It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Scared Sinus Surgery Has Failed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User
    Unhappy Scared Sinus Surgery Has Failed

In Sept. of '99, I had a pretty radical sinus and nasal surgery, some septoplasty, and had been doing so well. I was done with living on antibiotics for chronic sinus infections, and living a life I never had.

Now, I find myself feeling bad on that always-a-problem left side again! I had a minor infection about two months ago, and a few doxycyclenes cleared it up. I didn't worry. Now, I'm worried. I'm feeling bad again, feel almost like the old days prior the surgery on that left side, my head feels full of something, and I have this odor in there like it smelled after the surgery. Oh yes, and I had a pain today over my left eye! "Great!" My surgeon had made little comments like he was afraid it might not hold, but at the time, I thought he was jokingly putting down his own expertise. Now, I think he felt it would not hold!

I saw one ent that two months ago, and after peering in there with his slender light, he did say the left side opening was a bit smaller than the right, but otherwise, things looked good. Well, they would after the antibiotics! So, now, I'm going to make an appt. with the surgeon who did the operation, and see if he feels things have failed. I dread this, because I'm afraid they have.

Has anyone here ever had sinus surgery (endoscopic) and had things to cave in again after a few short years? This was the type surgery where you wear the smothering stints for a week, then they are removed. Thanks for stopping in and reading my bad news post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Scared Sinus Surgery Has Failed

Before you panic Tony, I would try a few things...

you want to open the left side up again. The soft tissue is probably swollen, and there may even be scar tissue obstruction. Did the surgeon remove scar tissue after your surgery? Mine did, twice. It was unpleasant, but necessary.

The following protocol should set you straight

1. 10 days of Augmentin 875MG twice a day.
    2. One Medrol dose pack (Prednisone) -6 days (a low dose)
    3. Irrigation twice a day, using a machine and the following solution
    a) warm water
    b) non-iodized salt
    c) 30ml of Alkalol (a mucus solvent you can order from the pharmacy)

the machine costs about $130 or so -but it is the best thing I've ever used for chronic sinus problems.

After that, you should feel pretty good. Continue to irrigate, and get some Astelin nasal spray and Sinofresh for daily use.

If allergies are a problem, look into immunotherapy.

Avoid the following
    Quinolones (Levaquin, Avelox, Cipro): they have horrible side-effects. You don't want ruptured tendons, peripheral neuropathy, psychosis, etc. These drugs a VERY dangerous.

Flonase: Makes the nose bleed, and causes general irritation. I thought it was useless.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hi, Chiggins, and thanks! I'm going offline, but I'm going to print off your very helpful reply. I don't think the surgeon removed any scar tissue, but I made an app. today to see him next week. I will let you know the results of the visit. Now to print it off! Thanks and we'll see you later.

Last edited by Anxiety Man; 06-14-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

chiggins1066, what is wrong with cipro? before i was on it, every month, for an infection, for couple years (on it, almost everymonth) I forget how old i started it, but i stopped taking when i was 13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Red face Re: Scared Sinus Surgery Has Failed

****o is one of the most dangerous drugs on the market. Check out www.fqvictims.org, also, check out this guy's story at http://www.antibiotics.org/resources/Personal-Stories.html.

Cipro is what's known as a floroquinolone, and it is not really an antibiotic, but a form of chemotherapy. Avelox is another one.

I took Avelox in March. I was left with allergic vasculitis, bilateral ulnar neuritis, nerve damage in the feet, tendonitis in the wrists and ankles, and nasty rashes. My symptoms have gone on for 2 1/2 months after quitting the drug. I have $5000 in medical bills (drugs, physical therapy, etc.)

Other people end up with bilateral Achilles tendon ruptures, peripheral neuropathy, heart and liver failure, Stevens Johnson Syndrome (in which your immune system attacks you skin and burns you from the insid out).

the quinolone group on yahoo (victims essentially) has something like 1200 memebers. Since most adverse reactions go unreported, it is estimated that they occur in the order of tens of thousands a year.

