It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus/Septum Surgery -now Im deviatied again?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
    papergoods
    (female)

papergoods HB User
    Question Sinus/Septum Surgery -now Im deviatied again?

Hi all

I had to make a hard decision to have laser sinus surgery this march 2004, now im a little over 2 months out and my ears started to hurt really bad. A different doc (ear doc) orders an MRI of my ET tubes and sinus area (ive had sinus infections on for like a year) and it says my septum is deviated???

It says "bony nasal septum deviated to the right associated with a spur that impacts the right inferior turnbinate"

I called and they said maybe I bumped into something...but Ive been so careful I think I would have remembered. Is this normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
    Super123

Super123 HB User
    Re: Sinus/Septum Surgery -now Im deviatied again?

Hi Paper,

Did the original sinus surgery include a septoplasty? In other words, was your septum fixed once already along with the sinuses? I didn't see you mention that anywhere.

If it was, and the cartilaginous septum was fixed, it is possible for the septum to re-deviate due to cartilage "memory"-- basically, the septal cartilage is flexible, but having been in a deviated position for so long will gravitate back toward it's original position, like flexible plastic that's been bent for a long time.

However, your CT results indicate a bony septum deviation, and if bone is fixed it won't re-deviate; so either you had only the cartilaginous septum repaired or had no septal repair at all. Or, you hit your nose and deviated your septum after the first procedure.

I think though, that the root cause of your problem right now is the fact that your procedure was a laser procedure, which does not have as good outcomes as FESS with microdebrider.

Last edited by Super123; 06-03-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
    papergoods
    (female)

papergoods HB User

Thank you for the detailed response. What is FESS with microdebrider? Does that involve cutting the nose open? thats the part I didn't want.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

I had the septum correction surgery (they fixed the bone and the cartilage). It is still crooked and my nose is "tighter" on one side. It is not a perfect procedure.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
    Super123

Super123 HB User

Paper,

FESS= functional endocscopic sinus surgery. It is done through the nose (endoscopically), thus does not involve cutting the nose open. The microdebrider is a tool that cuts/shaves tissue and suctions it away immediately.

MrsLee, you are right that it is not a perfect procedure. Skill of the surgeon as well as patient factors (anatomy, thin or weak cartilage, etc) are involved. In my case I have a bony septal spur and a bony deviation as well as cartilage, so there should be a definite difference afterward. Of course, we will see!

Closed Thread