HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Chronic Sinusitis ??? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/13843-chronic-sinusitis.html)

Harry 08-02-2003 10:46 AM

Chronic Sinusitis ???

I recently read a study that was done at the Mayo Clinic in 1999 that implicates Fungus as a major cause of chronic sinusitis infections.

The researchers studied 210 people with chronic sinusitis. They identified 40 different fungi. From cancida to penicillium !!!

Bacteria infections also cause alot of people to have sinusitis but for those that don't respond to the normal treatments with regular Doctors, ND, Homeopathy, Herbal medicine---- The problem may be caused by Fungus???

Does anyone know of a treatment for fungus induced sinusitis?

The Mayo study was done in 1999 and I haven't been able to find any follow-up study or treatment. If you want to read the article click on: [url="http://www.mayo.***/comm/mcr/news_773.html"]http://www.mayo.***/comm/mcr/news_773.html[/url]

I live in a humid, moldy / mildew, sorta hot place at times and have had sinusitis for years. I am looking for a solution or treatment??

Thanks---Harry

yoopergirl 08-02-2003 01:03 PM

Do you use a neti pot? or irrigate?

Sarah68 08-06-2003 04:05 AM

Harry,

Have you tried homeopathy to help this? If not, then I would suggest that you go and see a homeopath who may be able to help you.

Also, have you heard of exciting and maintaining causes? These are philosophical homeopathic concepts. Basically, if you live in an environment that has a lot of mould, this could well have been the exciting cause for your sinusitis/allergies. A homeopathic remedy will help, but can only go so far and if you are still living in the same surroundings it can only go so far and no further until you move out of the environment in which you are living that is your maintaining cause.

Basically, you need to try and move away from living near to your mould producing environment which is in fact causing your sinusitis. In tis way, you are moving away from your maintaining cause and any homeopathic remedy will be able to work better.

Good luck

Harry 08-14-2003 10:38 AM

Thanks for the messages. I have tried irrigation but it's only temporary?? I don't know about neti pots!!!

Sarah,
I don't think you have lived in a hot really humid / damp area. The humidity here runs 95+% most nights. Most mornings the grass, drive ways, my cars and house is soaking wet. It is common to have a temp of 90 with a heat index of 100 duing the day.

The concrete driveways as well as sidewalks have mildew on them ---- mostly those that are shaded. A shingle roof that is newly replaced may be a nicely clean white but will turn almost black in 5 years or less because of mold/ mildew if shaded at least half the day.
The inside of my house is of course is air conditioned and dehumidified so it is basically mold free.

I have used homeopathic remedies. But, I thought you may know more about Drainage remedies. Or remedies that kill fungi.

Did you read the article that list the 40 different fungi that was cultured??? Very interesting

I have seen online a nasal spray that contains Colloidal Silver. Since it kills bacteria and viruses, I thought it maybe would do in Fungus also??? What do you think?

Thanks---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 08-14-2003).]

mollygoose 08-20-2003 08:00 AM

tea tree oil may help. i use inhalation therapy. put 3-4 drops in bowl of hot water. place head over bowl with a towel tent over head. you can add couple drops of peppermint oil for smell. i would suggest you try drop of oils on inside of elbow to test for reaction prior to using. tea tree is anti-fungal and disinfecting. i use maybe 2-3 time a day if i feel sinus problems coming on. i have even used directly on cheeks. have had lot fewer sinus infections with this method. tea tree also kills toe nail fungus. there is lot of info on net about tea tree oil. i buy it at my local pharmacy. our largest grocery store even carries it. good luck.

KIDINSANITY 08-24-2003 07:32 PM

Hi Harry, I had the same problem (fungus.) I had comstant sinus infections all my life, and finally was referred to my ENT. To make a long story shot, they found both fungus and Pseudomonas growing wild in my sinuses. They said it was a "mature growth" which was explained that it had been there for a long time. Due to some structural problems within my nose, and having to have polyps removed also, I've had 4 surgeries in 18 months. I then did "nebulized antibiotics and steroids" through a nebulizer directly into the sinuses. I haven't had a sinus infection in 6 months......about 5 1/2 months longer than before.
If you go under the allergies/sinus thread, you'll see more information.
Sue

Sarah68 08-25-2003 02:23 AM

Hey, did you read the title of this board before you posted? It says Alternative Medicine. This means that people on these boards are not interested in using either antibiotics or steroids. There is nothing natural about steroids or antibiotics.

If you have something alternative to offer then go ahead.

Sarah68 08-25-2003 05:19 AM

Harry,

I did find recently that I had a book on my shelves about Organ Drainage. I think the concept of organ drainage was introduced by the European homeopaths, possibly the French. Whilst reading the book, I did suddenly realise however, that it is the same thing as I was taught, only under another name. I was taught this originally as Organ Support remedies in low doses, although this is not really a classical homeopathic concept.

Basically, the support remedy for the mucous membranes that is good to help the sinuses is HYDRASTIS. Support/Drainage remedies are normally taken in a low potency such as a 3x and is taken about 2 to 3 times daily. It should only be taken for fairly short periods though, probably for no longer than 2 to 3 weeks and certainly no longer than a month.

