It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• How do you know if it's really TMJ or sinus problems (not necessarily an infection)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    How do you know if it's really TMJ or sinus problems (not necessarily an infection)

Does anyone experience mild pain in the sinuses with TMJ? I only have pain with sinuses on the same side as I have my TMJ symptoms (left side) even though I was told my TMJ was was on the right side....How is that!

Last edited by singer1; 04-23-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
    Idgiebay

Idgiebay HB User
    Re: How do you know if it's really TMJ or sinus problems (not necessarily an infection)

Well, whenever I get my bad headaches, I usually feel pressure in my forehead and sinus region immetiately after. I don't know if it's related to TMJ, though. I just went to my doctor today and she told me it could be.

Do you ever get bad headaches or feel lightheaded?

Old 04-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Re: How do you know if it's really TMJ or sinus problems (not necessarily an infection)

yes, but that could also be allergies. Do you get light headed? I don't think that is TMJ related. Could be wrong though

Old 04-25-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
    Cymy Sue
    Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User

TMJ problems can affect your sinuses. The muscles in a spasmed or tightened state will keep your sinuses from draining properly and cause pressure and congestion, without infection. Always check with a Doc and make sure you don't have infection.

"A report I read from a Swedish Univ. very simply says that with all of the muscles of mastication so very dependent on each other and the intricasy of the neural network, that anyone with TMJD would most likely suffer from some form of sinus cavity abnormality. In short, the neurotransmitters do not send the correct signals or the signals get blocked and the sinuses do not drain properly, so we have sinus problems and congestion."

Many times, having symtoms worse on one side or the side not affected by TMJD is due to muscles spasming or compensating on the affected side.

Many TMJ patients suffer with dizziness. I don't understand exactly why this happens. Some theories are, the neck muscles cause these problems and others say it's ear involvement. Regardless, if you have ruled out any ear related disorders, it is normally the muscles that are affected by TMJ problems in one area or the other.

Cymy Sue

Last edited by Cymy Sue; 04-25-2004 at 03:49 AM.

Old 04-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Thanks, this has been very helpful information!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread