It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Poll: Are you satisfied with the results from your sinus surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
    Mimi1200
    (female)

Mimi1200 HB User
    Poll: Are you satisfied with the results from your sinus surgery?

I am getting closer to my sinus surgery date and I'm getting cold feet. Please share your experience with me......

Last edited by Mimi1200; 05-20-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Poll: Are you satisfied with the results from your sinus surgery?

I had my surgery March 19th. Everything went smoothly, including the follow-up, where they clean the sinuses, etc.

However, the medication they gave me (Avelox) caused nerve damage in my elbows, wrists, and ankles (adverse reaction). It took 15 blood tests, 3 EMGs, and several physical exams to conclude that the Avelox was to blame -not happy at all about that! I later learned that there are thousands of people suffering from these ADRs (Levaquin, Cipro, etc)

So I go in last week to get scar tissue removed, and I refuse any additional steroids or antibiotics. Naturally, 2 days later, I develop a sinus infection. I'm now on Augmentin to clear that up -but I'm worried about the Prednisone. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I should say, however, that if you have structural problems with the nose, they should be corrected. But insist on Augmentin, and stay away from the quinolones (Levaquin, Avelox, Floxin, Cipro). Don't let any doctor tell you "it is extremely rare to get a bad side effect" -that's a bunch of b.s.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
    Mabulok
    (female)

Mabulok HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi1200
    I am getting closer to my sinus surgery date and I'm getting cold feet. Please share your experience with me......
    I too had surgury about a month and a half ago. It went well and the antibiotics given were Biaxin...no side effects. They drained my right sinus as well as increasing it's size to promote drainage and improved breathing. About 3 weeks following I was increasingly frustrated as the sinus pressure and pain that I went in for initially had not subsided, nor gotten any better for that matter. Had me on the usual clean sinus with saline, spray with decongestant, then steroid spray. Seems I was more congested using this routine than I was ever before! Sooooo, I decided to take matters under my own control and began doing extensive research, and stumbled upon a method of irrigating the sinus upside-down using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, water, and saline. And to my amazement I finally found some relief. First week's irrigations I was getting some real gross stuff out-thought this was supposed to be removed with surgury...well I guess they missed it. Some research points to it being a fungus. Whatever it was, each time I expelled this crap I felt MUCH better. I've even found where some ENT's are actually doing the irrigation with a cather-type instrument and spraying the entire sinus cavaity with a saline solution to clean it. Now that's the type of treatment I would've like to have. More than likely I needed my sinuses enlarged to prevent another obstruction, but I sure would've like to have them cleaned thoroughly while they were in there Also, I asked my ENT if they found anything in the biopsy from the material removed. His reply: well...we didn't check it since we were removing everything anyway, and had you on antibiotics. Now what kind of garbage is that? Antibiotics are not the cure-all for everything that ails mankind. And I shure would've like to know if that stuff in me was infected, perhaps with a fungus or bacteria. It would've given us a starting point for further treatment since the surgury didn't relieve my sinus pressure!!!

Well, needless to say, if I am EVER recommended for surgury again, regardless of what it's for, I will definitely do a lot more research into finding those physicians on the cutting edge of science, and then make my decision with the information I have obtained. I just believe there are a lot more options for sufferers, and many more less invasive solutions to our problems that in fact may work better! Just some thoughts for you to keep in mind, and some probing questions to ask your physician BEFORE you have surgury...ie. a biopsy in NECESSARY, not an option. I hope I didn't scare you, I just think you should be informed...

Old 05-23-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User

Has anyone used tea tree oil?

Last edited by david23m; 05-23-2004 at 02:18 AM.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
    angmattoni
    (female)

angmattoni HB User

I had sinus surgery several years ago and would never do it again. I should have listened to the others that had it done and noticed no difference. I wouldn't have cared because it was covered by insurance but I was lied to be the office when they said it would not be painful. Well it wasn't that bad until the packing was taken out. There was two pieces in each nostril that had to be removed so that was 4 different times of torture when they pulled them out. I felt a cracking or breaking sensation accoppanied by severe pain each time. My husband was there to support me and he almost passed out from watching it. Just make sure you know how they are going to pack your nose, etc...

Old 06-23-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

The surgery went fine for me. The drugs ruined my health.

I'm still fighting nerve damage from the quinolone antibiotics they gave me. It's been 3 months since surgery, and still have drug side-effects.

If you have a physical problem (deviated septum, etc.) surgery may be the only way to solve your sinus problems. But make sure they don't give you quinolones or floroquinolone antibiotics (Avelox, Levaquin, Floxin, Cipro, Tequin) in pill form OR IV form following surgery. These drugs are the most dangerous drugs prescribed, causing life-altering, crippling side-effects. 50% of people who suffer an Adverse reaction end up on disability, sometimes permanently, with irreversible tendon, nerve, and central nervous system damage.

