It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• what to take for sinus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
    charley98

charley98 HB User
    Question what to take for sinus?

hello i am in some real need of some help for this pain. I have constant pain across my forehead and above my eyes. Is that sinus pressure? My nose barely runs and is usually stuffy. What is good to take for this? Someone told me sudafed is good but I heard that it can make your blood pressure go up so i dont want to take any of that. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
    shay501

shay501 HB User
    Re: what to take for sinus?

hi charley. your symptoms do sound like sinus pressure. sudafed does work really well and if you don't have any problems w/high blood pressure now you should be okay. but if you do then yeah you should be careful. the only other thing i can remember right now for sinus problems is steaming to loosen up the mucous. hmm... just remembered.... a friend of my mom's recommended a mix of water and salt yesterday for her sinus.... she hasn't tried it yet and she said she wouldn't! sounds like it could be uncomfortable..... anyway, i don't know what the exact measurements would be of both but you're supposed to let it drain into your sinus cavity through the nostrils and that's supposed to help the stuffiness.. maybe someone else has tried this method and they might be able to tell you more about it.... hope you feel better! i know how painful sinus headaches can be.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
    MistyMisty

MistyMisty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shay501
    hi charley. your symptoms do sound like sinus pressure. sudafed does work really well and if you don't have any problems w/high blood pressure now you should be okay. but if you do then yeah you should be careful. the only other thing i can remember right now for sinus problems is steaming to loosen up the mucous. hmm... just remembered.... a friend of my mom's recommended a mix of water and salt yesterday for her sinus.... she hasn't tried it yet and she said she wouldn't! sounds like it could be uncomfortable..... anyway, i don't know what the exact measurements would be of both but you're supposed to let it drain into your sinus cavity through the nostrils and that's supposed to help the stuffiness.. maybe someone else has tried this method and they might be able to tell you more about it.... hope you feel better! i know how painful sinus headaches can be.

Hi, You could try Clarinex, a prescription is needed from your primary doctor. It has given me very good relief in a matter of days. I also use an ultrasonic humidifier by my bed at night. Distilled water is the best to use, but it needs to be cleaned every day to prevent bacteria being spread into the air. Sometimes antibiotics are necessary to clear up an infection. Sinus infections need to be treated as it can spread to the brain, sorry to say. If you DON'T have a temperature, dizzyness, or nausea you probably have year round allergies. The Clarinex or over the counter Claratin will work well. There should be some humidity in your home which helps the sinuses. Dust mites and carpet mites are two things that bring on sinus headaches and stuffiness. I use a vacuume cleaner that has a good filter in it and put my bedding and pillows in the dryer for twenty minutes to get rid of those bugs once a week.
    Clarinex or Claritin does not cause drowsiness or cause your blood pressure to go up as some of the other OTC drugs do. I hope this helps. MistyMisty

Last edited by MistyMisty; 12-13-2003 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added more info about Clarinex.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
    Laney00
    (female)

Laney00 HB User

I have tried the salt water thing you mentioned! I heard of it a long time ago from Carol Burnett, she said it worked for her, so I believed her and tried it. It is the most bizzarre thing to try, but it does give some relief. For me it only would provide temporary relief, but it is worth a try! I don't think it matters the quantity and such just try a 1/4 -1/2 tsp / glass of water and suck it into your nose, and it will end up in your throat!
    If you do try it, let me know how it goes.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:53 AM   #5
    susieq03

susieq03 HB User

Hi Charlie, I have had 3 sinus surguries, so want to give you a few tips. The salt water is the best way to get rid of bacteria, but the best way to get it up and into the sinuses is with a baby syringe. The kind that moms use I think for sucking out babies noses when they have a cold. Use warm salt water and tilt your'e head back and squirt. Do this a couple of times a day. Hopefully, this will help. Like another poster said, you might need antibiotics to kill the sinus infection. Take care,SusieQ

Closed Thread