It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinuses or anxiety coming back?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
    Jchandra88

Jchandra88 HB User
    Sinuses or anxiety coming back?

I never had allergies while growing up, but this past year, my sinuses have really been killing me. I don't know why.. I used to get sinus headache all the time, but thankfully, those died off.. usually only get them during the spring time. I suffer from some kind of anxiety disorder, and the majority of the symptoms started in May. Since then, they've simmered down till I began to feel almost normal again. But lately (like today), it seems like it's threatening to come back. I'm starting to get dizzy and it's hard to focus on things. I just went to a movie and started feeling palpitations again, and being short of breath, and the fatique is also inching its way back. I quit St. Johns Wort a few weeks ago, and I think I'll start up again, but other than that, I don't know what to do...

Do sinus problems make people dizzy or lightheaded? My husband says sometimes the sinus problems make him somewhat dizzy... Is that what others experience also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Sinuses or anxiety coming back?

I've had sinus and allergy problems my whole life and they most certainly can make you very dizzy.
    They also make me very tired and give your head that "Spaced Out" feeling.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

I have chronic sinusitis and I feel like my head is in the clouds 24/7. IT IS AWFUL. I have only had this the past few years and I have tried everything. As a last resort, I am going to give acupuncture a try. I went for my first visit yesterday and it seems promising. The woman told me I had a lot of congestion in my sinuses and that it can make you feel lightheaded constantly. It is the scariest thing I have ever had to deal with. But, my doctor kept telling me for almost two years that it was a variant of panic attacks. I never knew what a panic attack was until this doctor tried to convince me I was depressed. I knew in my heart, that wasn;t it so I found a new doctor who told me allegies (especially sinus) can make your life hell. I would look into the acupuncture if I were you because there is a lot of information to support it. When you think about it, eastern medicine treats the sinus probelms with decongestants and things like that, but acupuncture works to clear passages so you don't need medications. Acupuncture can really help and I am praying it helps me. Do you get a lot of headaches and feel really tired all the time? Sinus congestion can do that and I know it can make you lightheaded and you think it is anxiety because you get scared. I'm sorry to go on, but I have been MISERABLE for almost two years, and I think if I had a doctor who lostened to me 2 yrs ago, then I wouldn;t have had to go through all of this. I was also wondering which state you live in b/ I think that makes a difference.

Last edited by monarchangel; 07-08-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
    Jchandra88

Jchandra88 HB User

Well, I did have other side effects besides the dizziness and tiredness. (And yes, I am tired quite a bit). That's why I thought it was something I was going to die from...then learned that all of the symptoms from which I was suffering others suffer from also, and they all have anxiety problems. I had a whole bunch of tests done (as most people do), and nothing turned up. I live on Sudafed and Ibuprofen during the spring when the weather's at its weirdest. I live in Michigan, so the weather's pretty unconstant. I don't think I have allergies, but it's certainly possible. I tried Claritin and it didn't do anything for me. Mostly what's bothering me is the lightheaded feeling and feeling tired...I wondered if it was because I wasn't getting enough sleep...but a few years ago when I was a freshman in college, I pulled allnighters and lived on 4 hours of sleep per night. Now I can't do that.. I try to get a sufficient amount of sleep...like between 7-8 hours. Most of the time I can get that much. So I don't think it's lack of sleep...

Thanks for the replies by the way!!

Old 07-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

You know what, I experience the same things you do. Isn't that lightheaded feeling scary? I get it 24/7 and I hate it. I am praying the acupuncture works. I am going again next Wednesady so I'll let you know if it helps. Also, people develop allergies at any age. I never had this problem until a couple of years ago. My congestion is all in my nose and I feel like I can't breathe right. My doctor told me it was anxiety. but anxiety would not be 24/7. If you experience that feeling all the time, I think it is more likely allergies.

Last edited by monarchangel; 07-09-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monarchangel
    You know what, I experience the same things you do. Isn't that lightheaded feeling scary? I get it 24/7 and I hate it. I am praying the acupuncture works. I am going again next Wednesady so I'll let you know if it helps. Also, people develop allergies at any age. I never had this problem until a couple of years ago. My congestion is all in my nose and I feel like I can't breathe right. My doctor told me it was anxiety. but anxiety would not be 24/7. If you experience that feeling all the time, I think it is more likely allergies.
    If your nose is so stuff you can't breathe, that is not anxiety, that is a sinus problem. I suffer from PTSD and I also have sinus, but at least I can tell the doctor the difference between the two. You probably do have anxiety and when you can't breath right out of your nose and the pressure in your sinus make you dizzy, you get more anxiety from it cause it's bothering you. Find another doctor. Some doctors do not like to deal with people who have anxiety. Trust me.

