky1954 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slpagirl
    Hello, This year was the first time I've ever experienced sinus problems. For 2 months now, I've had terrible pressure in my sinus cavities (ears, eyes, top of head, neck) everyday, varying from mild to severe. I've been through the process of seeing my ENT, the CT scan, the meds (antibiotics, nasal spray, allergy meds). It has helped to some degree, but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet. I am curious as to what all of us sufferers have in common, therefor I am taking this survey. Maybe it will shed some insight and help us understand the causes and nature of sinus problems. Please respond. I think it will be interesting. Add questions if you like. I probably will, as I think of more...

1) Do you have allergies? No. I have non allergic rhinitis
    2) What are you allergic to?I am sensitive to odors
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started?18
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc)ears,nose,eyes
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both?both
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems?No
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc)yes
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful?no
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?Leviquin somewhat
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?Clarinex
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?Astelin
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes?yes
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem?no
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday?8
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck?yes
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck?computer 8 hrs a day
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems?no worse with sinus
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot?yes
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy?fairly healthy
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last?1 wk or longer
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses?morning and night
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down?laying down
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible?no
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms?symptoms still there
    no
    Thanks... I hope none of these questions are offensive. They are not meant to be. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this, in any way I can. To help all of us. I'll answer the survey too. Take care!
    And PLEASE, if you find a good solution for your sinus problems, please come back and share it with us. Greatly appreciated.
    [COLOR=Blue]

Old 11-26-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
    skittles411
    (female)

skittles411 HB User

1) Do you have allergies? Apparently so
    2) What are you allergic to? I don't know (never had any tests)
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? Young, I don't remember, but I didn't have them for a good long while, and now they're back
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) - front of my face, above my mouth, around my nose, pretty much anywhere
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? both
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? I dont think so
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) dust I'm sure
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? no
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? yes - sinusitis, ummm zpack
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? a little, umm allegra-d
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? flonase
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? not sure
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? sometimes
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? too damn many
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? not usually
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? no, same
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? no, depends
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? I *was* generally healthy...
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? I just get headaches sometimes I wouldn't consider them attacks
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? changes, a lot of the time its when I wake up
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? sitting
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? tylenol
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) no

Old 11-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I've noticed that many of us have one thing in common and that is allergies. At first, I really dismissed allergies as a cause, because nothing was itchy... but the more I researched, the more I realized that maybe my the pressure in my sinuses were caused by allergens.
    My ENT looked in my nasal cavities and they were swollen. Since I've been seriously treating my problem as an allergy, I honestly feel better. The symptoms are slowly lessening. First, I've been religious about staying on my allergy medicine (Allegra) around the clock. Then, I started using my air purifier regularly to rid my room of the common allergens (dust / dust mites / dander), and I do feel less pressure now. (I also take Flonase nasal spray) My next step is to get the air ducts cleaned in my home. Someone told me about their neighbor that had terrible sinus problems... she moved out of the house, and the following owner had sinus problems. They cleaned out the air ducts thoroughly and she greatly improved. So, I'll try it since, our ducts in this 30 yerar old house have never been cleaned. I also ordered a better air purifier to cover 2500 SQ FT and will rid most of the airborne allergens in the house. The last step is to replace the old carpet. I really think my environment plays a big part, since it wasn't until I moved into this house, that I got sinus problems. Wish me luck.
    And I'll let you know what happens.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
    deedee15

deedee15 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Sinus pressure sufferers - SURVEY - please participate.

