It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Help with sinus infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Post Help with sinus infection

I have nasal allergies all summer long, and once fall gets here, I start feeling better. We moved this summer, and my whole family developed what we thought was a virus, a cough, sore throat etc. I didn't get sick untill my husband and son were almost over theirs. I got a sore throat, cough, fever, chills, sinus headaches, clogged sinuses, pressure etc. This went on for weeks untill I figured I must have a sinus infection. I went to the docto who told me my sinuses were very inflamed and put me on an antibiotic and told me to get Sudafed or Claritin D to help drain my sinuses. I have one antibiotic left and am only half way better, this was a 10 day supply. Before I forget, I am wondering if what we are working on in the house may have caused this and if so, what can I do about it. This problem started with my family while working on sanding the drywall in the basement. My son and husband spend every day out of the house, I work out of our home and am the only one still having problems. Also, it is cold outside now and we have to use our furnace alot. If anybody has some ideas or solutions to help me combat this i would really appreciate it. I also am not sure how to handle working on the house and the cleanup since the drywall must be blowing all over when the furnace comes on. Of course we vacume and sweep and mop but i need to know how to help clear my sinuses and this infection. I have to go back to the doctor, yet hate to live on meds if there is better more natural way to help myself. I have been sick for a month and am tired of feeling this way. Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
    lhacker
    (male)

lhacker HB User
    maybe sick house syndrom. Do you get any relief going outdoors?

Chemical sensativities are much different from allergies. Most doctors seem to have a limited knowledge of these problems. I had a terrible time during the 1st 9 months of this years with what seemed to be a basketball stuffed up my nose! terrible headaches - only in my home. Outdoors I was fine. I know I have a sensativity to the newspaper with sneezing and drippy nose beggining when I open it in the morning. I stopped the newspaper. The end of August I found an open bag of the smells of Christmas from Aromatique that my wife had been given, put under a table with a skirt and forgotten. Immediately upon removing that, the headaches stopped. but the congestion remains. We have been airing the house out for a month and it seems to be getting better.

From what I have been able to find out, chemical sensativities cause a different hemoglobin to release histamines than those causing allergies so most allergy medicines have limited results. Best to isolate the problem.

You may have multiple Chemical Sensativities to organic volatile chemicals. I am taking 500mg of Scorbic acid - vitamin C - with every meal, this is also supposed to get my immune system desensatized.

Do an internet search for sick house sysdrom and check out the EPAs web site for Chemical Sensativities. It might help you.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Thankyou for your reply. What you say makes perfect sense. I have had chemical sensitivities for years, in fact, the drywall in another house is actually what brought them on. The symptoms with this infection are different this time. I normally can recognize when it is my sensitivity that is the problem because I have very different symptoms. I do believe though, that our work on the house is aggravating my condition, and probably brought it on. I don't feel any different when I leave the house, but it has turned into an infection, so that also makes sense. I need to find a way to redo our home and live in it too. I will do some research and see if I can find a way to do this without being sick! Thankyou!

Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    Nasal irrigation is the approach I use with awesome results. This will clean out the duct from the sheetrock and whatever else is up there. Should clear up your infection too.
    I use 2 cups of warm filtered water with 1/2 tsp of noniodized sea salt & 1/4 tsp of freesh baking soda. I use nasaline.
    I no longer take any meds and control all my allergies this way, it is a life changer.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
    lhacker
    (male)

lhacker HB User
    dear n7ynk. I tried that nasal irrigation, Sinofresh and others, when irritated anything I sprayed, sniffed or squirted up my nose just brought more misery.

With one exception ... Oxymetazoline HCL .005 would give me almost instant relief, as long as I didn't use it more than once or twice a week. Even blowing my nose hard would further irritant the membranes when swollen.

I did find that a couple of drops of plain old Visine eye drops would give me some relief.

------------------

Old 10-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gifI could see how sniffing squirting or spraying would not do it. To be effective, you must irrigate by moving a flow of salt water from one side of the nostril to the other, in my case 60 CCs of fluid. Then, I do it 3 times on each side. So, 2 cups of water is going thru the nostrils....that is where the magic is. Anything else just doesn't get the gunk out.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    n7ynk, How and where do I get the instructions and supplies to do nasal irrigation? I have no idea how to do it. This sounds like it would help me. Thankyou

Old 10-03-2003, 08:42 AM   #8
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    Nsaline. Search the internet. Around $20. There are alot of irrigating products out there, I just happen to use this one. They have video's online that show the process too. Helpful.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:42 AM   #9
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    Opps. Nasaline.

Closed Thread