Andrea

Old 07-11-2004, 12:35 PM   #7
    balsaaq
    (male)

balsaaq HB User

Allegries and sinisitis cause your sinus bones to swell which in turn block airways to your nose which cause you to get stuffed up, if this stuffiness is allowed to continue it can affect you estation tubes which can cause dizziness. The problem is that the lightheadness and dizziness can cause your nervous system to over react, also the nasal stuffiness can trick your body into thinking its suffocating, which in turn causes hyperventalition and shallow breathing, which can cause dizziness and anxiety. The doctor was not far off when he diagnosed you with depression. When your body is consantly fighting an up hill battle and things are only getting worse, depression can soon find a strong hold. Unfortunaly the doctor wanted to activly treat the depression instead of directly treating the source of the depression, the allergies and sinisitis.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #8
    eltwins
    (female)

eltwins HB User

Back in February I went to the docs. with sinus pain and was given antibiotics which worked for a few days after the course of tablets, then returned, but on and off. I put up with it as I had what I though were other health issues....palpatations, anxiety, panic attacks, sleeplessness and nausea. Today I went to the docs. yet again and he things it could all be down to the sinuses. Even the nausea, which he says could be what is called 'the sinus drip', especially as it is bad first thing in the morning. I get a film of stuff at the back of the throat which makes me gag when I brush my teeth in the morning and which I have to cough up and spit out. (Sorry for being so graphic). Has anyone else experienced nausea with their sinus problems?

Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

OK I have the same thing. I am always nauseous. I mean always. It comes and goes, but it is awful. And my sinuses are always congested. Just like you, I thought I had anxiety, and panic attacks. But the thing is, my sinus problems became real bad a few years ago, and that is also when my anxiety was bad. Soemtimes in the shower I really feel like I am going to fall over. My doctor wanted me to take antianxiety pills, and I refused. I convinced myself for so long that I had anxiety, but I know it has something to do with my sinuses. Let me ask you, do you feel really lightheaded and just wierd all day. I get that 24/7. It's like I 'm not breathing right and I am so sick of it. I hate taking sudafed and advil all day. I just started acupuncture last week and I am seriously praying that it works because I don't know what to do anymore. I am going again Wed so I'll let you know if it works. I don's even care how much it costs, because right now, I can't even work, so i will be worth it.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
    eltwins
    (female)

eltwins HB User

I do feel weird all day and am sick of waking up (early) and feeling awful yet again. It has only been three months for me though. I just look at everyone else and wish that I could feel good like them. Today, my sinuses are really bad and I also have a tickly cough, which kept me awake all night, which doesn't help my early waking problem. It is weird this sinus / anxiety link though.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
    balsaaq
    (male)

balsaaq HB User

I just read a bit of The Sinus Cure, its pretty good, it mentions the link between the two disorders, you should check it out......its co-authored by Grossan, the profiteer behind sinus irrigation..

Old 07-14-2004, 04:13 AM   #12
    pingpong

pingpong HB User

Hi all, I'm new to this but have been reading your messages over the last few days as I have just been diagnosed with anxiety/panic attacks. To be honest I didn't believe him, I was convinced there was something phisically wrong, something major you know. Anyhow this sinus link is really interesting as I have suffered on & off for many years - throbbing head, in my face mainly & forehead but recently the back of my neck. Also my eyes seem to water continuously ? ..one of the better symptoms, feeling sickly often. At the moment I am sooo tired all the time I just feel exhausted.

I first thought there was a serious problem when i had difficulty breathing, I mean I felt this pressure on my chest & my throat just didn't seem to be open enough, I couldn't take a full breath & when things were getting worse I didn't have enough breath to speak. It's enough to make anyone panic ! It's just like you have all been describing, amazing & it's really helped as I have felt like I'm going mad.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #13
    Jchandra88

Jchandra88 HB User

It is really wierd - this connection between anxiety and sinus problems. I wonder why they're linked.. I guess not being able to breathe is pretty scary and is likely to cause panic. My problem wasn't so much the inability to breathe..but the heaviness and pressure in my head, in my chest, my face. And for some reason, my nose will just start running. I won't have a cold or anything...it'll just start running. Mostly, I'll still be able to get air through my nasal passages and it's not even always accompanied by a headache. The dizziness and tiredness is such a pain in the a$$! Oh, and my ears have also gone a little weird...at times, one or the other will just start to ache or there'll be a sharp pain. It always momentary, but kinda scary when it happens. Me, with my wonderful paranoia, thinking it's going to result in hearing loss (my sister's hearing impaired since birth).

Old 07-15-2004, 03:14 AM   #14
    debbiep
    (female)

debbiep HB User

Hi all this is an interesting topic as I too suffer from both panic attackes and stuffed sinuses etc....For me tho the panic attacks started first then the sinus problems came along,mmm. I have always felt the two where/are combined . Maybe there is a link !!!!! So add me in. Takecare debbiep.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
    Jchandra88

Jchandra88 HB User

It's just strange though...I bet everyone here has sinus problems more than the average person..but are they really the cause of panic attacks? I'm not sure they are.. I can usually breathe through my nose.. I don't think my sinus problems caused my disorder.. They just seem worse at the times I'm feeling the anxiety more.

Closed Thread