It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User
    Question Sinus Tachycardia

I was just recently diagnosed with this 2 days ago. Does anyone else have this or know anything about it and how you get it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Re: Sinus Tachycardia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ladybug1241973
    I was just recently diagnosed with this 2 days ago. Does anyone else have this or know anything about it and how you get it?
    It's just a sped up heart rate whose source is from the normal pacemaker of the heart....i.e. the sinus node. It usually happens because the node gets "irritable", and that can be for a number of reasons including: low oxygen levels, electrolyte imbalances, low blood flow, heart disease etc. A lot of the time they never find out why the sinus node does that.

How long have you been having problems with Sinus Tach? Were the symptoms you were getting just palpitations or did you have episodes of fainting and stuff? If it's just something that comes around from time to time, then it's not a big deal...but if you're in permanent sinus tachy, it can degrade to atrial fibrillation, and in hearts that aren't strong, can precipitate congestive heart failure.

Did they put you on any medications?

Old 01-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflytrans
    It's just a sped up heart rate whose source is from the normal pacemaker of the heart....i.e. the sinus node. It usually happens because the node gets "irritable", and that can be for a number of reasons including: low oxygen levels, electrolyte imbalances, low blood flow, heart disease etc. A lot of the time they never find out why the sinus node does that.

How long have you been having problems with Sinus Tach? Were the symptoms you were getting just palpitations or did you have episodes of fainting and stuff? If it's just something that comes around from time to time, then it's not a big deal...but if you're in permanent sinus tachy, it can degrade to atrial fibrillation, and in hearts that aren't strong, can precipitate congestive heart failure.

Did they put you on any medications?
    Hi Butterfly
    I have been on medication for almost a year now for cardiomyopathy. I was trying to wean myself off then I started getting an abnormally fast heart rate w/minimal exertion. It seems to happen about 20 - 30 mins after I eat.I have never passed out,thank God. My cardiologist hooked me right up w/a 24hr holter and they told me 2 days ago that I now have sinus tachycardia,but not to worry it is not serious.Since then I had to increase my meds again back to where they were.So that is all I know until I go in there next week for a MUGA scan.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my post

Old 01-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

No problem!

Why were you trying to "wean yourself" off your heart medications? That's very dangerous you know!!

Old 01-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflytrans
    No problem!

Why were you trying to "wean yourself" off your heart medications? That's very dangerous you know!!
    Because I am only 30 and I really didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. Plus I want to have a baby in the near future. And I am trying so hard to lose weight and can't do that either. It has been very hard for me to accept this,but I am going to try very hard to stop feeling sorry for myself and just accept it. It's just very scary and all the unknowns kill me.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:42 AM   #6
    AnAnglesMother
    Inactive

AnAnglesMother HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ladybug1241973
    Because I am only 30 and I really didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. Plus I want to have a baby in the near future. And I am trying so hard to lose weight and can't do that either. It has been very hard for me to accept this,but I am going to try very hard to stop feeling sorry for myself and just accept it. It's just very scary and all the unknowns kill me.

Dear Ladybug,
    I have read what you have said here and I do feel for you. My 9 year old daughter had a heart attack at the age of 6 from a blood clot and developed SVT (supraventriculartach). If there was anyway they could have treated her with medications, I would have been exstatic. Instead they had to do an ablation. Now she suffers from Mobitz II. A 3rd degree heart block that requires a pace maker. Because they damaged the good part of her sinus node. Your heart condition is enough to have to deal with at your age, please don't make any complications for yourself. If you have a condition treatable with meds, please take them. We have a genetic heart condition in our family, hypotrophiccardiomyopathy. And my father has been able to live a long life because of medications. He is going to be 70 this April. I pray for the best for you, and your family too. It's tough, but hang in there and do what the dr says.

AnAnglesMother

Old 01-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnAnglesMother
    Dear Ladybug,
    I have read what you have said here and I do feel for you. My 9 year old daughter had a heart attack at the age of 6 from a blood clot and developed SVT (supraventriculartach). If there was anyway they could have treated her with medications, I would have been exstatic. Instead they had to do an ablation. Now she suffers from Mobitz II. A 3rd degree heart block that requires a pace maker. Because they damaged the good part of her sinus node. Your heart condition is enough to have to deal with at your age, please don't make any complications for yourself. If you have a condition treatable with meds, please take them. We have a genetic heart condition in our family, hypotrophiccardiomyopathy. And my father has been able to live a long life because of medications. He is going to be 70 this April. I pray for the best for you, and your family too. It's tough, but hang in there and do what the dr says.

