It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Need advice on recovering from sinus surgery....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
    Mimi1200
    (female)

Mimi1200 HB User
    Need advice on recovering from sinus surgery....

ENT has recommended surgery to fix my septum and open nasal passages. He really hasn't gone over the recovery process other than I will be out of work for a week and cannot travel for two weeks. Can anyone tell me what you have experienced? Are you swollen? Can you blow your nose? Is there any congestion after the surgery? Did the surgery work for you? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Need advice on recovering from sinus surgery....

The surgery worked brilliantly for me (knock on wood...)

I had Nasal Airway reconstruction surgery (NAS), a BFESS, and a turbinate reduction. Basically, they corrected the septum, cleaned out the sinuses, reduced the turbinates, and opened the air passages wider.

Some considerations...

1. My voice is permanently different. Not dramatically different, but I don't sound the same. If you are a singer, this is a big deal. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

2. After surgery, your biggest discomfort will be a sore throat from the breathing tube. They take this out while you are asleep. The sore throat lasts for about 8 hours or so, so ask for a bunch of ice and ice cream.

3. They will provide you with IV fluids and antibiotics. This means you will have to urinate at least once an hour. have the nurse leave a couple containers at your bedside, so you don't have to keep ringing her over and over again.

4. Expect NO sleep the night after surgery. You won't be able to breathe out your nose, and your throat irritation will keep you up -not to mention all the fluid intake. Just watch movies all night -reading will be difficult.

5. Chances are, they will put two splints into your nose, that will be removed 24 hours after surgery. It will hurt a bit when they remove them, but nothing major. You can then start breathing!

6. I recommend only taking one dose of morphene after surgery. It causes constipation in a big way! So less is better. You will not be in very much pain at all.

When they send you home, have someone else drive. They will probably give you an antibiotic and Prednisone. The prednisone is an immuno-suppressant, so don't leave the house while you are on it. If a kid sneezes on you, you will get sick, and that is the last thing you need! Ask the doctor if her os she can give you a non-floroquinolone antibiotic (NOT Levaquin or Avelox). Augmentin is good. Levaquin and Avelox are harsh, and have side-effects that make your sinus condition look like a sniffle.

Other than an adverse drug reaction, my recovery went great. After one week, I felt considerably better. My sinus problems are 100% gone, and even my allergies are better.

Remember to make a follow-up appointment with your ENT to get scar tissue removed one week after surgery. This is unpleasant, but very necessary. Only takes 5 minutes or so.

Gunk will be coming out your nose for 3 weeks, so irrigate and have lots of tissue on hand.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I should also mention that the swelling went down within a few days, and I didn't have black eyes.

Don't blow your nose until at least 2 weeks after surgery. Just spray saline up there and watch the gunk fall out.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

I just had surgery Friday. I wish they had told me to take the week off. They told me most people go back to work the next day. Then AFTER the surgery, when I still felt like hell 4 days later, they told me that was normal and that I wouldn't really feel better for a month. Grrrr.

Anyway ... They gave me Vidocin, but I only took two doses, because it kep me from going all the way to sleep or waking all the way up. After two doses I switched to Tylenol, which has been fine.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
    carlita

carlita HB User

I had sinus surgery on March 30th and I DEFINITELY think it was worth it. I actually can BREATHE!!!! Here are some things to consider (I agree with most things already said)
    1. you won't sleep the first night. I didnt have packing or splints, but I had my head propped up with about 4 pillows. It wasn't too fun.
    2. try to keep taking the painkillers to a minimum. otherwise you will be out of it, and won't be able to sleep, and constipated. (i learned this the hard way)
    3. you will feel very stuffed up for a week or so. this is irritating but totally normal.
    4. it takes a week or two to actually sleep well. and when you do, its heaven!

luckily, i wasnt working at the time (i lost my job to being so sick all the time) but if you are working take a week or so off. you will need it.

my question to you people out there.... when you finally blow your nose... do you have some scary things??? i say this because i blew my nose this morning and the biggest booger (sorry for my word... cant think of anything else to say) came out. it was bigger than a half dollar and dark dark blood. (so i assume its old?) i will tell you, it took it out of me for today. it scared me.
    can anyone relate??

and as far as smell goes, i havent been able to smell since last june. i have slowly been getting it back, and things are starting to taste way better.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
    Mimi1200
    (female)

Mimi1200 HB User

Crossbow, if you just had surgery Friday, why was it recommended? I have congestion flare-ups about 8 times a year and I'm not allergic to anything. This has only started happening since my son was born....4-years ago.