Support remedies should always be taken either in conjunction with or followed up by a good constitutional remedy. By doing this, you will get a better response to the constitutional remedy, as hopefully, the support remedy has helped.

I don't know how much you know about the concept of Miasms in homeopathy ? Anyway, Hahnemann's 'big three' were PSORA, SYCOSIS AND SYPHILLIS and put simply, this is the basis for inherited diseases, so if a well chosen constitutional remedy is not working or not holding, then you need to go back and see what is going on Miasmatically. If there is a Miasmatic block, then you need to give a dose of the appropriate NOSODE remedy. By doing this, the next time you give a dose of the constitutional remedy, it should either be curative or at least hold for longer.

From your posts about your previous problems, I would get the impression that are probably mostly PSORIC/SYCOTIC, with a little bit of SYPHYLLIS there too. The Psoric state would cover a lot of previous stomach problems, however, in your case now, you need to look at the miasm that is causing the problems at this particular moment in time and that is 'active' now, as it is causing you problems. I would say that as you have this chronic sinusitis, then your Sycotic miasm is active. The Sycotic miasm is to do with overproduction and anything to do with the sinuses is to do with overproduction of mucous.

The nosode remedy for the Sycotic miasm is MEDORRHINUM and this could be considered as a treatment to try to clear the miasm. Normally, a 30c would be sufficient. In the Materia Medica, Medhorrinum covers chronic rhinitis and sinusitis.

Another remedy that could be considered as helpful for sinus problems is KALI-BICH.

I normally use Kent's Repertory, however, I do have a copy of Murphy's Repertory and when I looked under Fungus and then Sinusitis, the remedy that was under both was THUJA. This may be worth a go, but be careful with Thuja, it is a very deep acting remedy. Either a low dose, such as a 6c, or just one 30c may help to clear out things and avoid any potential aggravations.

Lastly, if you want to do a proper detox, then there is a special detox kit available that contains three bottles of tincture, namely Nux Vomica, Berberris and Lymphosat.

You would need to order this via a homeopathic pharmacy though and it should last about three weeks to one month. Basically, the idea is that you get a 500 ml bottle of water and put 10 drops of each tincture in it and shake it up. You then sip this gradually. Basically, you need to aim to be drinking three bottles daily, so 1.5 litres. You can start off low and do one bottle for a few days depending on the effect and then work your way up to two and then three. I have done this myself and it worked very well. If you do a detox such as this it may help to clear out some of the mucous membranes and so give any remedy a better chance to work.

Do you actually know what your constitutional remedy is? It is just that any remedy used as an organ support/drainage or to target something specific, such as the fungus/chronic sinusitis, (Thuja) should always be followed up with a dose of your constitutional remedy at that particular time. Also, you may not necessarily stay one constitutional remedy for life and it can change throughout, so this needs to be assessed at any particular time.

Very lastly. Have you heard of the LM remedies? Well, these are the very gentle liquid remedies that Hahnemann stumbled upon towards the end of his life in the 6th Edition of the Organon. Basically, they are diluted to 1 in 50,000, but are also very powerful and gentle.

I think this kind of remedy may be better for you, when you get around to taking the appropriate constitutional remedy. It avoids aggravations, is taken as a liquid on a daily or twice daily basis and can be better for chronic problems or where a lot of allopathic drugs are being taken or have been taken in the past.

Sorry for the length of this post, but these are just a few of the options that I have thought about.

Hope this helps?

Take care

Sarah

Salvatore954 08-30-2003 08:36 AM

On the simpler side, Nutribiotics makes a grapefruit seed extract nasal spray. GS is antifungal, so you might give that a try.

Sal

Harry 09-02-2003 08:40 AM

I really thank all of you for your inputs. I know we are all different and respond differently.

Harry

kycly 09-12-2003 10:10 PM

Harry, I have sinus problems due to mold. But I've been lucky I haven't had a sinus infection for 2 years.

Harry 09-17-2003 07:52 AM

I persoally don't like the Atkins Diet primarily because you don't get enough fiber and enterly too much protein but it does cut down on your sugars and simple carbs. I do that anyway.

I convined my Internist that my problem with my sinus was related to fungus growth so I used Nystain nose drops and took 10 days of Diflucan a powerful antifungal drug.
I could tell a difference after only 2 days.

Scrub since you live in La, you should what a humid - moldy area can do to breathing problem. Thanks for yor message.

Louise2 09-17-2003 08:05 AM

Where cn I get a copy of the Atkins diet? Sounds good.

Harry 09-17-2003 08:20 AM

Louise,
There are many books written on the Atkins Diet it's been around for 20 years or so but I like Protein Power better.
You should be able to look and buy these books in Australia.

Sarah68 09-17-2003 03:25 PM

You used an antifungal drug for your sinusitis? Well, in homeopathic terms, you have not cured this but have just suppressed it, so do not be at all surprised if it returns to haunt you at a later date.

What happened to that long post regarding homeopathic drainage remedies and remedies that are good for clearing fungal infections such as Thuja? Also, how about taking a dose of Sulphur as a constitutional remedy again?

I hope my post was not totally wasted, although I have a feeling it was as you have just gone and suppressed your symptoms by using an antifungal in the first place.