It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• chronic sinus torture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User
    Arrow chronic sinus torture

Here is my story

Its all started when i got a head cold 1 yr ago. Since then i have been having constant postnasal drip that also includes colored discharge. I have lost over 10lbs and find myself always weak. I went to countless dr visits also antibiotics and i visited 2 ent doctors. I have had 2 ct sinus scans wich came out normal. I was told that i need to take flonase and thats about it. The ent dr seems very confident that i dont have a chronic infection. I am very confused since i have never had sinus conditions in the past.

iI heard about people refraining from eating dairy im not sure if that will help. If you have suggestions or similar expierences please post them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
    Sandson

Sandson HB User
    Re: chronic sinus torture

Quote:
    Originally Posted by david23m
    Here is my story

Its all started when i got a head cold 1 yr ago. Since then i have been having constant postnasal drip that also includes colored discharge. I have lost over 10lbs and find myself always weak. I went to countless dr visits also antibiotics and i visited 2 ent doctors. I have had 2 ct sinus scans wich came out normal. I was told that i need to take flonase and thats about it. The ent dr seems very confident that i dont have a chronic infection. I am very confused since i have never had sinus conditions in the past.

iI heard about people refraining from eating dairy im not sure if that will help. If you have suggestions or similar expierences please post them.
    David:

It looks like you have a chronic sinus condition to me. You may want to check you diet and environment. Also,you should have an allergies test done and this will direct your treatment better. I hope my insight was helpful. Good Luck!

Old 03-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Its all started when i got a head cold 1 yr ago. Since then i have been having constant postnasal drip that also includes colored discharge. I have lost over 10lbs and find myself always weak.
    Sometimes a virus will cause a permanent condition of increased allergies and other reactions to one's environment.

In my case, the colored discharge was caused by the damage and irritation to my sinuses. The colored discharge continued until my sinuses were totally healed.

Quote:
    I went to countless dr visits also antibiotics and i visited 2 ent doctors. I have had 2 ct sinus scans wich came out normal. I was told that i need to take flonase and thats about it. The ent dr seems very confident that i dont have a chronic infection. I am very confused since i have never had sinus conditions in the past.
    The only thing that most ENTs are sure of, is that they will bill your insurance the maximum amount possible. After that, they will forget about you completely and go to the next unfortunate patient in their crowded waiting room.

Quote:
    Many people are allergic to milk. There are many allergens and irritants that can create sinus hell. The best thing to do is try to avoid those foods, chemicals, pollens, pollutants, fumes, that cause sinus or Asthma problems. Other things that can be tried is Acupuncture and Allergy shots.

Besides bacterial infections of the sinuses, which are not always possible to detect, are fungal or viral infections.

What I did to solve my decades old, chronic, awful sinus problems was to flood my sinuses and nasal passages with a mixture of diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt. If you would like to read more about this type of sinus irrigation, and read about others, who have tried this type of irrigation, click on the following link:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210[/url]

Old 03-22-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

David -

Quitting dairy will be very likely to help. In any case, it won't hurt, so try it. Even if it's not the dairy itself causing the problem, it is probably making the symptoms worse.

My roommate had severe sinus problems for about 15 years before she finally believed me that it was dairy. I'd been telling her for years, but since she knew it wasn't an allergy or lactose intolerance, she wouldn't quit milk until she got so sick that I couldn't even remember her being healthy. I think she's been of it maybe 3 years now and has had no sinus trouble.

Here's how the dairy thing works:

It's not an allergy or an intolerance (although a dairy allergy could also cause your symptoms' I'm talking about my roommate's condition, and she isn't allergic). It's normal and healthy for dairy products to cause you to produce more mucous. Mucous is good - it keeps the bad stuff in the environment from getting into your system. The nurse practitioner at my college explained that you shouldn't eat dairy when you have a cold or sinus infection or anything respiratory like that because you are already producing lots of mucous and milk will make you produce way too much and clog stuff up and make you sicker. That was in 1988. Apparently the medical community at large is only just now beginning to accept it, so I guess she was ahead of her time.

The reaction itself is normal. It's the degree of the reaction that's the problem. My roommate gets massive sinus headaches whenever she has milk or ice cream or soft cheese. Hard cheeses like Parmesan aren't as bad. American cheese is out of the question. After she gave up all dairy completely for a couple of years, she found she could go back to having a bit of it. She can't have like a whole glass of milk or anything, but she can eat a cheese omlette or a little ice cream here and there. For some reason, the really high-quality ice creams don't bother her as much - we're still trying to figure out why that is.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User

I have had this most of my life. It is all allergy related. That said, I have had two different allergists refer me to two different ENTs just to be sure. Like you, my xrays and CT scans have been normal. The last ENT I went to was the best one in town. He actually apologized to me that he couldn't do much for me. He did switch me from flonase to rhinocort. They are essentially the same drug but he said that I could take up to three times as much of the rhinocort when I started to have trouble to see if that would keep me out of infection mode. He also told me to triple my frequency of nasal rinsing when I started to have symptoms. That helps, but I have also started using a new allergy drug called Xolair (currently approved only for allergic asthmatics and costs about $3200 per month depending on dosing) which is really helping me a lot.