1) Do you have allergies? YES, I TOOK SHOTS 18 YRS
    2) What are you allergic to?I WAS ALLERGIC TO MOLD, DUST, FEATHERS, ORRIS ROOT, KAPOK. NOW MY ALLERGIST SAYS I'M CURED BUT HAVE VASOMOTOR RHINITIS. WHICH I DON'T BELIEVE.
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started?YEARS AGO I WAS 31. NOW ITS BACK FULL FORCE AND WORSE. I CAN'T EVEN WORK. ITS BEEN FOUR MONTHS
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc)EARS NOSE BACK OF HEAD EYES NECK
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both?EXCRUCIATING PRESSURE THAT HAS ME DIZZY 24 HRS. I ALSO HAVE FLUID IN MY EARS
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems?NO
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) NO DOG BUT EVERYTHING ELSE
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful?MY MOTHER PASSED AWAY 16 MONTHS AGO. MY BROTHER AND I ARE ESTRANGED
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?NO I HAVE BEEN ON AMOXACILLIN TWICE AND NOW ON CECLOR
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one?NO THEY MAKE ME MORE DIZZY
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?I HAVE BEEN ADDICTED TO NEOSYNEPRINE FOR FOUR MONTHS IN ORDER TO WORK. I QUIT THREE DAYS AGO AND AM GOING CRAZY WITH HEADACHE HORRIBLE PRESSURE AND DIZZINESS
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes?WET AND HUMID IS ALWAYS BAD
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem?NO
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday?MINIMAL
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck?YES
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck?TENSION FROM THE BALANCE PROBLEM
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems?I HAVE HAD SEVERE INSOMNIA AND AM TAKING XANAX AT NIGHT TO SLEEP
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot?YES!
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy?HEALTHY
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last?NOT LONG BUT THIS HAS BEEN FOUR MONTHS
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses?MORNING
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down?STANDING
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible?SOMETIMES
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms?NOTHING, I AM SO MISERABLE AND SCARED.
    I HAD A INFECTED TOOTH AND ROOT CANAL RIGHT BEFORE THIS HAPPENED

Old 10-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
    Gab2000
    (female)

Gab2000 HB User

1) Do you have allergies? YES
    2) What are you allergic to? MOLD, DUST, OLD BOOKS, PERFUMES, ALL SCENTS, CATS, DOGS
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? TEENAGER
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) NOSE, EARS, EYES, TOP OF HEAD
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? BOTH
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? I HAVE MOVED MANY TIMES... DON'T KNOW
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) DON'T KNOW
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? GOT MARRIED
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? YES, WHEN i HAVE AN INFECTION....
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? NO.. I'VE TAKEN ALLEGRA, CLARITIN, ZYRTEC... NONE OF THEM WORK
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? SORT OF
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? YES
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? NO
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 11 HOURS
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? SOMTIMES
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? YES
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? YES, I SUFFER FROM ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? HEALTHY... BUT I HAVE IBS
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? NOW IT'S CHRONIC
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? ALL DAY
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? YES
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? YES
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? NOTHING
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) NOPE

Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User

Hello Deedee15,

It's been a while since I put up this survey. At the time, I was absolutely miserable with sinus problems. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 10.
    Coming from the fact that I never experienced anything like it before, it came out of nowhere. For several months now, my sinus problems have been under control. After having visits to an ENT, having an MRI, taking nasal sprays, etc, nothing seemed to really help. The ENT did find that my nasal sinus passages were inflamed. Finally, someone on another site, put me on the path in the right direction. Basically, he told me that my system had just came to the point where it could not fight back all the allergens. I had recently moved into a allergen filled home and had gone through a high-stress point in my life. That combination was probably what did it for me. After coming to that realization, I approached my problem as an allergy problem. I cleaned my environment to the best of my abilities. I bought a reputable air purifier, a new state-of-the-art vacuum cleaner (which filters dust, etc) and cleaned the house from top to bottom. My symptoms did not disappear overnight, but slowly I could feel myself healing. I'd say within 4 months, I started feeling near normal again. I don't know if this is a cure to your problems, but it was to mine. Believe me, I was miserable to the point of depression. My insurance did non cover allergy problems, so I did not see an allergist. So, basically, I tackled this on my own, and I feel that I won. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #13
    linedoz
    (female)

linedoz HB User

1) Do you have allergies? yes
    2) What are you allergic to? seasonal allergies, dust, certain fruits apples, peaches
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? 4 years ago
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) yes
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? both
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? no
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) maybe dust and I work in research center
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? no
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? no
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? no
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one? Flonase but after 1 year it's not work and now taking Nasonex helps a little
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? yes
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? I don't think so
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? 7-9 hrs
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? yes
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck? probably the computer and teeth clenching
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? since I am sleeping with a mouth peace it is better
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? yes
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? generally ok
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? 2-3 hours sometime a few times a day other days it's less
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? yes
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? no
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? sinus spray
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) no
    26) My sinus pressure is worse after eating

