It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinusitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2003, 06:14 AM   #1
    tiggerbengal

tiggerbengal HB User
    Angry sinusitis

Hello,
    I am hoping to find out if people on here have the same symptoms that I do. For about 6 years I have had a strange situation. When I breathe in thru my nose, I get a bad taste & smell. It is horrible. I cannot describe the smell or taste other than it interferes w/ my life! For years, the doctors did not do anything. I am 27, BTW. Until a few months ago. My primary doctor decided to run a cat scan of my sinuses, and supposedly it was sinusitis. They put my on biaxin, which did not help. SO, I went to see an ENT dr,and she gave me levaquin to take for 3 weeks, which did not help either. This post nasal drip or whatever it is has gotten much worse over the last month or so. It used to be where if I had it, I could go to sleep and when I'd wake up, it would be gone. Well, this stuff is staying with me for days at a time.
    I am wondering if it is a fungal type of sinusitis, since no antibiotics have worked for me.
    I have bad breath when this occurs too, and it feels like there is a big ball of snot in my throat.
    Has anyone had this, and what haveyour doctors done for you?
    Thanks,

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Arrow

Kim,
    I have chronic sinus problems that have been with me for years. I also think it is a fungal problem since it has not responded to standard treatments. I posted a Topic about Tests done at the Mayo Clinic that says "96% of chronic sinusitis is cause by fungi"---- They found 40 different Fungi in 202 patients. That was in 1999. I hope some company has done some development on a treatment and cure???

I have printed out the the Mayo article and taken it to my ENT Doc but he's out of town for the next 3 weeks.

Have you heard of using collidal silver as a nose spray that contains 20 parts per million silver??? I found it use to be used prior to antibiotics but was discontinued but is still being marketed online. I would buy some but don't know what is a safe level that would kill the fungi???

I am trying to find out about any NEW treatment that will work--- Where I live alot of people have sinus problems -- it's a warm/ hot, humid/ moist, moldy --- place where fungus probably grows well.

Don't have any answers right now but I'll keep digging.

I wish you well---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 07-28-2003).]

Old 07-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
    tiggerbengal

tiggerbengal HB User
    Hi Harry,
    do u get a bad smell/taste, too? Its horrible Sometimes it makes me nauseous. Hopefuuly this second ENT dr. will be able to find something to help. Allegra-D & Zyrtec dont help either.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #4
    Peter1266

Peter1266 HB User
    hi tiggerbengal

I have the same problem. I have this for about 9 months and I cant stand it. I got this when I got the Flu at the time, my doctor just gave me penicillin. I got better but then I still couldnt breathe with both nostrils and I would have this bad taste in the back of my throat. At first, I was to embarrassed to tell him that but then I did and he told me to check with the dentist. My dentist told me my teeth are good and your bad breath might be cause by something else. At that time I had no idea that my bad taste was because of my sinus problem. so im going to my ENT tomorrow and find out my result of my X-ray. I still havent taken leavquin.

If no medication is working then I would think the problem is fungal. To make sure, ask your ENT Doc.
    tell me your symptoms. I have trouble breathing with both nostrils, bad taste in the mouth, sometimes fatigue and headaches, and runny nose.

I hope I helped a bit. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
    tiggerbengal

tiggerbengal HB User
    hi peter,
    Ya, I guess you could say I feel tired, but I thought maybe it was because sometimes I dont sleep good or it's been rough at work. I do get headaches. If I put pinch on my nose, there is pressure. I called my primary doctor and asked her if she thought perhaps it could be fungal, but she doesnt seem to thing that because I am on lamisil for a fungus under my big toenail. According to her, lamisil kills any fungus in the body. I read up on lamisil, and is says nothing about other fungal infections; only that it treats nails.
    So, I do think there is a fungus in my nose, or something. All I know is I have had this off and on for 6 years. My husband and I have cats, but I dont believe it has to do with them, because his parents had one before we were married, and this nasty crap in my throat never was present then.
    I go see a 2nd ENT on 8/18.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
    GERDgirl

GERDgirl HB User
    I have the bad taste and I think it affects my breath too sometimes. I've read if you have congestion, post-nasal drip, they can cause bad breath. Also GERD can cause it I think. Even if you weren't allergic to your cat years ago, do you think you could be now? I've been told you can develop allergies you didn't have as a child. My dad was never allergic to bees until a few years ago. (I don't know though for sure. Anyone?) Look up bad breath from GERD on the internet. I think there's a company that makes special drops and gum for this. If I have time I'll try to find the site.
    -Karen

