It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• chronic sinus troubles = swelling...please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
    shaaaaag

shaaaaag HB User
    chronic sinus troubles = swelling...please help

hello everyone,

for quite some time now (coming up on a year and a half as a matter of fact) i have had some big sinus problems. i had a surgery for a deviated septum to try to get rid of this but it didn't help. my problem is that every morning i wake up and the bridge of my nose (asd usually the part of my forehead directly above it, in bad cases) is swollen up. i don't really have a bridge of my nose any more as it runs from eye to eye. i should also mention at this point that i had very bad acne and i am still treating it. i have come ot the conclusion that it was/is a demodex mite infestation as i have been using products from demodexsolutions.com and seabuckthorn oil soap with remarkable success. i originally thought the problems with my nose were due to allergic reactions to the mites but the swelling isn't subsiding enough. someone suggested it could be due to aspergillus sinusitis, because this has been a chronic problem.

what do you think? does this sound reasonable, or is it something else? i'm going to be starting some 500ppm colloidal silver am and pm, and i'm also going to get some saline solution and add some drops of the cs to try to kill whatever's up there, if it is indeed an infection of some sort. is this wise? any thoughts that anyone has on the subject would be greatly appreciated because i can't stand what this damn sinus problem is doing to me...

many thanks in advance

a few extra notes:

- i had a polyp removed at the same time as the septoplasty (septal deviation surgery)
    - for 4-5 months before the septal surgery, up until 2 months or so ago, i had been a fairly regular and heavy smoker of marijuana (i know it's stupid, and that's why i've stopped for good)
    - recently i have been having the occasional cigarette but i have sworn those off as well, along with any other kind of smoke or irritant of the ilk
    - when i wake up in the morning the swelling is worse and it gets progressivly better (up to a point) during the day
    - the more i breathe through my nose the faster the swelling _seems_ to go down
    - the overall swelling is very slowly going down but of course there are bad days, but on good days the overall swelling at the end of the day seems to be better than several months ago

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: chronic sinus troubles = swelling...please help

The swelling is rhinitis, and it is a common problem. Since this manifests in the morning, it is reasonable to assume that a dust mite allergy is at least in part to blame.

The silver doesn't work -don't waste your time.

here are, however, many home remedies that do work for this. I suffer from the same problem (chronic nasal and sinus swelling). here is what I do...

1. Irrigation twice a day, using a machine. This clears the dust and gunk from the sinuses. It also helps the cilia function better. See my post on the "art of sinus management" from a week or so ago.
    2. Chlor-Tremeton 12hour tablets, twice a day. Allegra also works, but not as well (although it is milder).
    3. Sinofresh nasal spray twice a day -kills bacteria and fungus, and keeps the nose clear of dust, etc.

This has worked very well for me. My only issue is congestion when I sleep -again, it's most likely allergies acting up. I don't like to take docongestants, because they make me relly tired.

I had the septum surgery as well (in March), but I didn't have any polyps.

How is your breathing? Are you congested all the time?
    Do you have any discolored discharge from the nose?

You may also want to try dietary modification. Eliminate all dairy and sweets from your diet and see how you feel. The dairy promotes mucus production (bad) and the refined sugar lowers your immune system.

Unfortunately, you may have to give up all the wacky tobaci and cigarettes. Best to stay away from alcohol for the time being. All this stuff just messes with the sinuses in a big way.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
    shaaaaag

shaaaaag HB User

thanks for the reply. as far as any smoking goes, i'm through with it...absolutely. i have come to learn the hard way that none of that is worth the trouble (the trouble it causes me anyway)

i have used sinofresh in the past but i don't think my sinuses were cleared out enough to be of much use. i'm planning on irrigating at least twice a day (i have the sinu-cleanse pot and enough salt to make my own "saline" for a long time to come). i'm also planning on doing some sinus floods see

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765[/url]

my breathing is usually fairly good. like i said it's the worst in the morning but throughout the day with the use of my olba's inhaler (it has menthol, eucalyptus, peppermint, and maybe something else in it but it really clears out the ole' sinuses) and just plain breathing through my nose i can get pretty consistently good airflow out of both sides most of the day. the discharge is generally clear and somewhat thick. occasionally there will be chunks of yellow stuff in it. quite often it can get thicker and whitish, too. but most of the time it is either clear or thicker and whitish.

i'll try to stay away from dairy and seriously lower my sugary carbs...but fruit, fruit juice (not the minute maid garbage but real juice) is still ok, right?

thanks again for the reply

Last edited by shaaaaag; 09-01-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #4
    shaaaaag

shaaaaag HB User

just to make sure we're on the same page, so-to-speak...the outwardly visible swelling on the bridge of my nose and forehead IS rhinitis for sure? this isn't just on the inside of my nasal passage...we are talking the bridge of my nose is puffed out to either side with inflammatory soft tissue. when i press on it it's pretty elastic and snaps back into place quickly. the bridge of my nose is like 2x its normal size. i've never seen anything like this before or heard about it before. but it is definitely rhinitis, you say?

i've been irrigating and it seems to be opening up my passageways pretty well, especially the left side, which had been having troubles lately. i use the sinu-cleanse teapot looking thing to irrigate and make my own saline with some kosher salt (i was told this does not burn). so hopefully things are looking up. i also picked up some "sneezeze" (www.sneezeze.com) but just tried it a little while ago so i will have to see how it works out. i have high hopes though

Closed Thread