It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus deviated septum Surgery? Risks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    Sinus deviated septum Surgery? Risks?

Hello

I had surgery 2 years ago to correct a deviated septum, now a CAT scan show it is still deviated, I can't breathe! My turbinutes are inflammed.

My new surgeon says there is NO cutting the nose open for this one to straighten it out, and nose packing for only one day, has anyone had this type of proceedure, straightening doen inside the nose only? Is there a breathing tube for your mouth? Does your nose and eyes sweall up? Do you have freaquent nose bleads after? thats what happend to me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #2
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    Re: Sinus deviated septum Surgery? Risks?

Please, please PLEASE don't have this surgery without doing a lot of research. I made the mistake of having it done in July and it hasn't helped me at all. I will tell you about my experience, if you care to know.

I get constant headaches, plugged up ears, irritated eyes and nose, stuffy nose (can hardly breath most of the time), constant poast nasal drip, could go on and on.... I went to the ENT after seeing several doctors who kept telling me I had a sinus infection and giving me different antibiotics. The ENT took an x-ray and CT scan--found there was nothing wrong with my sinuses. He told me I had a deviated septum and the only way to make it better was the surgery. He said almost everyone who has the surgery has instant relief. So I decided to have the surgery.

I think I had the same one that you are describing. They only cut my nose open on the inside of my nostril and it was packed for a day (with splints in for a week). It was under general anesthesia, so yes there was a tube down my throat. My nose and eyes did not swell up, I didn't even get any bruises. That's not saying it was plesant though. I did not get nose bleeds afterward, although I am now I think because of the dry air.

So now I am all healed up, but definetly NOT better. I recently got tested for allergies and found I don't have any. But I do have a condition called vasomotor rhinitis (there is a post about it in the allergies board), which basically means your nose gets stuffy all the time and there's nothing you can do about it. So really there is no way the surgery could have fixed my problem. But the ENT was so eager to make a couple bucks that he suggested surgery as the first option (and my dumb self agreed to it). So now I have a couple thousnad in medical bills, and I still can't breathe.

It is because of this that I think you should do some research and maybe get a second opinion. I have met a lot of poeple who have had this srugery and are not happy with the results. I wish I would have met them before I had it. So I hope this is helpful to you. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them. Good luck!!

Old 12-10-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    Re: Sinus deviated septum Surgery? Risks?

Wow that sounds horrible, sounds like I have a lot more questions to ask before going into this. Thanks for your reply

Closed Thread