Old 08-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
    tiggerbengal

tiggerbengal HB User
    what is gerd? is that the acid-reflux disease?
    As for cats, I dont think i am allergic to them. I dont have itchy, watery eyes, or the sneezing. How do u get rid of that bad taste? I've tried everything from drinking plenty of water, chewing gum, and using listerine & other mouth washes, and it will NOT go away It makes me nauseous, too. When I do have it, I dont want to eat, either because it affects my smell, which then makes things even worse. The only other thing that I can relate this to is being on depo provera (b/c shot). I quit taking it back in January, but it started around the same time. I've read things about how the depo could mess with your sinuses.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
    GERDgirl

GERDgirl HB User
    I've read gum and mints don't help bad breath.

Yes, GERD is acid reflux and it can cause bad breath.

I'm getting tested for allergies next week and I don't have the runny nose or watery eyes, just coughing and stuffiness (which may be GERD related, but I want to rule it out, so I don't waste money on meds.)

Also, I've read dentists can test your bad breath and they might have solutions too.

Good luck,

Karen

[This message has been edited by kitaki (edited 08-06-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
    susiejb

susiejb HB User
    Look at the post titled sinus/allergy probs. The respondent talks about sinus irrigation, which sounds gross, but interesting. I looked it up on a couple websites, and it will not only cure sinus probs and allergies, but also bad breath caused by sinus probs. Worth looking into. Good luck!

------------------
    Susie

Old 01-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #10
    northwoodsguy

northwoodsguy HB User
    Re: sinusitis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susiejb
    Look at the post titled sinus/allergy probs. The respondent talks about sinus irrigation, which sounds gross, but interesting. I looked it up on a couple websites, and it will not only cure sinus probs and allergies, but also bad breath caused by sinus probs. Worth looking into. Good luck!

------------------
    Susie
    You guys may want to try Sinoflow nasal spray (Cetylpyridinium chloride is the active ingredient) since it kills mold as well as bacteria. [removed] is the website and you can find the product at Walgreens. Good luck...

Last edited by moderator2; 01-16-2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you. Not allowed to post commercial websites.

Old 01-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
    tiggerbengal

tiggerbengal HB User

I saw my ENT for another followup on Tuesday night. He said my nose is healing nicely following the surgery. I told him though I'm still having the smell/taste problem. He told me it can take 6-12 months to fully heal. He put the scope up my nose, and he didnt see any fungus. So, he gave me a prescription for Astelin and Rhinocort. I've been "blasting" my nose away with Astelin twice a day since Wednesday. Im trying to be patient, really I am. He said I can back off the irrigation, but if I want to continue he is all for it. When I saw him in December, he did give a sample of Rhinocort to take, but I didnt take it consistently. I got a nice talk about that one
    Oh, one more thing. He mentioned something about nasal polyps and how the folicles aren't pushing the mucous away, so that's why he wants me to do the astelin and rhinocort.

Last edited by tiggerbengal; 01-18-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #12
    cassle

cassle HB User

I have chronic sinusitus for about 6 years now.
    It all started when I was 15, one day I felt a throbbing in the upper gum near my tooth, it turned out to be inflammed, so I had to go get an xray and they found a tooth stuck in my sinus! The throbbing I felt was actually another tooth, right below it, trying to go down but the space wasnt' big enough for it. So I had surgery to get that tooth removed from the sinus, then braces to get the other tooth down. After that i've had sinusitis. It didnt' start immediately, i'm not exactly sure when it did.
    But I have just begun to get serious about it and I bought a vaporizer and saline sprays.

The sinusitus I have just clogs up my throat, I get a lot of mucus there, which is incredibly annoying sometimes..especially when I try to sleep. It doesn't effect my nasal pasages much though, I don't get clogged up there..just tons of drainage. And of course the area that I live in is pretty humid so it makes it worse with the weather.
    The spot where they removed the tooth from is where I have the problem of course, and If i press that spot I feel something there..fluid or I dont know what, but i feel pressure, and I ALWAYS feel that if i push on that spot. It's not painful though. It also seems like when I press in that spot, I will get mucus drainage going down my throat at that moment. It's quite annoying having so much drainage, because it causes me to swallow a lot, and I swallow air that causes me to burp a lot too..especially at night, not much during the day luckily. It's REALLY annoying to have to constantly sit up in bed to burp!
    I never went to a doctor yet about this, so i'm not sure exactly what's in my sinus.

Anyone experience something similar? Or similar symptoms? I also seen an ad for collodial silver on this website, did anyone try it? Does it work?

Last edited by Fflewddar; 01-19-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Closed Thread