It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• "minimal thickening" of sinuses?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #1
    serpentgirl
    (female)

serpentgirl HB User
    "minimal thickening" of sinuses?

Hi,

I have a question for you guys. I started feeling pressure or tension right over my eyebrows and sometimes down the sides of my nose about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was my sinuses, because I also woke up feeling extra stuffy, my ears felt clogged and my post nasal drip (which I always have) was thicker than normal the first morning I noticed it. I went to my ENT, who first said he didn't think it was my sinuses at all, but sent me for a CT scan of the head and sinuses anyway. He left a message for me the next week saying the scan of my head was perfectly normal and the scan of my sinuses showed a "minimal thickening", which was "almost normal". He didn't really explain anything to me or suggest I come back for another visit, so I called my mom and she told me a minimal thickening is an irritation or little infection of the soft tissue around the sinuses and that it's nothing to worry about. While, I am quite glad that nobody has been that concerned so far, I've had this thing for three weeks and it's really annoying. Does anyone know how long this sort of thing takes to go away and if there's anything I can take to speed up the process? I've been taking Claritin D for the past few days, but it hasn't helped. I've had post nasal drip for 2 years and nothing has cleared it up so I have no idea what will help this.

Thanks for any and all advice!

-S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    Re: "minimal thickening" of sinuses?

Some folks with mild-moderate allergic rhinitis (which may be what is causing your PND and current discomfort) need more than an antihistamine/decongestent combination. Did the ENT prescribe an inhaled steroid (Flonase, Rhinocort or Nasonex)?

The Claritin D in combination with an inhaled nasal steroid might help you out a lot. If not, you might want to see an allergist and get some testing done.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
    serpentgirl
    (female)

serpentgirl HB User

Thanks Reader1,

You're correct, I have rhinitis. I have tried Flonase and Nasonex and they did nothing for me. I haven't tried them in conjunction with Claritin D, though. I have some Nasonex left, so I may try that. I got allergy tested a few months ago. I'm allergic to dust, mold, feathers, grass, trees, pollen, etc.....you know, the usual. Thankfully I'm not allergic to animals. My ENT wanted me to start allergy shots, but I can't afford to right now. I have always had allergies to a degree, but I ignored them. They've gotten worse over the past few years. I would love to find and alternative to allergy shots, which are so expensive and there's not even a guarantee they will work....sigh!

Old 11-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
    Gab2000
    (female)

Gab2000 HB User

I have something simliar right now. The area of my left eye brow hurts... I don't know why and between my eyes... I wonder if I have the same... anyways, I hope you feel better soon...
    BTW those sprays did nothing for me either (nasonex and flonase).

Closed Thread