It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Migraines or Sinus Infection...Again! Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
    caligirl1
    (female)

caligirl1 HB User
    Question Migraines or Sinus Infection...Again! Help!

I am 23 and I have had horrible allergies most of my life. 1 1/2 years ago my husband and I relocated to Virginia from California. I have had several sinus infections since I have been here. For the past 1 1/2 weeks, I have had constant pain near my ears/temples when I wake up in the morning, when I open my mouth it hurts up near my ears, and my ears are extremely clogged. I kept taking my migraine medication (family history of migraines) but it wasn't working. I just went to a neurologist because I was worried and she said it was migraines, so she put me on Topamax to help relieve the migraines, and a new migraine medication, which didn't work. The topamax gave me hot flashes. And I dont want to take that everyday, the drug has a slight risk of kidney stones as well. I woke up again this morning, feel like I have a fever, clogged ears, fluid in throat, pain in ears/temples. How can they tell me this isn't a sinus infection. Plus I am going in for bunion surgery the 16th and would like to get better before then. Any ideas? Do you think this is a sinus infection? Would going back on allergy injections weekly make my chances slimmer of getting these so often?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
    Asenath

Asenath HB User
    Re: Migraines or Sinus Infection...Again! Help!

Sinus infections usually involve a discolored discharge from the nose (green or yellow). Other things to look for are a constant clearing of the throat, and pain in the face (tenderness).

But this does not mean you don't have sinus problems. My doctor told me that once everything gets inflammed (from allergies, a pollutant, etc.), it can feel like a sinus infection that never goes away. The difference is, that my nasal discharge is clear, and I don't have a lot of pain in the face. Nevertheless, I do have headaches, especially behind the ears and on the top of the head.

Do you have nasal congestion? Especially at night? My nose is essentially closed when I wake up -always. It doesn't matter what medication I'm on.

Are you lightheaded or dizzy?

I have a friend who takes Excedrin for migraines, but I think this might cause the sinuses to become more inflammed. Have you tried an antihistamine/decongestant? You can try a nasal spray like Flonase.

Do you have HEPA filters in the house? The pollution in CA is awful -try to clean up your air.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Migraines or Sinus Infection...Again! Help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrgirl
    For the past 1 1/2 weeks, I have had constant pain near my ears/temples when I wake up in the morning, when I open my mouth it hurts up near my ears, and my ears are extremely clogged.
    If your ears are clogged and with pain, it probably means that you have forced some mucus up into your Eustachian Tubes and possibly into your middle ear, by blowing your nose with your mouth closed. It is quite common. It is really bothersome to blow one's nose with the mouth open, but it must be done to avoid forcing mucus up into the Eustachian Tubes, which will just cause one's misery to get worse.

If there is ear pain, it could be coming from the pressure from the mucus, and possibly by infection.

Quote:
    I woke up again this morning, feel like I have a fever, clogged ears, fluid in throat, pain in ears/temples. How can they tell me this isn't a sinus infection. Plus I am going in for bunion surgery the 16th and would like to get better before then. Any ideas? Do you think this is a sinus infection? Would going back on allergy injections weekly make my chances slimmer of getting these so often?
    It sure sounds like an infection to me, and could possibly be in your ears. If it was me, I would be at the doctor's office getting antibiotics.

When you get a chance read my thread: How I fixed my sinus problems. (Updated version of "upside down" irrigation). It won't take care of an ear infection, but it sure keeps me from getting sinus infections.

I am not a doctor, so these views are just my personal opinion.

Take care.

Closed Thread