It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Pain or Toothache? This Hurts!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Sinus Pain or Toothache? This Hurts!

The past few days have been very humid with high pollen. They say this can give sinus pain. My right back molars hurt. Two are root canaled (#'s 3 and 4) and #5 is not root canaled, but crowned. The pain started when I woke up and has been on and off all day. I have had this before. I will go to the dentist if this persists. The thing is, they always tell me they can't see decay on the x-ray because the metal of the crown blocks the x-ray. They can see the root, abcesses, but not the tooth itself. So how can they find out what's going on in that tooth?

I have copies of my x-rays and can see how the floor of the sinuses touches the root of those teeth. Has anyone here ever had what they thought was dental related and really was their sinuses swollen? If so, were your pains sharp or dull? The pains op for a bit then I get a real zinger. Advil hasn't really helped. The pain is not a horrible toothache but annoying enough to see a dentist as soon as I can. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone here is really knowledgeable about dentistry...my old dentist put a one-piece crown covering these 3 teeth. If the first tooth which is not root canaled has to be investigated, how can they see under the crown without botching up the all-in-one piece? Can they cut it off and somehow leave the other 2 teeth covered...I don't see how without leaving sharp edges. I am so distraught over this prospect..please advise, if anyone has worked in the dental field, regarding this part of the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
    cbale718

cbale718 HB User
    Re: Sinus Pain or Toothache? This Hurts!

I have sinuses and I know that the sinuses are located mainly in the forehead, nose area and cheek area and is not around the area where back molars are located at. I used to have severe sinus headaches and they never felt like toothaches. To me, it seems like your crowned teeth are causing you pain. Sometimes if a root canal is not done well, you will experience pain. But the chances of that are only 5% since 95% of root canals are successful. I'm guessing the pain is from the one out of the 3 where a root canal has not yet been performed on.

About the pain, when I had sever sinus headaches it was a pounding sort of pain and no sharp pain. The pain of a tooth's damaged nerve (that usually leads to requiring a root canal) is also similar in that it's a pounding and throbbing pain, but to me the pain was clearly tooth-related. Do you feel the aching anywhere else besides the tooth area? I also felt some sharp pain that usually comes from drinking cold water. But in your case you have a crown over it so I'm not so sure whether you will have such tooth sensitivity.

Last edited by cbale718; 08-22-2004 at 04:35 PM.

Closed Thread