It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Help! Sinuses making me sleep open mouthed??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #1
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Help! Sinuses making me sleep open mouthed??

I've had sinus problems for about 3 years now, take Flonase & clarinex, sudafed as needed, & that has pretty well controlled things. However my problem is i'm used to being congested, I often don't even know when i've got a sinus infection until my ears start killing me. Well lately we're seeing that my sinuses may be causing me to sleep with my mouth open! & the results are the crowns, veneers, root canals & other extensive dental work I need at age 17! I don't falla sleep with my mouth open & it's not just when i'm laying on my back. Like i'm always waking up with my mouth open, even on my side, whatever. What's also bad is it affects my asthma, sometimes I wake up gasping for air & needing my inhaler. Sometimes I have weird vividly real dreams of watching myself struggle to breathe. It's so weird. Is there anything that helps this? Anyone else have this problem? I'm starting to really be affecting by it, especially with my teeth, I just can't brush enough, my enamel has become soft & weak. Any ideas to make me stop??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Help! Sinuses making me sleep open mouthed??

There looks like there is a couple things going on here....

have you had an ENT look at the structure of your nose? Do you have a deviated septum? Mine was so bad that I was congested for 20 years -until I had it fixed. The doctor should perform an endoscopy and a CT Scan. Don't worry about the scan, it takes 10 minutes and is painless (I just had one a couple days ago). This will show the overall structure of your sinuses, and if there are any obstructions, structural abnormalities, or deep infection.

Dealing with allergic congestion is tough. You will want to find out what you are allergic to. I'm allergic to dust mites, so I get congested when I try to sleep. A HEPA filter in the bedroom helps, as well as a hypoallergenic matress cover and pillow covers. Look into getting allergy tested, and immunotherapy.

for the congestion, I use the following

Chlor-Tremeton 12 hour tablets: this is the ONLY allergy medication that does anything for me. The stuff is awsome! It will make you sleepy the first time you take it, but your body will quickly adjust. Believe me, I've tried every mediction you can think of, and none of them did anything except this one.

Mucinex tablets: this is a mucus solvent/expectorant. Take it at night to loosen things up.

Sinus Buster nasal spray: this helps with congestion and sinus headaches. But don't use it all the time -only when you feel really lousy. It burns.

Sinofresh: to keep the nose clear of bacteria and fungus.

Most importantly, you will need to start on an irrigation routine. I use a Grossan Hydropulse machine, that allows me to blast 500ml of solution through my sinuses. Different things can be mixed with it; Alkalol, sea salt, hydrogen peroxide (if there is an active infection), and baking soda. I can give you more details on this.

See the dentist every 6 months. Breathing through the mouth causes plaque build up, etc.

If you do the things listed above, you should breathe 90% better. If all this fails, you may have to have Nasal Airway Reconstruction surgery. Not a big deal -I can give you more details about that as well.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Yeah, if your nose is stuffy, you breathe through your mouth, the results are a sore throat, etc...clear your stuffy nose, and that should solve your problem.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

altho, this isnt my board, can i also post?
    I never knew anything was wrong w/breathing thru ur mouth..? I always do, *also have continuous stuffy nose,almost always* cuz of allergies, what happens if u breath thru ur mouth all the time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

The doc told me that was a reason I had a sore throat so much...so, it causese sore throats and stuff.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

ya, i but I NEVER get sore throats.. well, extremely rarely..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Hmm...interesting. That's good, though...I get plenty, and they suck. :P So you should be happy that's not a big problem for you. I've heard that if you breathe through your mouth a lot when are you little, like still developping, as a babdy and such...your face gets deformed, teeth misaligned, etc...anyone else hear that? :O

Old 08-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
    Angelbaby03
    (female)

Angelbaby03 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Help! Sinuses making me sleep open mouthed??

Hi everyone! I have a problem with breathing with my mouth open also. About four years ago I started using over the counter nasal sprays. I used them for alot longer then 3 days (what the directions say), and I started to get rebound congestion. Finally I stopped using the nasal spray, but the severe congestion is unbaralble. Im going through the withdrawl process from the spray now. I have been off it for 11 days, but it is terrible. I breathe with my mouth open almost everynight. The reason is because when you lay down, you sinuses clog up more. What I have been doing is taking claritin 24 hr. WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT USE AFRIN, VICKS SINEX, OR ANY OVER THE CONTER NASAL SPRAYS!!!! I also have a deviated septum, and the doc said that if I kept using them, I would burn a hole in the septum. Then it would be UNTREATABLE.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Wow...those sprays...I don't know about them somes. I only use them as like a *very* last resort.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

well, i have an overbite (i think.. lol) Ive had real no problems.... I use vixk sinex.. and, nasonex.. as a last resort.. same as the rest of the meds i have. lol

Old 09-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
    Flash52

Flash52 HB User

I have a problem with soreness on my upper gums and sometimes the tip of my tongue and/or upper mouth. I have had numerous opinions - excema, gingivitis, and mouth breathing. That doesn't make sense to me because it is much better in the mornings and gets worse as the day goes on. Has anyone had experience with Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

This didn't start heppening to me until I went on a yeast-free, sugar-free diet. Now it seems like my mouth is irritated a lot. I wonder if it is a nutritional deficiency? I can't really call it burning, and it isn't severe -just annoying. But I breathe through my mouth when I sleep, so this probably has a lot to do with it.

Maybe I'll try the hot pepper method. I still have some sinus buster.

Closed Thread