AnAnglesMother
    Hi AnAnglesMother
    Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my post.I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I know I have to stop taking everything for granted and be thankful that there are medications I can take and that make such a huge difference in my condition and that I don't need something more drastic. God forbid.It just upsets me because I am only 30 and I do want to have a baby in the near future. I have been doing some research on the internet and there are some meds that can be safe during pregnancy if needed.That makes me feel alot more relieved.
    I also have cardiomyopathy. I was diagnosed this time last year with it.
    They did an echo and my ejection fraction was only 45%. Withen 5 months I had an ejection fraction of 63%. I am so happy for that and I thank God everday. I am going to the cardioligist tomorrow for a repeat MUGA scan to see where it's at now. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again for the kind words.
    I will pray for your daughter.
    God bless her.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
    AnAnglesMother
    Inactive

AnAnglesMother HB User

{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}

I am happy to hear that you are doing better. And I thank you for your prayers. I pray that you hear good news from your cardio appt.

Being only 30 makes things a lot more complicated emotionally, I understand. I was wondering if you ever thought of adoption as an option. There are so many wonderful children that need a loving family. I actually thought of opening up my home to being a foster parent at one point. It was before she became so ill of course.

You sound as if you have a lot of love to share with a child, and that quality is a rare find.

Please keep taking your meds and listen to the doctors. If you feel uncomfortable about some decisions they make, question them. ASK everything so you fear nothing, or at least until your fears are put aside.

Let me know how your appt went and your thoughts. Maybe just talking about things can help you get throught some of your distresses. You have made a cyber friend.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnAnglesMother
    {{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}

I am happy to hear that you are doing better. And I thank you for your prayers. I pray that you hear good news from your cardio appt.

Being only 30 makes things a lot more complicated emotionally, I understand. I was wondering if you ever thought of adoption as an option. There are so many wonderful children that need a loving family. I actually thought of opening up my home to being a foster parent at one point. It was before she became so ill of course.

You sound as if you have a lot of love to share with a child, and that quality is a rare find.

Please keep taking your meds and listen to the doctors. If you feel uncomfortable about some decisions they make, question them. ASK everything so you fear nothing, or at least until your fears are put aside.

Let me know how your appt went and your thoughts. Maybe just talking about things can help you get throught some of your distresses. You have made a cyber friend.
    Oh that is so nice. I am very happy.I enjoy talking to you.You have also made yourself a cyber friend
    Well I got the results back from my MUGA scan. My ejection fraction is now 59%. It's good but it went down which concerns me,but the doctors are telling my that's fine as long as it is above 50 and close to 60 as possible.I don't understand why it went down. The tech told my if I took the test again tomorrow it would probaly be a different number again and that it will vary.I guess as long as it is in normal range it is OK (50%-70%). I am just going to stay on my medications like I am supposed to and hopefully when and if the time comes that I have a baby it will be safe to be on them. As far as adoption goes I have thouhgt of it all. But I am really not ready to give up my dream of having a baby of my own just yet. I have an appointment for a follow up this coming Friday Jan 16 and I will have a lot of questions for him. I will write them all down so I don't forget anything.
    How is your daughter? I hope all is well.
    Talk to you soon.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #10
    mommzee
    (female)

mommzee HB User

Ladybug,

How did your E.F. go up before???did you change your diet?Exercise??
    Modmomm

Old 01-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #11
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by modmomm
    Ladybug,

How did your E.F. go up before???did you change your diet?Exercise??
    Modmomm
    I think maybe exercise had a little to do with it. I was walking everyday 45mins outside,now it is way to cold to do anything. I am joining a gym this week though. But what was a very big help to me was my medication I take Coreg. That is what really saved me.I couldn't have done it otherwise.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #12
    butterflymsh

butterflymsh HB User
    Smile Re: Sinus Tachycardia

Hi, I've had this problem for nearly three years now. I have undergone extensive cardiac work-ups only to be told that it may go away on it's on. My cardiologist gave me two choices (1) Have a precedure done called cardiac ablation (way too scary!!!) or (2) stay on my current med which is Atenolol. I am currently on 50mg daily after weaning down from 150mg and except for the occassional heart flutter, I feel great. Hope this helps :-)

Old 01-12-2004, 02:37 AM   #13
    Ladybug1241973

Ladybug1241973 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflymsh
    Hi, I've had this problem for nearly three years now. I have undergone extensive cardiac work-ups only to be told that it may go away on it's on. My cardiologist gave me two choices (1) Have a precedure done called cardiac ablation (way too scary!!!) or (2) stay on my current med which is Atenolol. I am currently on 50mg daily after weaning down from 150mg and except for the occassional heart flutter, I feel great. Hope this helps :-)
    Hi Butterfly,
    They told you it may go away on it's own? Did they tell you what caused it? I was doing some researching on the web yesterday on that medication Atenolol. Are you having any side effects from it like weight gain? I cannot lose weight no matter what I do on Coreg. Just thought maybe there was a different beta blocker out there with less side effects and that would also be safe during pregnancy.Why did you wean yourself down from 150mg to 50mg?

Old 01-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #14
    rainonwindow

rainonwindow HB User

I like the beta blocker Zebeta. It is cardio-selective so I don't experience the side-effects I did on other beta blockers. I don't know if it is safe for pregnancy or not.

Closed Thread