Quinolones cause something called small vessel vasculitis, in which your connective tissues are starved of blood. In people who have an allergy to the drug, their immune system can bind with an element of the drug forming an immuno-complex, which then goes on to attack your skin, joints, organs, you name it.

Side effects from Cipro don't go away, and they might kill you. There are members of the quinolone group who have commited suicide because they were in so much pain and misery from the drug.

So to make a long story short, I would never again take a quinolone.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

isnt cipro a pain killer?
    i took it for an infection, and it helped it go away

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Cipro is the most powerful antibacterial drug on the market. It is able to penetrate bone, and is normally reserved for very bad infections which have not responded to traditional antibiotics. It is "the big gun", otherwise known as "the cure that kills."

I don't know how you could have been on this drug for so long. Were you exposed to Anthrax or something?

Unless you are confusing Cipro with Isoniazid, an antibiotic used to treat people who have been exposed to TB (I was on this for 6 months).

Old 06-15-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

This info scares me to death! My wife has been given Cipro at different times, and I have too really. Only she suffers with rheumatoid arthritis, and has been going through horrible times with all kinds of symptoms. It has been a very long time since she was given Cipro, but she was given Levaquin a few weeks ago for an infection. She is on prednisone and has been since 1997, but she has lost weight so badly here lately, she looks bulemic! She also is battling a mouth ulcer. I just hope she hasn't been hurt by Cipro.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Many people think they have rheumatoid arthritis, only to find out that it was the Cipro that did the damage. I wen in for extensive rheumatoid testing (which was negative) after my Avelox ADR.

I lost 20 pounds. I've gained about 8 of it back in the 2 months post Avelox.

The danger signs of Cipro are joint pain, tingling, burning, and fatigue. A real red flag is pain in the Achilles tendons or any kind of red rash.

The only reason Cipro should ever be given out, is for severe bacterial infections that have penetrated bone, and live in an environment without oxygen (sinus cavities, bone infections in the leg, etc.)

It should NEVER be given out for UTIs, Kidney infections, bronchitis, etc.

In my case, I had to take Avelox, because the infection had penetrated the bone and soft tissue of my sinuses.

Crack is safer than Levaquin. There are 770 members (official count) in the quinolone group on yahoo. Most of them have suffered severe, life-altering ADRs, that have required hospitalization, disability, etc.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

My wife has had r.a. for years prior being given Cipro. Her r.a. Dr. and bloodwork confirmed that. She has no rashes or Achilles tendon problems. I think I panicked when I shouldn't have. I do plan on sharing these posts with her Dr. to see what he thinks, but mainly, we just won't let her be given these drugs henceforth. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

i took cipro, cuz nothing else helped, i was sick from age 4-13 with bladder infections every month, but i forget when i started cipro tho. i had no side effects whatsoever, i think. the only problems with me now (im 17) is 12 allergies and a back problem that i got about a year ago, and that is not bad

Old 06-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #12
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

also no other antibotic would make the infection the infection disapear. I had tried many other antibiotics before cipro, which did help it go away.... eventually, i took cipro couple times a month for awhile.

I wonder if my doctor knew about trhe effects of cipro.. do you know if it causes back pain like 4 year later after i took it??

Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #13
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

after thinking about it, i think i took cipro since i was 11(i think)... cant remember fully, might ask my boss (my pharmacist! if the computer goes that ar back).. I did try other antibiotics, before my doc prescribed cipro.. cipro was the one that really helped! at the beginning, cipro was combiined w/a different med, but eventually, i only took cipro. Cipro, was the med that actually healed my infection.. finally.

I didnt take it every single day of the month.. i think he prescriped it for a week-2 weeks, dont remember..it has been about 4 1/2 years since i took it.

now im on med (when needed) for my back, and if needed over the counter allergy medicine, and if needed nasonex, lol, I hardly ever have to take them (or want. lol)

Closed Thread