I've been having these symptoms since 4 years. I went to see 3 ENT, Sinus scan and head scan, X-rays, many blood test, thyroid gland specialist, gastro specialist, acupuncter treatment, chiro treatment, even saw a dentist and passed 3 sleep tests. During the sleep test they saw I was clenching my teeth. Since I am sleeping with a mouth peace my sleep is much better and I do not wake-up anymore with sinus headaches. An sinus inflammation was detected by my ENT specialist after I saw him a 2 times and suffering about 2 years with dizziness, sinus pain etc. He gave me some Flonase it works for about 1 years but a few weeks ago it's started again I am discouraged. I a few weeks I will see a Allergy specialist maybe I am allergic to something new?

Last edited by linedoz; 10-27-2004 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added a line

Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #14
    cheechamia

cheechamia HB User

2) What are you allergic to? Not sure...never tested for specifics
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? mid 20's
    4) Where are your sinus pains? above and below right eye, cheekbones
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure? both
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? no
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) yes
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); moved
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? yes
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? claritan and deconamine
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? yes - flonase
    12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? YES
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? Sometimes
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? a few hours
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? sometimes
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck? computer
    17) Do you sleep well normally? sometimes. How do you sleep since the sinus problems? ok..but sometimes wake up during the night.
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? sometimes
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? since moving here...mostly sick otherwise was healthy.
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? Right before a weather change...can last couple days to a week.
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses? night time
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? both
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? sometimes
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? hot compresses and meds.
    root canal about 10 years ago.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hmm I guess I'll play...

1) Do you have allergies? YEs...
    2) What are you allergic to? Don't know for sure never had skin tests or anything
    3) How old were you when your sinus problems started? Had them all my life
    4) Where are your sinus pains? (ears, nose, eyes, top of head, neck, etc) All of the above...
    5) Do you experience pain or pressure... or both? Both mostly pressure
    6) Did you change your physical environment, prior to the onset of your sinus problems? No but when I did move to where I'm at now they worsened
    7) Does your current environment have obvious allergens? (dust, dust mites, mold, dogs, cats, etc) YES
    8) Has there been significant changes in your life, prior to the onset of the sinus problem? (divorce, job change, moved, exercise routine change, change in your work station (ergonomic factors), activities); I am just wondering if muscle tension, may be a factor, since there's a slight chance that bad ergonomics may have played a role in mine... doubtful? I think so...
    9) Has antibiotics worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? No not really only for brief periods of time...
    10) Has allergy medicines worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? which one? I only can take 12 hr sudafed, they work great and benedryls at night but that only stops sneezing and eye itching
    11) Has nasal spray worked for you to alleviate sinus problem? Which one?NO...12) Does your sinus problems seem worse when weather changes? Oh yeah, especially in the summer and winter months
    13) Did you have a illness, such as a cold or flu prior to onset of sinus problem? No but when I get colds I always get a sinus infection to accompany it...
    14) How many hours do you spend on the computer everyday? A lot probably 3 to 4
    15) Do you suffer from stiff neck? Yeah
    16) What is the cause of your stiff neck? Probably the computer or just tension
    17) Do you sleep well normally? How do you sleep since the sinus problems? Not a good sleeper, sometimes have insomnia and am a light sleeper
    18) Do you consider yourself easily stressed? Worry a lot? YES to both
    19) Do you often suffer from illness, in general... or are you generally, healthy? Often get sick...in general
    20) Generally, when you have a sinus "attack", how long does it last? Until it becomes an full blown infection even with OTC meds and vitamin B supplements
    21) What time of day are your sinus symptoms the worse? worse as day progreses?
    22) Do you feel the pressure on your head worse, when standing or laying down? Laying down and in the morning and then late at night. Mostly morning is the worse...
    23) If your pressure is by your ears, is it audible? Yes, they pop all the time when I swallow, they've done this since my ear drum ruptured over 1 year ago
    24) What has helped you the most to alleviate the symptoms? Just the few weeks after a good antibiotic and if I take sudafed 12 hr daily OR when I was on Zyrtec...
    25) Have you had any major dental work recently? (bridges, root canal, etc?) Not recently but I did have my 2 wisdoms out and I get cavities a lot

Closed Thread