Last edited by Mimi1200; 04-21-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
    Loretta1966

Loretta1966 HB User

Does anyone have any advice for me....my daughter, she's 11, will be having the surgery on the 13th of May. The doctor reccommended an ethmoidetomy for the relief of chronic maxillary sinusitus. She can not breathe through her nose at all and has headaches alot and is constantly blowing out this goop that doesn't even look like snot, more like rubber cement.. Appairently she has narrowing up there form all the infections over the years and the stuff up there has nowhere to go, so it keeps getting re-infected and they need to go in and remove the crap and improve the drainage by widening it. I am really scared...more than she. What can I do up until the surgery and how do I make her recovery a successful one?

thanks~ Loretta in Michigan~

Old 05-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
    Mabulok
    (female)

Mabulok HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlita
    I had sinus surgery on March 30th and I DEFINITELY think it was worth it. I actually can BREATHE!!!! Here are some things to consider (I agree with most things already said)
    1. you won't sleep the first night. I didnt have packing or splints, but I had my head propped up with about 4 pillows. It wasn't too fun.
    2. try to keep taking the painkillers to a minimum. otherwise you will be out of it, and won't be able to sleep, and constipated. (i learned this the hard way)
    3. you will feel very stuffed up for a week or so. this is irritating but totally normal.
    4. it takes a week or two to actually sleep well. and when you do, its heaven!

luckily, i wasnt working at the time (i lost my job to being so sick all the time) but if you are working take a week or so off. you will need it.

my question to you people out there.... when you finally blow your nose... do you have some scary things??? i say this because i blew my nose this morning and the biggest booger (sorry for my word... cant think of anything else to say) came out. it was bigger than a half dollar and dark dark blood. (so i assume its old?) i will tell you, it took it out of me for today. it scared me.
    can anyone relate??

and as far as smell goes, i havent been able to smell since last june. i have slowly been getting it back, and things are starting to taste way better.
    Yeh, I too had the BIG BOOGER effect! Except that my nasal passages were unusually clear for the 2-3 weeks following surgery. And the pain in my frontals wasn't getting any better. So I decided to try and do some real irrigation, the kind mentioned in another thread on this board. And when I did that I finally got some real gunk to come out, even some I'm pretty sure was in there from before surgery. Only thing that I'm aware of that you should be concerned about is bleeding of more than a teaspoon or so. If that happens, an immediate call to your ENT and/or a visit to him or emergency room is in order.

Good luck all in your recovery, I hope yours is as good as mine has been!

Old 05-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
    mccastle

mccastle HB User

I had surgery 02/23/04. If surgery would have been on Friday I feel that I could have returned the on Monday. But I also had my tonsils removed to I was out for two weeks. Really 1 week is really all you might need. I little bit of bloody drainage for about two days. I did not have any swelling. My voice is a little different also. Not as nasal. Plan to sleep with your head elivated for a couple of weeks. Use nasal saline spray to keep nose inside moist. You will feel so much better afterwards.

Carrie

Old 05-11-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
    Holiday12

Holiday12 HB User

Hey I have had the Surgery three times, each time it wasn't too bad the third time I had the best ENT doc in the state and some say around ,so he was rather aggresive that was the one I felt the most took about 2-3 weeks to fully recover. I had a little bit of a dull pain a little feeling of fullness in my head but nothing compared to the horrible pain of sinus infections, just take it easy don't lift anything heavy and make sure you have a good doctor that specilizes in surgery not offices visits. How can you tell? If he performs surgery only 2 or three times a month and he does 2-4 each surgery look out.
    You want someone that perform surgery weekly aleast 2 days a week that is an expert. Trust me I learned the hard way that is wht I had 3 surgerys it took 2 surgery before I got an expert for the 3rd who did the job right.
    Good luck!

Closed Thread