Doctors have no idea what they are prescribing, and not even the pharmacutical companies understand the side-effects of these drugs. 60 Minutes did an expose on the drug Floxin in 1998, showing that the "under 1%" of people who suffered a terrible ADR, was actually more like 10%, since much of it went unreported, was covered up, or was ignored.

Class action lawsuits are being formed as we speak, against companies like Bayer. Quinolones will become the next Phen Phen.

If any doctor tells you "side effects are extremely rare" he is either lying or ignorant. There are 8000 research articles pointing to the nasty ADRs of quinolones. Several websites can tell you a lot more. One is fqvictims.org, another is drugvictims.org, and the yahoo group for quinolones.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
    Super123

Super123 HB User

I had surgery a week ago. Fixed a badly deviated septum, sinus surgery on both sides, right maxillary and left maxillary. ethmoids, and left middle turbinectomy.

So far, so good. Went for post -op cleaning two days ago... the most unpleasant part was the numbing of the nasal cavity, but I'm not complaining! Getting the packing out of the left side after surgery was rather painful, but it lasted a few seconds.

There has been a definite improvement. For one thing, the left side is now wiiiide open. The right side gets a bit intermittently stuffy now, but the doc said that everything is still a bit swollen in there, a bit raw, and that things will only improve from here. The sutures along the septal wall at the nostril are dissolving, and don't hurt as much. I really can't blow my nose yet, but I am letting my self exhale through my nose somewhat more vigorously and that helps. In the mornings I am somewhat gunked with bloody mucous, but I am spraying with saline and spitting, which seems to help loosen stuff up. I have a regimen of care for my postsurgical nose that I am meticulously adhereing to- spray with saline, swab with peroxide on a q-tip followed by bacitracin. I do this at least six times a day. There are crusts that develop that are somewhat uncomfortable, but spraying helps keep things moist.

As far as drugs go, the antibiotic I was given was Duracef (cefadroxil), a very mild antibiotic used mainly for skin infections, presumably to prevent wound infection. I didn't have an active sinus infection at the time of surgery so a big gun like Augmentin wasn't needed.

So, to answer the question in the title of the thread: It's still been only a week since surgery, so I'm not completely healed, but so far, so good. I'm back at work today, with a only a very small amount of discomfort. The septal repair alone was worth it. In fact, that was the main cause of my sinus problems, the obstruction.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I should mention that Augmentin is fine. It is not a quinolone. I had very good luck with it recently, and the only issue was some gastro-intestinal discomfort (mild).

Anything with "oxin" at the end of it is dangerous.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #9
    beach_tiglet

beach_tiglet HB User

The sinus surgery did not help me at all. I get just as many sinus infections after the surgery as I did before, if not more. I was exhausted beyond belief for 6 weeks and could barely work the 8 hours a day before going home and collapsing. I would not do it again with out multiple opinions.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #10
    Super123

Super123 HB User

There are many factors that determine what the outcome of sinus surgery (or for that matter, any surgery) will be. With sinus, things like:

What was overall health like before? Generally, those with poor underlying health, high blood pressure, diabetes, smokers, etc. will not heal as well, and are higher surgical risks.

Was there an anatomic abnormality? If there is any abberant nasal architechture, like a deviated septum (my case), enlarged turbinates, etc. that pose a physical obstruction to sinus function, then surgery to correct/remove physicalb obstruction will likely resolve the problem. If, OTOH, there is no discrete anatomical abnormality, and the sinusitis is due to external factors (allergies, chronic fungal infection, chemical exposure, etc.) then surgery will improve sinus drainage and functionality but will not eliminate the underlying cause. Even after surgery, proper sinus care is essential, with control of allergies and regular irrigation.

My surgeon did tell me that he has better surgical outcomes because he doesn't operate on everyone. He only operates on those who he feels are likely to benefit from it. In my case, I had a definite anatomic abnormality that would greatly benefit from repair.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
    Bella535
    Veteran

Bella535 HB User

I was also told by my doctors that I should look into having that surgery but it seems that whoever I speak to didnt think it was worth it and now I happen to read this post and I see that it really is worthless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
    beach_tiglet

beach_tiglet HB User

I think it's a matter of finding an ENT like super123 has. I don't know that I was a good candidate for surgery, I don't know that it was even necessary now. Once I found an ENT like super123's (AFTER my surgery), I started the irrigation process, switched allergists, and started getting everything under control. Since it's better now and there appears to be a basic immune system problem that was missed, I doubt seriously that my new ENT would have recommended surgery in the first place. Get many opinions prior to getting surgery is my motto. It does help a lot of people. It is unnecessary and overperformed by a lot of surgeons as a quick fix unfortunately.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
    Super123

Super123 HB User

I have to say, I am almost three weeks post-op, and I feel wonderful. Everything is healing up great. I can breathe. I still get intermittently stuffy just a *bit* on my right side (the side that was opposite the deviation) but it's minimal and it will only improve from here. It's hard to believe I went for years sufferring.

I think in properly selected candidates, surgery can make a world of difference.

Closed Thread