I would recommend that you get allergy tested. Also, I have given up milk and ice cream and that does help.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reader1
    I have had this most of my life. It is all allergy related. That said, I have had two different allergists refer me to two different ENTs just to be sure. Like you, my xrays and CT scans have been normal. The last ENT I went to was the best one in town. He actually apologized to me that he couldn't do much for me. He did switch me from flonase to rhinocort. They are essentially the same drug but he said that I could take up to three times as much of the rhinocort when I started to have trouble to see if that would keep me out of infection mode. He also told me to triple my frequency of nasal rinsing when I started to have symptoms. That helps, but I have also started using a new allergy drug called Xolair (currently approved only for allergic asthmatics and costs about $3200 per month depending on dosing) which is really helping me a lot.

I would recommend that you get allergy tested. Also, I have given up milk and ice cream and that does help.

Good luck.

Reader1:

I agree 100% with you. Your statement that you made about testing is right on. We are difinitely are on the same page. In your last post you mentioned Xolair, I am definitely going to look into getting it because I am a long time asthmatic with sinus problems.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandson
    Reader1:

I agree 100% with you. Your statement that you made about testing is right on. We are difinitely are on the same page. In your last post you mentioned Xolair, I am definitely going to look into getting it because I am a long time asthmatic with sinus problems.

I've been on Xolair since 10/23 and it really kicked in at the New Year. I have been infection free for almost three months. I had a bad asthma flare the first week the grass started pollenating here. 20mg of pred for a few days, tapering to 10, and increasing my Advair took care of that. I have MUCH less sinus problems since January. My nasal allergy symptoms are probably half what they used to be on a daily basis. I hardly ever get headaches any more. I would recommend any long time allergic asthmatic look into Xolair. back.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:46 AM   #8
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User

has anyone ever lost like ten lbs due to there sinus problems? I did and its freaking me out. I have been tested for everything that causes weight loss and nothing comes up. The only thingi plagueing me is my sinuses. I never heard of weight loss due to chronic sinus infections.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #9
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    has anyone ever lost like ten lbs due to there sinus problems? I did and its freaking me out. I have been tested for everything that causes weight loss and nothing comes up. The only thingi plagueing me is my sinuses. I never heard of weight loss due to chronic sinus infections.
    Dave:

I have had the sinus weight loss blues. The only way to get rid of them is modify your diet and environment. Also, you need to allergy test and find a good allergist.

Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
    a1nerd

a1nerd HB User

How do you keep dairy 100% out of your diet? Almost everything made had egg or milk in the ingredients.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    David -

Quitting dairy will be very likely to help. In any case, it won't hurt, so try it. Even if it's not the dairy itself causing the problem, it is probably making the symptoms worse.

My roommate had severe sinus problems for about 15 years before she finally believed me that it was dairy. I'd been telling her for years, but since she knew it wasn't an allergy or lactose intolerance, she wouldn't quit milk until she got so sick that I couldn't even remember her being healthy. I think she's been of it maybe 3 years now and has had no sinus trouble.

Here's how the dairy thing works:

It's not an allergy or an intolerance (although a dairy allergy could also cause your symptoms' I'm talking about my roommate's condition, and she isn't allergic). It's normal and healthy for dairy products to cause you to produce more mucous. Mucous is good - it keeps the bad stuff in the environment from getting into your system. The nurse practitioner at my college explained that you shouldn't eat dairy when you have a cold or sinus infection or anything respiratory like that because you are already producing lots of mucous and milk will make you produce way too much and clog stuff up and make you sicker. That was in 1988. Apparently the medical community at large is only just now beginning to accept it, so I guess she was ahead of her time.

The reaction itself is normal. It's the degree of the reaction that's the problem. My roommate gets massive sinus headaches whenever she has milk or ice cream or soft cheese. Hard cheeses like Parmesan aren't as bad. American cheese is out of the question. After she gave up all dairy completely for a couple of years, she found she could go back to having a bit of it. She can't have like a whole glass of milk or anything, but she can eat a cheese omlette or a little ice cream here and there. For some reason, the really high-quality ice creams don't bother her as much - we're still trying to figure out why that is.

Closed Thread